Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Petroglyph is up for a new game AGAIN
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [76 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject:  Petroglyph is up for a new game AGAIN
Subject description: and they call it Goo lol
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/grey-goo-preview/

Looks like total shit tbh which fits the name of "grey goo". just played southpark which was full with goo and now this xD

From End of Nations to Victory to Grey Goo... what an odyssey of fail and wasted efforts.

Oh and they liked the component towers from Tiberian Sun it seems.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked the component tower logic tbh. Sure it was sorta clunky and the AI was too stupid to properly utilize it but eh. It was fun.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now I'm sad.

Universe at War should have Owned! But, no....

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sense another Universe at War as well... and that didn't work before.

I think it is a bit early to take any conclusions about Grey Goo, except for its weird name. At least it seems to be a RTS game, which is a good thing.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finally they make some real interesting game, not random MOBA and the game that no one want  to play.

judge from screenshot graphic look really impressive but i hope this will not develop by Alamo Engine [which i consider as one of the worst 3D RTS engine that ever crate ]

i hope this game will not share the same fate like many of their previous game that die since beta version or become another EON .

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think they are really using the Alamo engine there.

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UAW had potential, but it flopped, partially because of Petroglyph and partially because of SEGA (which, as far as I know, forced Petroglyph to use Microsoft's GFWL service. Paid multiplayer for PC in 2007? Seriously.). I still had fun with it, but it wasn't worth 50€.

They hyped End of Nations, but from what I've seen the gameplay looked very slow-paced and boring. And it flopped too. So, I don't have much faith in Petroglyph making anything succesful again (it's been 10 years since EaW). But of course I'm hoping that they'll make something great again. To me this game sounds interesting despite the weird name; I just hope that they don't simplify it too much.

Quote:
Another, more futuristic race employs a different dynamic, connecting everything to a central hub. They have to play a Tetris-like expansion game of laying down conduit, planting new structures, and teleporting existing structures closer to the front line.

Sounds like Novus.

About the Alamo engine, I don't get why it's so hated. At least back in 2007-2008 it looked better than C&C3, and I ran both games at max settings. Alamo was more demanding, but not too heavy after UAW's 3rd patch. Of course the engine is very dated by now unless they've improved it a lot.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Compare to sage Alamo is very unstable performance you can easily feel slow down of the game in multiplayer even play on LAN in
 1v1 match. With single player the game still show some lag issue and all this problem not only appear on PC version but also in Xbox version. This problem of this engine appear since EAW and still there until EON and no sign to get fix.

Yeah it graphic look ok (but I think sage still look a lot better not mention RNA that look the best) but game play never smooth with this engine and it also use over performance compare to their graphic.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For me it was pretty much constant 60 FPS. Usually early in the game there were a few second-long lagspikes (I assume that's because things weren't loaded yet) but otherwise I rarely noticed any stuttering in single player or skirmish. UAW had an issue where selecting a lot of units caused an FPS drop, but that was fixed with Patch 3.

About multiplayer, on PC LAN I didn't have major issues either (there was a bit of lag, but I see the same in C&C3 when playing with many mixed performance systems). Xbox users did appear to have performance issues though; by pressing some key while playing on GFWL I could see the FPS of all players, the Xboxes constantly had it below 30.

Guess the graphics are a case of personal preference, but IIRC UAW had significantly higher resolution textures than C&C3. I haven't played RA3 though. When talking about RTS graphics, I also have to note that WiC beats both UAW and C&C3 (and most likely also RA3) anyway, although it is a lot heavier too.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking forward to seeing more, looks like it could be interesting. I now know why Frank Klepacki has been very busy!

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Another, more futuristic race employs a different dynamic, connecting everything to a central hub. They have to play a Tetris-like expansion game of laying down conduit, planting new structures, and teleporting existing structures closer to the front line.

I've seen this before, it is pretty cool, but it's the Eurasian Dynasty construction style in the third game of the Earth series (Earth 2160); excluding the teleportation part, that was the United Civilized States thing.

On relation to the UCS...
Quote:
Beta buildings have a hub-and-spoke structure. Each addition affects what they build.

Well UCS buildings were built arround a central factory unit, that had 4 pluggin sites, you could add to each a light robot factory, a heavy robot factory, an aircraft factory, research centers, teleporter, and superweapons IIRC. Refineries, powerplants and base defenses worked similarly to that...

And actually this screenshot

made me think of an UCS base, had I not known about it being from gray goo, I would have said: "nice Earth 2170 is in production".

Long history short, I'm not sure I like what I see, seems like half of Earth2160, I guess I'll wait for them to add an amazonian space bimbos faction that build their bases in exchangeable tower modules, and aliens...
That said, it might be cool, aliens had a really unique building style in Earth2160 which would work well together the name of this game, since they were based on exponential growth, though that also made them way too unbalanced... Now that I remember their ships were made of grey goo Laughing.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have not really high hopes for it...call it a bad gut feeling tho.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think their building mechanic look more like Rise of Nation series than Earth 2160 UCS [one grand structure with multiple build slot] . and i have no problem with this mechanic in RTS games at least it better than C&C4 , EAW and Dawn of War 2.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by Holy_Master on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Weta's working on this stuff?
That's pretty cool, I have to admit.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

don't know, something is putting me off, the buildings and designs look like miniatures in an artificial giant unreal environment....it does look a bit odd.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah the environment seems to depict that they are likely very tiny aliens. (Like the moose in the trailer would be gigantic godzilla's to them. Laughing )

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I away like tropical forest and swarm setting environment ,if Alamo engine not poison me again maybe i found the game that i'm interest to play since  SC2:HOTS .

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
Yeah the environment seems to depict that they are likely very tiny aliens. (Like the moose in the trailer would be gigantic godzilla's to them. Laughing )

No
Looks like they are reusing the huge/mutant plants concept they originally had for TS but never finished it because they were rushed
http://www.greybox.com/media/galleries/GG_Concept_04_1.jpg

First fanart ever!

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the Grey Goo would probably be a simile to Tiberium probably?

Nice Texts. Very Happy

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberium Mark II

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know... The contrast between the dark industrial base/units look against that of huge colorful environment, feels odd.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ApolloTD wrote:
I don't know... The contrast between the dark industrial base/units look against that of huge colorful environment, feels odd.

I believe this is perhaps semi or even fully on purpose. In relation to what orac stated...the grey goo is most likely suppose to be self-replicating nanobots and based on the video preview where those...elk/moose things are shown....the Grey Goo comes from an extraterrestrial impact. So it's completely foreign to the planet and is perhaps the cause of (sudden) industrialization of the factions that will be fighting.

Not sure what to think about it yet. Only video i've seen is that opener and it'd take at least one good one of actual gameplay for me to get a real opinion about it.

Maybe...the Grey Goo are all the tiny Benders from the Benderama episode of Futurama. afterall...they did leave Earth... or well...a mass of them did...

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah clearly it's deliberate. The natural world is destroyed by industry of course, or consumed by this grey goo.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the flora, and this "grey goo" not sure about the robots ingame, but concepts looking pretty nifty, despite the heavy Na'vi/Avatar vibe.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

to me especially the robot/mecha designs look very very generic...

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reminds me of 1:03

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09n0qd_n4c0&feature=player_detailpage#t=63[/youtube]

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like a Low rent Starcraft Terran Faction.

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i got email about week ago tell about new faction. "Human"

IMO seem like their design heavily base on Novus in UAW since they theme color base on white and Utopian feel. but look like they use alot of hover tank more than mecha.

more info about human faction

http://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/info/factions/humans/overview

even i like unit design theme of this faction but like UAW their texture look quite rough and lack of detail compare to my today standard.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally I hate how they make it look like toy again instead of high tech and robust.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's like "we do...a cool new game which cooks up all our ideas from UAW but we hope nobody notices"

Hydraw Art on Facebook

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well some neat stuff here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBFTdJSjIjc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

- I love the command bar. Both the sidebar with global structure etc building tabs and presumably the micro shit put there too.

- Tactically useful terrain.

- Cool underground resource pools & method of collection.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow the game look a lot better than i expect when i saw him in real action. only what i disappoint is they should make base building mechanic base on grid like SC2 and RA3 and human faction unit doesn't look so different from each other and not easy to memories their unique feature. game UI look great and resource collecting system look interesting. hopeful Alamo engine will not poison this game again.

TaShadan
Medic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks interesting. Not convinced by the base building mechanics yet though.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

like the command bar
like the idea of harvester non-management
like the idea of upgrading the base

but hate the idea of limited 4 "hubs"
which mean you never get full potential

even with additional chain hubs, it kinda feels clunky and less freedom
but I guess RTS can't get much evolution

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with the base building thing, it does seem a bit odd. Maybe if the buildings were just bigger it'd be cooler. The idea colonising the planet with small bases is neat it just needs to feel better I think. Having concrete or electrical connections like zerg creep might be neat.

user176534

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The harvesters in the video are pretty weird, and every unit in that race we saw walk on 2 legs.

Meh. It'd be cool to have a couple of walker units, but not the whole set!

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like and dislike it at the same time, but this is the only game Petroglyph that has appealed to me in a very, very long time.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i dislike the far too simplistic eco...
and base building mechanics like the halo RTS had.

looks very confined and one way to me.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At least i like this building mechanics more than what down of war 2 did but i hope the game will allow player to have more than 1 base similar to Halo wars.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question-
Would anyone care about this if it was not made by Petroglyph, son of Westwood?

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah because RTS are scarce so any RTS that looks halfway decent is being looked at i think?

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it away make me pay attention if it is RTS what ever it made by Petroglyph or not. [specialize old school like this]

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The video was interesting, it does show some new mechanics tossed in, like the automated harvesting and resource blobs. Guess just my overall 1st impression was the overly mechanical factions pasted upon the super organic setting, just seem off to me. I understand subconscious level was avoiding the "blue-people" avatar comparision. heavy techno humans vs primal native trope, but  either way its a new RTS.

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks cool on the side of the graphicks. The automatic miner replacement seems good, but also means that you won't have to think: "Oh I need money to make new miner, cause mine got destroyed", but instead you will have to think:"oh I need to build defending units to protect my miners from not getting destroyed".

My impression was that this game mechanics let you not to think about your economy that much. It let's you focus on micro manegment, tacticks.... in other words: it takes the burden of thinking about the miners all the time.

I kind of like it, and kind of not.

If your economy doesn't suffer from losing miners, then what is the point of harrasing the miners? You will need to destroy the refinery or what ever gives the resources to the miners. Or you will make blockades so the new miners don't reach the mining complex.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Ickus
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I realize the auto-mining is like yuri miners, you can plop some anti-infantry thing near them to mow em down, and seems pointless. Unless there is a cost to replace them, without the enemy realizing it since they're off elsewhere and EVA voice-over of unit lost message is easily fatigued when in battle. Thus a loss of the refinery hub, which seems is more effective but would prominent? Just also trying to make sense of it...,

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum