Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Pentagon Assault
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DerxwnaKapsyla
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:  Pentagon Assault
Subject description: An attempt at recreating, and in the end, making it my own, the map from GDI 02 from TibWars
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So after working on North Carolina Badlands, I decided to remake another map from Wars. I figured I'd do the next GDI mission, the Defense of the Pentagon in Washington DC. Of course, I used Terrain Expansion for making the map (Because I get some nice little juicy tiles in TX that vanilla YR just doesn't give me).
I got Wars's Worldbuilder working, so I have a reference image I can show off for the example:

I learned several things while attempting to recreate this map. First off, remaking a map from Wars with its nitty and gritty atmosphere is rather hard if you don't have the right tiles (in the end, I decided to make a more upbeat version of the map, but with the same design). I also learned that if I screw up down the line with starting height (like initially setting it to 0) and I need some cliffs to simulate height, I can just copy the entire map to a new map with a starting height of 4 (and after that, all objects and terrain objects) and it'll basically increase the height.
All in all, I enjoyed working on this map - it took me about 4 days to finish it (a little longer than it should have, E3 was going on in the background the entire time) but it came out really well in my opinion.
As always, feedback is very much appreciated. Any way I can improve, I want to know. I'm also wondering if I should release this map to the public, since my only other plans for it are to learn how to make a mission proper.

f5659de197[1].png
 Description:
Pentagon Assault Minimap
 Filesize:  24.61 KB
 Viewed:  2066 Time(s)

f5659de197[1].png

DVwl4ne[1].jpg
 Description:
Pentagon Assault - Overworld
 Filesize:  740.83 KB
 Viewed:  2066 Time(s)

DVwl4ne[1].jpg

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks way cool, Have you done triggers and whatnot too? or just the map?

DerxwnaKapsyla
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just the map itself. It was mostly for practice purposes, to try and get better at mapping for the game, but I did draft out a theoretical mission for this map. This map might be the best way to learn how to make a proper mission.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In FA2, under Map Tools menu, you can change height of the map. You don't have to copy paste for that on a new map.

DerxwnaKapsyla
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh, I guess I overlooked that. Wow I am blind, I'll remember that next time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon