Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm
All times are UTC + 0
The Soviet Campaign
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
commandcraft
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:  The Soviet Campaign
Subject description: Thoughts and tips
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, first time on here but I want to say that I love the mod so far. I've been having a blast with it. The addition of a Soviet Campaign definitely piqued my interest, and Ive gotten fairly far in it, albeit on easy mode. Here are my thoughts so far.
Mission 1: Overall, pretty good. Nice and atmospheric, almost reminiscent of some of the old Tib Sun Levels. Only real tip is keep your flamethrower troopers alive as long as possible. They are kinda your meat and butter here.
Mission 2: Again, not a bad mission. A minor challenge for CnC vets, but the enemy isn't overly aggressive and you shouldn't have much trouble so long as you keep an eye out for attacks and hit them as hard as you can. Keep the Tesla Tank, Mammoth Tanks, and V2 Launchers alive as long as possible because you cannot replace any of those losses. Having V2s build-able would have been nice.
Mission 3: Okay, I loved this mission. There is a large Nod base all across the map. You have to kill large Nod Base. Thats basically it. You get a large base to start with and again, if you keep an eye on your base and hit them hard like in the last mission, you have no worries.
Mission 4: This one was tricky. Partially because GDI doesn't commit as much to the defense as Id like. This actually almost reminds me of that Tib Dawn mission for GDI where you have to destroy enemy vehicles before Sarajevo. Keep your V2s back and have them fire on clustered enemy vehicles. Thats basically the only way to win as the enemy outnumbers you.
Mission 5: Ugh. This one hurt. It took about 12 tries and the final result was about 5-6 hours of work with a drastic KDR. Seriously, this is not a friendly mission. Tips are save often, build about 12 subs to defend your main base, expand early, be VERY aggressive with your subs and try to destroy the black base in the bottom left as early as reasonable. The ships that come in off map will probably do the most damage to you. Also your subs out range PT boats and that's their ONLY advantage apart from being slightly cheaper. Oh, and don't count on GDI. 3 Black Patrol Boats are all that it takes to kill them. If even that.
Mission 6: OH MY GOD WHY DOES THIS HURT SO MUCH? (Haven't got any real tips, still stuck here. Spamming thirty or so Mammoth Tanks hasn't stopped the enemy. I got to 45 minutes left and was hit by a pincer attack by massed infantry and vehicles and I have no idea how to stop it. Its seriously a tidal wave of units.)
Otherwise yeah, loving this so far, hope to have more updated tips later. Thats all for now guys, thanks for the mod. Signing off.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Soviet Campaign Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to hear that you've enjoyed the campaign Smile
commandcraft wrote:
Oh, and don't count on GDI.

GDI does usually cause significant damage to Nod over time. You do have to take care of them and keep them alive though.

commandcraft wrote:
Mission 6: OH MY GOD WHY DOES THIS HURT SO MUCH? (Haven't got any real tips, still stuck here. Spamming thirty or so Mammoth Tanks hasn't stopped the enemy. I got to 45 minutes left and was hit by a pincer attack by massed infantry and vehicles and I have no idea how to stop it. Its seriously a tidal wave of units.)

Tesla Coils are your primary defense against units. Build multiple MCVs to improve your production speed and then simply spam Tesla Coils and V2s (probably also build an extra refinery or two at some point to improve your economy). Tesla Coils take care of most units, while you should use the V2s to take out Nod's Artillery and SSMs, which out-range your Tesla Coils.

The infantry rush from the east is easily blocked with a few flame turrets and two V2s supporting them. I personally blocked the infantry rush from the west by micromanaging 5 V2s, but it can also be dealt with by expanding your base to the west entrance and building a few flame turrets there.

In case the mission is simply too hectic, you can also lower the game speed to make it easier (you have more time for doing actions). In some cases you might want to even change the game speed to slowest; you're going to find that the mission is a lot easier when playing on a slower game speed setting.

I'm aware that the last few missions of the campaign are pretty difficult; I personally enjoy challenges, so I also find it fun to make challenging missions Wink

Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mission 6 honestly seems like a non stop flood of enemy units. in the first few seconds I lose the entire front half of my base because the mammoths can't get there in time.

Then there is the air push that makes me lose once they show up. I am so focused on keeping the ground units at bay there isn't any time to set up viable air def for that spam.

I tried cordoning off sections of my base I am willing to lose and set up defenses but even when I slow down the gameplay the result is the same. A non stop flood of enemy units that I cant possibly prevent. Also the fact that a lot of the enemy units just ignore my defenses and breeze right on through the confusion is irritating. They just skip past and go right for my power plants then its game over.

I manage to get to the air push then fall into a non stop debt situation where they have already decimated my refineries.

But on the up side I like the intensity it brings. I just think it would be better if you got the first 3 min for free so that I could at least bring the starting units up so I wouldn't have to sacrifice so much in the begining.

Also is there a way to deter the first-ish wave so that I don't have to give up half of my territory from the get go?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The initial attack with stealth tanks and bikes? Quickly move your mammoths and V2s to intercept the stealth tanks, while building a flame turret to support the Tesla Coils in the south against the bikes (also utilize the two Heavy tanks near the Tesla Coils, as well as the walls).

Something I can say is that you can't really lose any section of your base early; if you do, the mission is pretty much certainly lost since Nod will keep attacking from all sides.

Seems that there's a lot of people who have trouble with mission 6. When I get a faster internet connection (in September) I'm gonna record a playthrough of the mission on Hard and upload it to YouTube #Tongue

Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try and see how well I can fare.

commandcraft
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to see other people responding. Still trying your tips. I build like two extra con yards and then my tesla coils got stomped because attack bikes are so cheap to produce, easy to spam and carry rocket launchers :/ I like a challenge too but a challenge is one thing. CnC3s Final Campaign for Nod on Hard mode is a challenge. This is, I'm still categorizing. I think part of what threw me off in mission 5 is the jump. Missions 1-4 have certain challenges but can be approached in a fairly easy going manner. 5 Jumps the difficulty level WAY up from even mission 4. Anyway, Ill see what I come up with to hold back this wall of units headed for my house.

DMAN
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the 6th mission isn't too hard, but tedious. I have had 4 CYs and built many base defences to be trumped by the artillery and ssmls. The other attacks are a cake walk, but the long range ones are the ones to worry about. My advice is to tortoise up and keep a convoy of v2s ready for the artillery and ssmls. All in all, I really enjoyed the campaign. Micro managing is just as vital as macro in this campaign. I hope to see more unique missions and campaigns for the other factions too Smile.

Edit: also on mission 6 you need to keep an eye on your harvesters and refineries. You will lose extremely fast if you have no money to repair your defences.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed the campaign. Smile I purposefully tried making a campaign in which you need to handle both micro and macromanagement, often both in the same mission.

commandcraft
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys. At the risk of becoming a thread necromancer, and apologies for doing so if the case be true, I've decided to finish what I started, since I just finished the campaign, and I really don't feel like doing this in a separate thread. Now before I begin, I would just like to say that I did all of this on easy because I'm a wimp, so if you play on harder difficulties, it might not work. So, without further ado.....
Mission 1: Same as when I first started this thread. One final tidbit though, do try to take out the gun turret with your infantry before they die. Otherwise you'll be taking it out with tanks or V2s, which will take longer.
Mission 2: Basically same as last time. I redact my complaint about not having V2s, as this mission is actually quite easy without them . Massed infantry will do the job just fine, especially when you mix in flamethrower infantry.
Mission 3: Nothing new to add here actually. See original post.
Mission 4: While I still think that GDI doesn't do a whole lot, I wont say this is detrimental. Just keep your V2s at the back and have them fire on any APCs, the purple vehicles, for game.
Mission 5: I see a lot of rebalancing here. Firstly the AI is a lot less brutal with its off map ships, or at least, they felt less brutal. Also the original Nod PT Boat looks like it was removed.  While Id feel bad if I was the direct cause of that(I'm sure I'm not) I will maintain that it was a really overpowered and broken unit. The new one, much less so. It can still outrange a tesla coil, but tha'ts not too much of a hassle. The new Laser Corvette gave me something new to anticipate as it meant that I had to learn of its weaknesses in the field. But overall it was also a fantastic unit. Again it can outrange any defenses but it was basically no match for wolf packs of subs. Its a very Nod feeling unit and fits in with their navy perfectly. On a final note, Project 941. this is an interesting unit but not very practical. You can only own one, and it does moderate damage on a moderate area of effect. You'd basically be backing it up with cheaper missile subs regardless and they don't move as slow as P941. Still a neat unit nonetheless.
Mission 6: This might as well be the penultimate mission of the campaign. I followed DMANs advice of having 4 conyards. Also having 4-5 War Factories to pump out tanks, and a lot of barracks. Interestingly, to beat this mission, I hardly used any base defenses. A small line of tesla coils and flame towers on the eastern perimeter was all I really used. For the left most perimeter, deploy an MCV and drop a barracks there to pump out flame infantry, since the enemy only uses infantry on that entrance. Drop a barracks on the right flank to pull in missile infantry to support the towers and you should be good there. The middle is where you get hit the hardest and that's why defenses don't do much good. You'll be constantly replacing them so much you might as well buy new tanks. Which you might as well focus on. A core force of mammoth thanks 12-15 in size supported by more than those numbers of heavy tanks and tesla tanks in one control group, and a force of 12-16 V2 rockets in a second will keep the enemy at bay long enough for GDI to abandon you. Um, spoilers.
Mission 7: I knew from the beginning with the force I was given that I'd lose all my units. Well, cant complain for being right. You start in the bottom right, you gotta get to the upper left. Move in a general straight line while following the mountain walls will get you where you need to go. I suggest scouting with a Mammoth Tank. They move slow but can self heal to half health. Try to keep the artillery alive as long as possible for the defenses. Keep all but your scout unit around the mobile HQ at all times. It'd be nice if it served some function like a stealth detector but I honestly didn't expect too much from it. Once you're within spotting distance of the base, use your remaining units as a distraction and make a beeline for the base.
Mission 8: If you got this far, this will be a breeze. Mostly because Shock Troops haven't lost their effectiveness since default RA1. They can keep your base safe or be used to attack AGTs, since advanced guard towers aren't that good against infantry and I don't think I saw them use any other defenses. If you have to deploy on the main island, don't worry about it, there's enough room for a small base and you can always build a second mcv. Attaining Naval dominance is a must. Both the enemy Conyards are close to the coastline. Take those out and you will have no troubles. Both bases are near the top of the island. They don't make it easy, but it is satisfying to watch them go up. Large forces of infantry and tanks can deal the the forward defenses, but I do recommend taking out the conyards with missile subs first. On a final note, I never understood why you guys made the MAD Tank a single build only vehicle until this mission. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. And that's it. Sorry again for the necromancy, if anyone has anything to add, questions comments, have at it. As long as you don't cheese off the mods like I most certainly have. Have a blast.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem with necromancy Smile Congratz on finishing the campaign.

Mission 5 has indeed been re-balanced, because the naval unit arsenals for all sides were completely re-designed about a year ago.

Back when you first played the campaign, DTA had a bug that when you loaded a saved game and completed the loaded mission, the difficulty was silently switched to Medium for the rest of the campaign, even if you had originally picked Easy (or Hard) difficulty. We noticed the bug a few months ago and then fixed it, which is most likely why missions 5 and 6 were much easier for you now. I somewhat recently also played through the campaign myself again, and made some improvements and adjustments to almost all missions.

Mission 8 on Hard is fun, btw. It took me 8 hours to beat, although I made it slightly easier afterwards (by reducing the amount of aircraft that attack you). But it should still be quite extreme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum