Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm
All times are UTC + 0
PPM is now stable again.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject:  PPM is now stable again.
Subject description: The main source of the error 503s has been tracked and fixed.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a long fight against the thousands of error 503s that were haunting this place, we are safe to say that we've found the main source of the problem and we can now follow a better tiberian vision envisioned by Kane, from now on.

In the latest weeks, we have moved two hostees to their own accounts (The Dawn of the Tiberium Age and Twisted Insurrection), optimized many scripts and hosted sites, forum software, tweaked many .htaccess files, robots.txt and even reformed the way Google crawls this place.

But the source of the problem was in the way that sites and scripts written by me tried to close the mysql connection, everytime they ran. The problem was... phpBB does create a persistent mysql connection. It doesn't close it. If you ask it to close it, it will try to close it and ignore the error message. The several attempts at once to close a persistent connection that can't be closed does lock the sites resources (in this case, the connection to mysql). In some cases, it could crash the php process that handles the site. In these cases, the evil error 503 appeared. Even if we used the latest phpBB that is under development, this problem would also happen.

Now, the site is much faster and it has not reported any error 503 since the solution was applied. Let's hope it continues like that for a long time.

By the way, for those who read the last news post, Twisted Insurrection has been fully moved to a new account and it is working correctly now. Everything works! Have fun and enjoy this place!

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for putting in the time and effort, it is well appreciated that it's back up and running again.

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent job, Comrade Banshee!

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still getting 503 errors...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Morpher
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome!

Oh...

503.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.25 KB
 Viewed:  3921 Time(s)

503.jpg

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've also got one 503 today, but the situation is much better than it was a week or two ago.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blargh. There are other source of problems.

At least it seems to be browsable at the moment.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it seams to only 503 maybe once every few hours instead of it taking hours to load a single page now #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As long as it more stable then past couple of weeks I'm happy Smile

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It runs like a Japanese train here.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Need more! Yuri Miner

Loading times are still a bit long and it occasionally throws a 503.

But this is waaaay better than it was.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It runs like a Japanese train here.

I don't know if this is good or not. It's probably good. If it was a brazilian train, I would consider it an offense #Tongue.

Quote:
Loading times are still a bit long and it occasionally throws a 503.

Yea, cPanel is also reporting constant Error 503s, although it is not as constant as before. I'm still trying out of couple of things to improve the situation. In the morning, I've tweaked a minor bit of code that could try to close mysql with a persistent connection. Now, I've disabled two very old versions of PPM's website that still made a massive usage of the database (and bots were still browsing it very often for reasons beyond my comprehension). Let's see if it improves in the next hours.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still getting 503's but at least the site is more usable than it was.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still 503-ing. #Tongue

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems way better  than it was last time. Loads quickly and not 503s just yet.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not getting errors 503 here, but cPanel has pointed out that errors 503s are still happening quite often.

zocom7
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, did you ever notice if there are some Chinese bots or users illegally going through this forum? Due to the discussion of the Zero Hour mod tool earlier which may or may not be related to the slowdowns of this website, I think it's time you need to investigate this and ban whoever hacked and slowed down this site.

As of now, the site may be partially stable, but it's still not as fast going through this site.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're paranoiac.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zocom, the chinese bots who floods this place are not registered members and, they may not necessarily have a fixed IP, nor an ID that identifies it as a bot. Sometimes, when you ban an IP of a bot, you might be banning a potential user that could be in the same ISP than this bot.

So, I'm not the kind of person who likes to use my energy on these things.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
You're paranoiac.

Ignore zocom7. He's retarded.

Steam

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!