Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 am
All times are UTC + 0
A few things
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject:  
Subject description: nothing negative, just a few questions
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Im new here, I've been playing this mod for a few days now and its fantastic! I have a few questions and opinions:

1. Why did you have the Soviets ally with GDI? surely, if this is set just after the events of RA then the soviets would be against the newly formed GDI? (which was borne from the UN and the Allies). It just seems rather odd that the Allies would all of a sudden ally themselves with the enemy they were facing not long ago from a newly emerging terrorist threat...it would make sense that the Soviets would be allied to NOD since it was shown Kane taking over them in the RA soviet ending....

2. Is there any information such as a unit/building list? There seems to be a great many units I am not familiar with, and it would be nice to see a little info about them, I also noticed a few unique ones pop out of crates and whatnot.

3. Not a critism but playing this I've found the missions extremely difficult. I cannot even work out how to do Eradicating the Red (as soon as ive destroyed the airfields, my reinforcements get absolutely swamped by about 100 mammoth tanks, and no matter what I do theres just too many of them!) and Soviet mission 4: interception. (Oh my god! HOW MANY stealth tanks?!) which leads me onto another point:

5. the bazooka/stealth tank/tow missiles are way, WAY too powerful. A group of bazookas can demolish a mammoth in seconds, I've played the original C&C and RA recently and they are nowhere near as powerful as this mod! and with NOD primarily using them, the stealth tanks have become way overpowered.

6. Same with Mobile Artillery on heavy armour, in the original they hardly dented them but here a group of artillery kills medium tanks in a few shots. Not sure why these weapons in particular are so powerful, is it to boost NODs attack?

thanks for the mod though, its brilliant otherwise!

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the forums. Nice to hear that you like the mod Smile

virtue wrote:
1. Why did you have the Soviets ally with GDI? surely, if this is set just after the events of RA then the soviets would be against the newly formed GDI? (which was borne from the UN and the Allies). It just seems rather odd that the Allies would all of a sudden ally themselves with the enemy they were facing not long ago from a newly emerging terrorist threat...it would make sense that the Soviets would be allied to NOD since it was shown Kane taking over them in the RA soviet ending....

Soviet figured that they couldn't stand a chance against Nod when fighting alone. However, don't take the plot of the Soviet campaign (which continues from Allies' victory in RA btw), nor the plot of the GDI Campaign (The Toxic Diversion) that seriously; all of my campaigns are pure fanfiction. DTA has no "official story" behind it.

virtue wrote:
2. Is there any information such as a unit/building list? There seems to be a great many units I am not familiar with, and it would be nice to see a little info about them, I also noticed a few unique ones pop out of crates and whatnot.

Sorry, we don't have one right now. We've been thinking about making such a list, but we haven't had the time for it yet.

virtue wrote:
3. Not a critism but playing this I've found the missions extremely difficult. I cannot even work out how to do Eradicating the Red (as soon as ive destroyed the airfields, my reinforcements get absolutely swamped by about 100 mammoth tanks, and no matter what I do theres just too many of them!) and Soviet mission 4: interception. (Oh my god! HOW MANY stealth tanks?!) which leads me onto another point:

Heh, you're not alone, a lot of people (including staff members) have been saying the same. I'm the creator of the campaigns, and I enjoy challenging missions. Mission 4 is still one of the easier missions; mission 6 and everything after it are hell. If you find the Soviet Campaign too hard, you might find the GDI Campaign and the single missions "Red Paradise" and "Desperate Grip" more enjoyable; they're a lot easier.

Eradicating the Red is also one extreme mission, and surviving the Mammoth rush is the hardest part. You need to create a bottleneck for them on the eastern cliffs and kill them there with careful usage and skilled micromanaging of light tanks, microwave tanks, artillery and the special SSM launcher.

virtue wrote:
5. the bazooka/stealth tank/tow missiles are way, WAY too powerful. A group of bazookas can demolish a mammoth in seconds, I've played the original C&C and RA recently and they are nowhere near as powerful as this mod! and with NOD primarily using them, the stealth tanks have become way overpowered.

I don't actually think the Stealth tank is more powerful at all than in TD, but the Rocket Infantry is more powerful. That is because DTA's maps are much larger than TD's, which means that infantry are far less useful than in TD unless they are significantly more powerful than they used to be. RA was also a very tank-rush centric game, something that we're trying to fix with DTA; our rocket rocket infantry are so strong that it's not trivial to just crush them with tanks. In fact, we think that DTA 1.12's balance is still pretty bad in this aspect (most online games end in early tank rushes), so in DTA 1.13 rocket infantry will be even more powerful against tanks than currently to make the tank rush "tactic" less viable. To compensate, DTA's anti-infantry units (Humm-vee, Nod Buggy, Allied Ranger, Soviet V2) are much more powerful than in TD and RA. Overally, this results in more tactical and more rock-paper-scissors like multiplayer than the tank-rush based multiplayer of Red Alert.

virtue wrote:
6. Same with Mobile Artillery on heavy armour, in the original they hardly dented them but here a group of artillery kills medium tanks in a few shots. Not sure why these weapons in particular are so powerful, is it to boost NODs attack?

Same reason as with the rocket infantry, it's to make the Mobile Artillery useful. In both TD (AFAIK) and RA it was a fairly rarely used unit in online games, and we've made it more useful. The Artillery still cannot take on Light / Medium tanks without protection, so I think the unit is balanced.

Thank you for the feedback, we can't get too much of it.

virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the reply Smile

Yeah I'm currently going through the GDI campaign and enjoying it, its challenging, but fun and the scripted events are great. One question though, I never managed to save the village in mission 2, does anything special happen if you do? In terms of story, I like it! bringing in the chemical weapons hinted at with the original chem trooper.

Im glad Im not alone with the Eradicating the red mission! I was totally surprised, I expected the mission to continue in the stealth/sabotage manner lol.

Hmm, you have a fair point about the tank rush aspect. I suppose its always been the way with C&C (the way its setup) and hard to try and turn it into a more tactical game, I can see you're going to great lengths to try and make it less of a brutal tank rush game. I guess it gets a little frustrating being so used to the artillery and rocket troops being weaker lol, its almost relearning how to play the game in a way.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

virtue wrote:
One question though, I never managed to save the village in mission 2, does anything special happen if you do?

Not in mission 2, but it affects mission 3. I won't mention more to not spoil things to you though, in case you haven't played mission 3 yet Wink

Btw, a tip if you find the game overwhelming at times; try lowering the game speed (ESC -> Game Controls -> Game Speed). When the game goes slower, you have more time for micromanaging your units and performing other actions; lowering the game speed even a bit makes a surprisingly big difference in how challenging the missions are. Both Eradticating the Red and the Soviet Campaign are actually so difficult that even I am unable to beat them on Hard without dropping the game speed at times.

We've also planned on making easier missions in the future, but we currently lack active mappers. It's still possible that DTA will get more easier campaigns / missions in the future however.

virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just redid the mission (it was considerably easier than going after the gdi base), i was on mission 3 anyway, so restarting it wasnt no biggie. I like the little addition Smile

Yeah, I've come to realise that Smile And no worries, none of the missions ive played have been sloppy or unprofessional. A lot of them remind me of a mix of the Aftermath/covert ops missions mixed with original TD missions, so if that was what you were going for, well done Smile

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When creating the Toxic Diversion I actually aimed for a similar feel as in the RA Aftermath missions, so it's good to know that I succeeded Smile

virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did Eradicating the Red!! I built my nod base where the GDI base was and bottlenecked them so they couldnt even touch me. And finished them off with the reinforcements and nukes. It slowed my game to a crawl though...and why do they get infinite reiniforcements?!

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Creative solution.

Quote:
...and why do they get infinite reiniforcements?!

To make your life harder #Tongue At first they get no reinforcements (after the initial mammoth rush), but as time goes on Soviet will start receiving more and more reinforcements until they get a lot of them. It's supposed to make camping harder.

virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well it did sort of lol, there were about 300 soviet tanks and it made the game crawl to a standstill XD silly AI Smile It was a tough mission though,  I was pretty lucky with the microwave tanks tbh, if they hadnt of suvived then they wouldve got through the bottleneck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum