Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am
All times are UTC + 0
I can make an installer for TSR
Moderators: SMIFFGIG
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [64 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject:  I can make an installer for TSR Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been developing software for a while now, and have gained experiance. I develop installers for all of my software in a wizard style, like most modern software.

Also, I can make a TSR auto updater, which downloads the latest version number from the internet, compares it to the installed version, and if th version detected is newer, downloads a file list and downloads each and every file.

Shall I do it SMF?

(BTW: The instaler would ship in an empty state - and would run the auto updater to get TSR.)

I will make a GUI TSR activator/deactivator, which would allow people to switch back and forth at any time with ease, if you wish so

Do you wantit then SMF?

SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can make an installer too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Fremen5
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can't you just do this with MS-DOS prompt? Neutral

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a lot nicer in a GUI interface Wink

And no you can't - Not easily

PS: What do you use to make installers?

SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Installer VISE.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fully code mine in NSIS

Plus: Did you actualy BUY IV?
Or is it a shareware license? Mind vision ended the shareware proggram a while back!

+ I will be making the auto-updater Wink

SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Owen wrote:

Or is it a shareware license? Mind vision ended the shareware proggram a while back!

Yes, but there isn't any else restrictions than a small window that needs to be clicked on before the installer actually starts.

TSR Version 1.2 used it.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seaman wrote:
TSR Version 1.2 used it.

Correction: TSR Version 1.2 Beta used it.

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But NSIS makes smaller installers Very Happy

Gee, were starting a debate here arn't we Confused

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SeaMan wrote:

Ah, but can you do it without putting your own f***ed up versions of the INI's in istead of SMIFF's?

SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FinalMoon wrote:
SeaMan wrote:

Ah, but can you do it without putting your own f***ed up versions of the INI's in istead of SMIFF's?

Sigh... do I need to explain this again?
Firestrm.ini was never meant to be there as a loose file. It was left from that buggered up TSR beta. Everything else was up to date.

No need to flame. Take a cool shower or something.

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And you don't offer update abilities Very Happy

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well there is the one problem of where the updater would look for an update, especially since TumSun has done it's best to become a yo-yo lately. :p Wink

edit: we could use a change in some of the smilies here.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Installers for TS mods are a pain in the ass.

Installers with no content are bad, if the site goes down you can't downlaod the mod or if the site dies so does the mod (compaired to other websites being able to host it).

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stucuk agrees with me apparently. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Fremen5
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

besides, even a total idiot could put the files in the TS directory...

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you could be surprised. Rolling Eyes

And many more people have trouble uninstalling mods.

fxsx24
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

krav is right uninstalling is a pain in the ass takes longer in win explorer

better if in SE2KMM format just activate/deactivate or install/uninstall

oh click team pacth maker erases all files which are not in the pach (save exe mpr everything) or atleast when i tried it

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about it gets shipped with the latest version then, and the updater can check from there?

Also, Smifgig has NO way of converting so SE2K format.... It would wreck TSR

Last edited by Owen on Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The installer is 22mb (WIthout updater at present) and the Zip is 26mb....

4Mb Smaller.... Woot Very Happy

Download

This might be a little problematic for a while... I'm still uploading Wink

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
better if in SE2KMM format just activate/deactivate or install/uninstall

no it would have been better if ppl beta tested my mod manager for TS, it doesn't require any stupid formats that limit the mod to one mod manager, it can uninstall mods that it never installed, it can uninstall mods it installed, its childsplay to use, etc, etc, etc. (also has a log for the "i don't trust programs" type of ppl, all actions are recorded)

The only type of installer for a TS/RA2 mod is one that can detect other installed mods (by checking if any known mod files are in the directory) and remove or back them up. If you have a mod installed, and use a regular installer, it will overwrite files and most likly screw the mod (2 mods in one dir = :S)

Tho i have yet to learn of an installer like that....

P.s an auto updator wouldn't b used, due to the fact mods take longer to make and release than programs, it works with them cos programmers can release new stuff in say 1-2 months where a mod is normaly re-released in say 5-6 months. (long periods of nothing being released, so the point of an auto updator?)

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uploaded, feel free to test it. There are 2 bugs, and I know of them

• If your Tiberian Sun directory is NOT called Sun, then the mod won't load.
    Workarround: Copy files from the folder in your TSR dir (EG: If TS is in C:\Westwood\TSun, then copy files from the TSun dir in your TSR dir) into the Sun dir[b]
  • Since all files are copied, there is a potential for other mods to cause damage. People, what files are used by mods so I can delete them from the TSR directory

I will eradicate the Sun directory next time for you Twisted Evil
It will go into the TSR dir.

So, comments?

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i havent read through this properly yet

but just a few words
SeaMan you know exactly why i didnt use your installer, it added a ton to the size of the mod and most of the options where broken (like uninstallation and custom install etc)
Thats besides the point
SeaMan I dont want any input from you for TSR in the slightest, you neednt offer help nor suggest it as I will not accept it.
Lets just say youve helped enough as it is Neutral Rolling Eyes

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now I understand why 1.21 was in a zip

The compression that the NSIS installer I made is better than zip - sometimes up to 50%, and the Uninstall function is working

Quote:

but just a few words
SeaMan you know exactly why i didnt use your installer, it added a ton to the size of the mod and most of the options where broken (like uninstallation and custom install etc)
Thats besides the point
SeaMan I dont want any input from you for TSR in the slightest, you neednt offer help nor suggest it as I will not accept it.
Lets just say youve helped enough as it is

Mmmm.... Goodbye.... In a bad and good way I suppose......

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Owen wrote:
Uploaded, feel free to test it. There are 2 bugs, and I know of them

• If your Tiberian Sun directory is NOT called Sun, then the mod won't load.
    Workarround: Copy files from the folder in your TSR dir (EG: If TS is in C:\Westwood\TSun, then copy files from the TSun dir in your TSR dir) into the Sun dir[b]
  • Since all files are copied, there is a potential for other mods to cause damage. People, what files are used by mods so I can delete them from the TSR directory

I will eradicate the Sun directory next time for you Twisted Evil
It will go into the TSR dir.

So, comments?

- You should make an option to allow people change directory if they want to. An installer that forces people to save the files into only one dir is crap. In this case, I really prefer .zip... specially because I dont have any Westwood dir in any of my 4 HD partitions... Sincerily, I prefer using Delphi to make a customized TS style instalation... at least expect one for PPM:FD in one year..

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No - You didn't get it

It lets you choose the dir.... I can't be bothered to explain

The bug is fixed in the latest version anyway Smile

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When dealing with the public is isn;t great to say "i can't b bothered to explain" that to me just makes me think "why bother downloading your fancy installer if you can't even b bothered to explain a part of it".

hellfire
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry stu for not testing ur manager yet, been busy. I will try this week, as I have it all off(Nearly, got one small exam tuesday mornin) I'll post what I get out of it tommorow(Just gott a find another mod that has huge substance to it... wonders off to see if TSTW beta is still up.)

All hail me

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
You should make an option to allow people change directory if they want to. An installer that forces people to save the files into only one dir is crap.

Even if this doesn't apply to Owen's Installer.

Well said! Exclamation Smile

I ran into that problem before and it really ticked me off. It wanted to put into C:\Program Files\, which wouldn't be a problem for most people, however my C partition had insufficient free space, so I wanted to install it to a different partition, but it wouldn't let me, so I had to install it on my Mom's PC. Err! #Mad

SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
but just a few words
Thats besides the point
Lets just say youve helped enough as it is

Sigh... Didn't you read my PM?Confused

The reason why it is bigger is that is supplies a patch for Game.exe which is an option for custom install.
The uninstall and custom install were broken, but they are now fixed.
You should notified me about it first before you uploaded the mod to TumSun. Neutral

And ignoring me could be a bad mistake. Just look at the mod.
If I didn't work with you, it would more propable that the mod would still have stuff like Cyborg Flamers, Suicide Terror Drones, Cabal Obelisks and Defender. And that just the beginning of the list.
I admit I have done mistakes in the past (as you might have too) and I regret them deeply. Sad

Owen wrote:
And you don't offer update abilities

The installer can be programmed to download from mirrors and patch files( it is an option ).

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And ignoring me could be a bad mistake. Just look at the mod.

hahahahahaa
the amount of crap ideas and work u sent me that i rejected depcits the majority of the work you did for TSR
all that is left is extracted sounds and some measley graphics
you really are obsurd lol Laughing

anyway lets get back on topic, and seaman take a hike

SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:

hahahahahaa
the amount of crap ideas and work u sent me that i rejected depcits the majority of the work you did for TSR
all that is left is extracted sounds and some measley graphics
you really are obsurd lol Laughing

Only an idiot would say what you said. You have became drunk of power. It's sad. Sad

Last edited by SeaMan on Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well i'd say smiff keep it easy... i really don't think Seaman did the faults on purpose..that would be idiotic as well..

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SeaMan wrote:

The installer can be programmed to download from mirrors and patch files( it is an option ).

So can mine.... And mine is smaller Wink

I'm actualy thinking of some things.... Smiffgig! Come on MSN! Tongue

SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The DvD wrote:
Well i'd say smiff keep it easy... i really don't think Seaman did the faults on purpose..that would be idiotic as well..

You're right... did you see me saying "I'm going to release a buggy TSR that will destroy the mod and Smiffgig and then I can take over the world!" anywhere?
It's Pinky and the Brain.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SeaMan wrote:
The DvD wrote:

You're right... did you see me saying "I'm going to release a buggy TSR that will destroy the mod and Smiffgig and then I can take over the world!" anywhere?
It's Pinky and the Brain.

Hahaha, haven't seen Pinky and the Brain in TV for years or so.. used to run in our mtv3... Laughing

not correct topic but excuse me, I managed get the AI fixed in my mod to be aggressive and it owned me Embarassed
and I would suggest fix the nagging slowish build speed and especially slow unit movement it bores too much..making it ra2 speed is good. Smile

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ever heard of "Game Spead"

It's useful!

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I haven't heard of "Game Spead". Have you heard of "Spelling Class"?

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, we don't have "Spelling Class" in England....
We have "English"

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TSR Installer 1.21.2

(Please note that the final 2 on the end DOES NOT indicate the content of the installer.... Only the revision of the installer itself.)

The installer downloads the 1.21 zip from the internet, so keep that net connection while installing Wink

tsr install.zip
 Description:
TSR 1.21.2 Installer

Download
 Filename:  tsr install.zip
 Filesize:  121.58 KB
 Downloaded:  603 Time(s)

hellfire
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

U know I'm gonna have to say, that Stu should release his mod manager right now, and then we all use that instead of using installers. (I used the manager today, and not one error though I didn't really have many mods to try with. It did work very well.)

All hail me

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

btw the mod manager isn't compleate (needs a backup mod option on the mod files found window).

on a side note the best installer would b a Self extracting exe that is a mini mod manager(funnily enough i planed to make one) one that could detect TS automaticaly, detect mod files, clean them back them up, etc, etc, etc. Normal installers are shit for mods when its a game like TS.

P.S thx for the nice comments Smile

hellfire
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I hope you finish it up soon, and get it out there, so no one has to work with these evil installers.

All hail me

Sk8erkid
INSANE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright. . .
I understand that there are some grudges between SeaMan and SMIFFGIG that i will not go into detail about here. Yet i am i getting pretty tired of this whole pointing fingers and complaining about that situation here on out forums. I'd like to ask everyone to please leave these type of 'flame wars', that this is yet again starting to turn into, to MSN, e-mail, or other communities with seperate 'Flame' forums. I am not going to edit any posts in this topic now, but if these battle continue in PPM i may have to take less 'user friendly' approaches to this problem and just start deleting any flames or wars that start. I personally am getting sick of this and do not want to have to do anything tp severe to get my point across. I am not asking anyone to be friends for my benefits, but just to 'get along' when on these forums.

I hope this is not too much to ask? And I thank those of you who have always cooperated and those will now relax a little or at least hold their anger in while here.

Thanks again,
Sk8erkid - PPM Admin

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Owen wrote:
No, we don't have "Spelling Class" in England....
We have "English"

yeh, thats obvious... Rolling Eyes

blah, game speed.. it also makes other things too fast if at 5 and 4 is slow.. shortest answer isn't always the best.

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does that 128 KB installer have the WHOLE mod in it??

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"The installer downloads the 1.21 zip from the internet, so keep that net connection while installing "

im still wondering the point of an installer that has no contence........

SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FinalMoon wrote:
Does that 128 KB installer have the WHOLE mod in it??

It downloads from server.
And I see what this installer is based on. It's Windows Installer.

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stucuk wrote:
"The installer downloads the 1.21 zip from the internet, so keep that net connection while installing "

im still wondering the point of an installer that has no contence........

Maybe I don't have 22mb disk space to waste?

SeaMan wrote:
It downloads from server.
And I see what this installer is based on. It's Windows Installer.

WRONG!

It's fully Win32PE (Windows 23Bit Portable Exectutable)

Fully independant of thw Windows Installer System.

Just because it's in Wizard style doesn't mean it's Windows Installer Mad

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool a 23bit prog Razz

now stop quabbling you two (if that's actually a word)

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon