Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am
All times are UTC + 0
Access violation at address 00405AFA
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:  Access violation at address 00405AFA
Subject description: 3.38 Beta 14 (3.37.99.014)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The crash happens every time when closing. It aborts closing, so only Task Manager can end the tool.

Error stemming from FormMain.pas line 1574:
Code:
for count := 0 to (MaxOpenFiles - 1) do
   BlockWriteString(F,OpenFilesList[count]);

If MaxOpenFiles is 0, which it is in my case, this is decremented to become non-zero. This will make the initial check pass because MaxOpenFiles is an unsigned word and decrementing 0 makes it the largest value. Thus, the loop will run, and there is no data. This causes 0 to be dereferenced.

The stickied topic says I shouldn't post suggestions here, but I suggest this Wink:
Code:
for count := 1 to MaxOpenFiles do
   BlockWriteString(F,OpenFilesList[count - 1]);

Similar potential issues in lines 1260, 1367, 1389, 1411, 1433, 1460, and 1487. Haven't checked other files.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if MaxOpenFiles = 0, this for does not execute at all.

It will not make the initial check pass. It would do if instead of:

Code:
for count := 0 to (MaxOpenFiles - 1) do

I had:

Code:
for count := 0 downto (MaxOpenFiles - 1) do

I do not underestimate your Access Violation here, but I'm just not sure if this is really the reason behind it.... unless Delphi processes (MaxOpenFiles - 1) as a longword and in this case -1 becomes a very high number.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
if MaxOpenFiles = 0, this for does not execute at all.

It only appears like that. But it does.

count is a word, MaxOpenFiles is a word. 0x0 - 0x1 = 0xffff. This is compared to the initial value (:= 0) to see whether the loop should execute. It cannot be below, because no unsigned value can be less than 0. If it's higher, the loop executes, and if it's equal to 0, it will also execute, even if only once (which is once more than there is data available). It will always execute.

Assembler ahead! This is the real compiled code:
Code:
movzx esi, word ptr [ebx+MaxOpenFiles] // copy to esi and make the word a longword
dec esi                                // subract one. esi is now (MaxOpenFiles - 1)
test si, si                            // test the *word* part of esi. this is like doing "test MaxOpenFiles-1"
                                       // if MaxOpenFiles was 0, si will be 0xffff now...
jb Done                                // jumps if si (the lower word of esi) is *below 0*, which
                                       // is impossible. so, no jump.
.... process items here or crash ....
Done:

Technical stuff time!
JB jumps if the tested or compared values are less than 0. This is checked using a flag in the processor called CF. If CF=1 then it jumps, if CF=0, then it doesn't. The TEST instruction by design always sets CF=0. Always. This conditional jump is guaranteed to *never* jump. That's how the x86 works.

Banshee wrote:
I do not underestimate your Access Violation here, but I'm just not sure if this is really the reason behind it.... unless Delphi processes (MaxOpenFiles - 1) as a longword and in this case -1 becomes a very high number.

I have limited knowledge of the language and the source code, but I think you do Wink. This error has been there since the first revision available in SVN, and a forum search shows many incarnations with different addresses for different compiled version, but I suspect it's always the same one. It always crashes for me when closing, but altering it like I described made it go away. I'm fairly certain this is the cause.

Code:
for count := 0 downto (MaxOpenFiles - 1) do

I don't know Pascal, but this should not execute for anything other than MaxOpenFiles = 1.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Delphi is working again, so this bug has been fixed in the latest revision.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you! Smile

edit: I can confirm that this is fixed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum