Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 am
All times are UTC + 0
How to set up tunnels?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:  How to set up tunnels? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been looking at the mapping tutorials and none appear to explain the basics of setting up the tunnels, they mention the tunnel enterences (ofcourse) and setting up a tunnel path but don't explain where you find the path or how you link the tunnels.

Is there something I'm missing?

I'm using final sun 1.01

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The program in the topic linked appears to be a .swf file which I cannot open, strange?

That said I figured out what was wrong, the FS was in beginner mode and thus hiding the tunnels tab. Shouldn't be too hard now I've found the problem, thanks!

Edit: Figures it wasn't as simple as it sounds, according to the final sun help I should select "New Tunnel -> add tunnel", however I see "Tunnels -> Create tunnel", when I click and drag as per its instructions nothing happens.

Last edited by Rico on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can download the swf and use IrfanView (free image viewer) to open/use the swf (provided you have the flash.dll plugin for IrfanView)

Public SHPs

Tools

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok downloading irfanview and its plugins, will let you know how it goes. That said what about final sun, is there a reason why the help is wrong when its in the zip I downloaded?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can open flash files (.swf) with most internet browsers. Unfortunately this excludes Firefox, since it gives you a download window instead.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
You can open flash files (.swf) with most internet browsers. Unfortunately this excludes Firefox, since it gives you a download window instead.

Not true, Firefox too can open .swf files.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea why it gives me a download window when I directly open a .swf file on my hard drive with Firefox then. It never bothered me though, since I always just use the portable version of Adobe Flash Player for this purpose anyhow.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the swf thing looks interesting but complicated compared to what final sun says it should be doing. Is there a tutorial for setting tunnels up in final sun, the help file seems to be wrong.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rico wrote:
the swf thing looks interesting but complicated compared to what final sun says it should be doing. Is there a tutorial for setting tunnels up in final sun, the help file seems to be wrong.

When you draw tunnels in FinalSun, it does create tunnels, but there's no visual indicators for them. However, the tunnels created by FinalSun are flawed; infantry cannot enter them, and to fix them you have to manually edit the map with a text editor afterwards. So doing tunnels correctly with FinalSun (especially curvy tunnels) probably takes more effort than making them with the tunnel drawer tool.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Creating tunnels with curves in FinalSun is entirely impossible. FS is not able to create them correct, which forces you to create them by hand by editing the map anyway.
Since FS even creates straight tunnels wrong (the backwards tunnel is always missing a move direction number), it is better to use the tunnel drawer in the first place.

Public SHPs

Tools

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just need to do basic straight tunnels, good to know though. Thanks for the clarification guys, it makes the other topics make more sense. As for the swf, it just shows the red and orange arrows, the interface doesnt show. I dont understand how you load your map and set up the coordinates from a flash video/program.

EDIT: Reading other posts found that FS101 doesn't show the lines which is what was confusing me, even though it actually did put them down, using 0.98 I've been able to set them up without issues. I might do a tutorial about this in a few days, simple info that could save others some time in future.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find it odd, I remember one where tunnel lines were drawn...
FA2(YR) does draw them, and in the resource data of FS it's visible, too.
Bitmaps 233-242

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

0.98 is the one that shows them, which is why I was able to get it working. I wonder why 1.01 broke/changed that?

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FS 0.98 is more prone to errors. It doesn't even run on Win7 after first run, I had to hex edit it for path
to make it run. Shared here - http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/download.php?id=54557

Irfanview on Win7 doesn't show text/grid etc. for Q45's tool. Installing Flash Player would install plugin
for browsers if it doesn't show already. Then use browser to use Q45's tool.

Draw the tunnel entrance graphics in finalsun. FinalSun shows coordinates in reverse. Use it in Q45
tunnel drawing tool to generate [Tubes] entries. Then copy those [Tubes] entries into the map with
a text editor. If the tunnel does not work properly, you can delete the related entries in [Tubes] section
in map using text editor and plot them again.

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the heads up about FS 0.98's stability issues, currently on Vista 32bit (very temp till I was able to get a 2nd copy of 7 64bit which arrived today), so that link will be very useful. Much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon