Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm
All times are UTC + 0
YR Argentina officially Dead
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:  YR Argentina officially Dead Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So it's been announced that YR Argentina, the largest & longest running C&C resource site is now officially dead!

I'm in shock that it was allowed to happen, I'm not even sure how it happened. I'd be grateful if someone could explain the course of events that led to this outcome?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I explained it on Facebook... the site was terminated because of the vulnerabilities. Joomla was too much of a security threat to run on the server.

Face it, the biggest hack to the server in the last 5 years happened through YRArg. Compared to that, the spambot mode and whatnot were just minor shrugs.

Since even old got plugged into Joomla without standalone access, I guess it seemed too much of a hassle to try to salvage pre-Joomla version.

It's sad to see it go, but honestly, I am not that surprised. It became an unsustainable bloatware in the recent years, not even complying with Revora's own standards.

And Martinoz never really opted for cooperance to begin with - instead of axing Joomla after the first hack and use something different, he opted to go away from Revora. I don't think this is Revora's fault at all.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's sad to hear, although not surprising. C&C is dieing a slow death, with Generals 2 canceled and no new game announced it's not going to get any better. Mods like TI, DTA etc are keeping the community going.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is something I really disagree with tho. While OpenRA has it's own quirks comparable to Westwood and the project aims are debatable, it already can use all the file formats pre-SAGE C&Cs could, and it's sharply evolving to a point to be an alternative engine option for a RA2 modder.

I wouldn't be that surprised if say, within 3 years OpenRA would indeed catch up engine terms. And then resource sites from the previous era - and PPM can indeed play a role here - end up to be a goldmine for the next generaton of modders coming from OpenRA.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
MK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

And Martinoz never really opted for cooperance to begin with - instead of axing Joomla after the first hack and use something different, he opted to go away from Revora. I don't think this is Revora's fault at all.

How would I cooperate when site got axed without notice and if I didn't have a backup (thus nothing at all) I wouldn't even reinstall website on that private server?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the site got axed without a notice after a ca. whole year passed since the first hack without any major change to begin with. You had your chance.

Not to mention that the Joomla version also didn't complied the Revora community hosting policy at all since it was adfree and lacked the network bar. PPM does not run on community hosting before you would defend yourself with that.

I know that these happened during the time 3rdAge started BFME Online and the network began focusing towards multiplayer server support, however I don't see why you blame them for not cleaning up your mess - especially because I'm fairly certain Banshee and co. did the fixing after the first hack as well, with you only providing the files.

=======================

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And the result is, there are no files at all anymore. Seriously I doubt.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of the first CNC sites I went to, 10 years ago.

wow.

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

R.I.P

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The whole point with YR Argentina is that we can't maintain it with all its security problems from Joomla. The site was compromising the security of the whole server and Joomla is hard to maintain/fix/edit. It was hacked inumerous times and we were warning MK about that, until a moment we've suspended the account and MK has build a backup that is no longer online.

I do have a copy of the old YR Argentina, but I'll have to clean it up from the last time that a hack of the Joomla's version compromised the old YR Argentina as well. I also don't trust the file uploader that the old YR Argentina used, but Joomla was much more unsafe than that.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wouldn't it be better just to build a new site from scratch (easier said than done)? The old site is purely a relic, now most of those assets are very crappy and impractical to use. What is really needed is a place where all assets, modern and old are available and a site that is constantly updated. PPM has lots of great assets but it's very hard to search through effectively, especially if you don't know what you're looking for. The new YRArg was at least good for that. It's also a bridge between different communities as anyone can submit there.

So maybe there's another system that could be used, that isn't so insecure, so a new site wouldn't have to be built from scratch?

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to agree with omega. No offense, but do we need YrArg at this date? What we do need are public assets for upstart modders. Those public assets at least offered people the building blocks to experiment with their mod themes and ideas. Losing those is a tragedy. YrArg itself isn't that sad.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I won't work on a new site for YR Argentina. I'll just restore the old one. If I had any interest on creating a new site for YR Argentina, I'd use the same content system that CnC Guild uses and adapt it to YR Argentina's needs. Another option would be transfering the YR Argentina assets to CnC Guild and adding a thumbnail system to its item lists.

What I plan eventually is to make a # system for PPM to make searching easier and smarter in the forum.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At this point I'm more inclined to rollback YRArg to pre-Martinoz era than to invest time and efforts into a new system from the ground-up. Latter one needs more manpower and anything's better than the "this domain has been suspended" cPanel message.

Kudos to having a backup Bansh, I'm glad it didn't got Lost Forever. Even tho you did confirmed all my suspicions about the site...

Also, if you're there, clean up the testing wip subdomains as well, yrargdev.cncguild.net throws an 500 Error while argtest.cncguild.net gives you a default Joomla installation... I don't think either accounts is needed at all anymore.

=======================

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Wouldn't it be better just to build a new site from scratch (easier said than done)? The old site is purely a relic, now most of those assets are very crappy and impractical to use. What is really needed is a place where all assets, modern and old are available and a site that is constantly updated. PPM has lots of great assets but it's very hard to search through effectively, especially if you don't know what you're looking for. The new YRArg was at least good for that. It's also a bridge between different communities as anyone can submit there.

So maybe there's another system that could be used, that isn't so insecure, so a new site wouldn't have to be built from scratch?

I've done the old website in over 1 month for 650 files, imagine doing it for almost one thousand.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, ladies and gentlemen:

http://yrarg.cncguild.net

It is online and the account was unsuspended. However, it is running the old YR Argentina without pafiledb. It's better than nothing.

I guess we can say that YR Argentina lives in death....

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay my hideous old layout returns, I just found my backup of it too including Arg's original version!

IIRC the original plan was to use the CnC Guild's system for YRarg, but who ever was working on it (I forget) lost interest & then Martinoz came along with Joomla. How hard would it be to finish just the modifications to CnC Guild system? If the basic foundation of the site was in place I'm sure that several members of the community (myself included) would be willing to help with organising & uploading the files.

What about using something other then joomla? There are several other content management systems available. However they are more likely susceptible to hackers then the guild's custom system.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Yay my hideous old layout returns,
You're old layout looks alot like PPM's main site. (which nobody ever visits) #Tongue

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a heads up, guys:

http://www.yrargentina.com

is working again Smile.

(yea, it redirects to the old site... and that should do it until someone else reforms it, if it ever happens)

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AWESOME!

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just wanted to say that I was successfully able to download something from the yrarg.cncguild.net backup on archive.org. It would be nice if some of the assets could be brought back since there was some good stuff there that the old site doesn't have.

Anderwin
General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder how much assets have been lose in the years :/ Then I mean all the sites and so on.. Neutral

badbully
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't someone just make an alternative of Yuri argentina on the free hosting servers

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

badbully wrote:
Can't someone just make an alternative of Yuri argentina on the free hosting servers

You shouldn't talk about something you do not understand.

The old YR Argentina is online. And we can add the assets that were added in the new one there, as long as some non-lazy person does it.

The problem with the newest layout of YR Argentina isn't the matter of getting a host. The problem is that its software is full of exploits. It will always be hacked, regardless if it is hosted in a free hosting service or on Revora (which is also free for YR Argentina).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please give me a link for downloading dig shp animation. Thank' in advance to someone help me

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are many assets which were in the new version and I haven't able to get back...

the old one is REALLY old, most resources there are obsolete for current graphical standards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!