Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
RA2: Frontlines
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 4 of 6 [295 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's bloodraging you call your "work" "hard labour" .

INI isn't hard. It has it's own tricks but it's definitely not that hard as coding for Ares, making art and whatnot.

If artwork would be easier than coding, then the ratio between INI modder:artist would be better and not always in demand of artists with more modders aboard who only do INI.

Besides, if a new random artist would pop up, I would immediately mention 3-4 projects he'd be more worthy to join than yours - since you just can't stop begging and saying GIMME GIMME GIMME Y U NO GIMME, IM STILL HERE, while their leaders have actually put something on the table (Project Phantom, Red Resurrection, Colony Wars, Robot Storm... yea, 4, and neither is mine).

You also apparently love having the last word - even if you're wrong, oh wait, you can't be wrong, since "my opinions never have flawed logic", no matter if reality says otherwise - that I dare betting money you're a narcissist retard.

Point is: that will get you nowhere. I assume you don't even care how annoying you are with your begging.

Also, still no screenshots. I see no mod, but wall-of-text. Wall-of-text is nothing. I could also write such walls, but no point of doing that.

If it only takes one artist to do everything for you, then be it yourself. If you want to be a lazy bum instead, then at least do us a favour and shut up. We know you're an attention whore already, no need to stress that further.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tbh, there are forums on 3d art, and that might be a more promising place to go to for these things
Maybe someone can be found there who would do a few buildings just because they enjoy the process itself.

Other than that, I think this request has about the same outlook as a company asking its workers to work for free just for the fun of it.

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
that I dare betting money you're a narcissist retard.

I must admit that I would have no problem with your post if it wasn't for the way you've worded the idea above. While I do understand that you are pissed off with his behavior for a while, you do not have the right to flame him like that in this forum.

Also, using this kind of expression against him isn't effective on making him change his attitude either.

What he has to realise people who visit this place mod as a hobby. Modding is not anyone's primary activity. People will use part of their time into projects that attract them and where they see a future on it. Nobody will take their time into a random thing just because a random person that they've never seen in their lives needs help with a project that has no real progress and its leader doesn't seem to make enough effort to make it become as attractive as other public mods here.

Wall of text is not recognizable progress for most people here, regardless of the importance of the design of the mod. Do you want to call people's attention to your project? Post videos. Images are interesting only if you have something attractive. But videos shows with much more precision the effort that was placed in the mod so far.

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Point is: that will get you nowhere. I assume you don't even care how annoying you are with your begging.
ain't no begging here.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Also, still no screenshots.
look at the original post.

Graion Dilach wrote:
You also apparently love having the last word - even if you're wrong,

We know you're an attention whore already, no need to stress that further.
Yes mr hypocrite.  I'm not the one rambling negatively on at someone else's mod's thread.  I've also told you, you're under no obligation to even acknowledge my existence.

Millennium wrote:
tbh, there are forums on 3d art, and that might be a more promising place to go to for these things
Maybe someone can be found there who would do a few buildings just because they enjoy the process itself.
you're right, i probably should consider poking there.

Millennium wrote:
Other than that, I think this request has about the same outlook as a company asking its workers to work for free just for the fun of it.
ur talking about the wrong thread, but yeah i can see how you might see it that way.  But all mod work is hobby projects, because you can't get full license rights, at least until you develop it as a stand-alone game.

Banshee wrote:
What he has to realise people who visit this place mod as a hobby. Modding is not anyone's primary activity. People will use part of their time into projects that attract them and where they see a future on it. Nobody will take their time into a random thing just because a random person that they've never seen in their lives needs help with a project that has no real progress and its leader doesn't seem to make enough effort to make it become as attractive as other public mods here.
hence why it was a shot in the dark request i made, i wasn't sure how open the community was towards working in and out of places.  i only sought someone who either had some free time and felt like helping or shared my desire to make a proper japanese faction.  the kind of person who isn't necessarily super concerned with future prospects.  play is not work.

Banshee wrote:
Wall of text is not recognizable progress for most people here, regardless of the importance of the design of the mod. Do you want to call people's attention to your project? Post videos. Images are interesting only if you have something attractive. But videos shows with much more precision the effort that was placed in the mod so far.
again, screens are on the original post, as well as details.  it's there for organization and prevent the tedium of thread digging.
Videos are a problem, i'm on windows 8 and using ddraw, which can't be combined with video without having half the screen be a strobe light, or else having really terrible performance without ddraw.  I have no idea what framerate the game is actually running at when running slow, so i don't know what to record at or what to convert framerate to.

More screenshots will come in the future, as well as better explanations, and at some point a moddb page. (i've also had people offer to tag-team alpha testing eachothers' mods as well)  I'm not in a hurry, and as i've said, currently taking a break because there's a lot of other things i'm wanting to do atm.  I'm merely keeping an eye pealed incase someone shows up or has something to say.

I apologize for my clearly abnormal activity on this forum causing any ruckus... My intention was only to get a feel for the place and then as i started desiring to work on things, i'm just showing who i am and what i'm about.  I'm a very open person.  I have not been, and have no intention of conflicting with anyone here.  I'm sorry if i seem a bit noisy compared to the usual activity on this forum, i've definitely noticed there isn't a whole lot of other people updating or posting all that regularly, but this does not automatically mean "attention whoring." Some people just have a lot to say.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What everyone is saying is shutup and get to work... basically.

You already have too many ideas and wishlists to implement, do those first, don't worry about every conceivable detail, hell you don't even need fancy weapons yet.

Modding like every artform is the practice of adding and removing, finding the perfect balance of simplicity and nuance vs features and glamour. The perfect art is the one that has the exact minimum to elicit the right reaction, flaws and all.

My mod doesn't even have a story, I couldn't care less if Romanov traveled to Thailand to molest boys, or whether Yuri can really bend spoons, story doesn't affect game play.

Stop thinking some big long dramatic story suddenly makes your recycled units into a mod.

Do some WORK. Try your WORK. Then adjust your WORK.

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, i have been, not procrastinating here.  I just check up every once in a while.  Reading and responding takes 2 minutes of my day.

I've already done several entire days of making and testing on things.  I've spent no less than a few hours on any addition or change made, no matter how minor.  It just doesn't look all that special at the moment, but a lot as changed.  As banshee said it'd prob need videos to show exactly what the changes actually mean to gameplay, but that's a pain to do right now.

I haven't been worrying about story, that's millennium's thing.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol
The majority of conversations here were about
a) design/art of a faction
b) support with coding
b) feasibility of getting someone to make building shp's
not story.

and no, I've not posted a great deal about story yet either
just your average amount of bg lore
my thread has lots of screenshots (check it out, everybody!)
/hijack

Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nihonjin-sama, your thread indeed has lots of screenshots but but...Aren't they just some public voxels? Happy to see my Battlemaster there though. Never thought someone would use this.
Certainly this method is enough to attract eyeballs and discussions, but perhaps not enough to attract possible partners...
Maybe our dear Genesis needs to do something more creative to catch their interests. For example: a project with a whole set of excellent original voxels can have more possibly to win partners than a mod consisting of only inis and public assets.
Indeed a great story can also do this, but perhaps few in this community is interested in having realistically sci-fi-ed IJA beating the sh*t outta the Allies and the Soviets...

Btw, Battlemaster is not T-55. It's a silly Westwood creation.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GenesisAria wrote:
I apologize for my clearly abnormal activity on this forum causing any ruckus... My intention was only to get a feel for the place and then as i started desiring to work on things, i'm just showing who i am and what i'm about.  I'm a very open person.  I have not been, and have no intention of conflicting with anyone here.  I'm sorry if i seem a bit noisy compared to the usual activity on this forum, i've definitely noticed there isn't a whole lot of other people updating or posting all that regularly, but this does not automatically mean "attention whoring.

Posting wall of texts into every topic will come out as aggressive. It gives the reader a feeling that you can't stand when you're wrong, you want to dominate the topic, etc. This will alienate you, since this gives you the feeling you don't listen.  Even Millennium is better than this because after an explanation about quality control, he grasped why the whole argument was happening in the first place.

GenesisAria wrote:
Some people just have a lot to say.

Yes, Renegade is legendary due to having that trait. Look up his posts, and look up how the community reacts to it - or wait, I tell you, many people cannot take it serious, because he's too much into details most people don't care about.

OTOH he is a veteran and quite had an era when he was among the better known modders, iow he has a reputation he can use as a defense. You don't even have such. Oh and Renegade usually knows what he's talking about, defending his views with facts.

GenesisAria wrote:
ain't no begging here.

Repeating the same request (get me japanese buildings) 4 times a day is a form of begging in my vocabulary but enlighten me how you would define it. Dressing it in an excuse and serving it in a wall of text certainly not gonna help due to the above I told.

The fact you directly spit it out numerous times you don't even intend to pick up doing art because you "got no time for that" won't gonna help at all in achieving that aim, since it encourages to see you as a leech. If the mod leader lacks dedication, why should an artist working for that mod have it?

GenesisAria wrote:
I'm not the one rambling negatively on at someone else's mod's thread.  I've also told you, you're under no obligation to even acknowledge my existence.

I think I can allow myself to state that in these times I'm among the most helpful members, simply due to answering almost all the questions I see. I also didn't started aggressively but repeating myself every time can be tedious, really, and I easily jump to cowboy mode when I can explain it pretty well.

Also, you can call me hypocrite, but when you talked stupid I didn't just went in to laugh but also explained it why stupid what you're saying - like here.

Also, if you go and reread the posts, people are telling you the same what I do, just in a milder way. Don't you think if so many veterans are agreeing with him, the jerkass does have a point?

To put it bluntly, I'm still nicer than what you deserve at this point, because I still try to point out why you're doing it wrong, but you still refuse to listen. I do feel that if you wouldn't be full of yourself and trying to enforce your views upon everyone, and you would dedicate yourself to learn - artwork, experimenting etc, you could be a good modder. I do see you're enough bright for that, but the lack of respect towards what veterans say just because some outsiders encourages you that will gonna render you as a lost cause. It's not the community's fault if after you respond everything the community says with an excuse they start mocking you. And at this point I do consider Millennium as a semi-outsider.

GenesisArea wrote:
Graion Dilach wrote:
Also, still no screenshots.
look at the original post. [...] it's there for organization and prevent the tedium of thread digging.

This actually forces thread digging. Why do you think people should go back rereading the first post, say, every second week when we're already at the 4th page? Most people read the new posts alone. If I read the first three page of a thread already I don't see any reason to reread the very first unless I'm specifically told to. (Others usually either bump with a first post updated with this/that or mirror the first post's update in the new post completely because... guess what, this).

The cameos are terribly noisy btw, learn how to PCX. No offense. I know cameo.pal is crappy, but you aren't limited to that and even GIMP can open PSDs okay enough to create a decent cameo. I could start another discussion about quality norms again but I'll handwave it as being a new mod.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trans_C wrote:
Nihonjin-sama, your thread indeed has lots of screenshots but but...Aren't they just some public voxels? Happy to see my Battlemaster there though. Never thought someone would use this.

And using randomly collected vxls only gets a mixed up mess theme.
Our battlemaster put together with some randomly collected "t80" (I'm sure this is again your throwing name crap, it doesn't even look like t80)"t62", can only show you just collected them and used, not caring about quality, style, etc. Quite proves absence of quality control.

Using YRarg vxls won't attract building artists anyway, because everyone can make up a dumdum mod with them. People get interested to see some gifs showing new behaviors, not 8 direction shoots of YRarg vxls. You are not making yourself outstanding. What you should do is to prove you have some *REAL* talent and you have done something to show in the shoots, other than showing using YRarg stuff, which everyone can.

And. No modder is interested in the long texts you posted. You don't need to introduce your units' features, they are just not interesting. Players may be interested reading that dull story, but modders not.

Last edited by kenosis on Fri May 08, 2015 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trans_C wrote:
Certainly this method is enough to attract eyeballs and discussions, but perhaps not enough to attract possible partners...

Yes Smile Just setting straight that I do not deserve the honor of being THE story writer of the forum like Aria makes me. I'm sure there is much better writers (Lefthand, for example).

kenosis wrote:

Our battlemaster put together with some randomly collected "t80" (I'm sure this is again your throwing name crap, it doesn't even look like t80)"t62", can only show you just collected them and used, not caring about quality, style, etc. Quite proves absence of quality control.

Oh... well the T-80 was "sold" as a T-80 per voxel name... >.< the turret does look very T-80-ish (with ERA applied), I think the barrel does need replacement though (it looks like a needle, not like a gun) and I was curiously just about to do that.

Quote:

Using YRarg vxls won't attract building artists anyway, because everyone can make up a dumdum mod with them. You are not making yourself outstanding.

Well, I'm not the one looking for building artists. That thread/request is from GenesisAria, so the quality of my mod doesn't really matter for that. I did post a half-serious attempt at getting team members, like 2 months ago, but it was never for artists or anything in particular, just generally people who might be bored or out of own ideas.

Quote:

People get interested to see some gifs showing new behaviors, not 8 direction shoots of YRarg vxls.

Yes... I'm definitely intending to update to videos sooner or later, when I've done the basic introductions for the units.

Quote:

And. No modder is interested in the long texts you posted. You don't need to introduce your units' features, they are just not interesting.

Not to you! I find them very interesting! And all the important mods do that, like MO or TI... so I thought it's the right way to go. What else should I post? It's just different approaches I think. Your ModDB has videos of interesting features, with no explanation. That is your style and it's interesting. But most mods include text descriptions of units.

Quote:

Players may be interested reading that dull story, but modders not.

Please tell me... what do modders want to read?

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium wrote:

Not to you! I find them very interesting! And all the important mods do that, like MO or TI...

Moddb is a place mostly for demonstrating your mod to PLAYERS.
And here most are MODDERS.

Is that so difficult to tell? You can post whatever wall you get there in moddb but here nobody would even give a bit skim. We don't need your unit introductions. However you write your introductions, with them under your 8 direction shots most will only see a HTNK with another vxl that you just downloaded (and a dull story). Leave them to your players(if there really is any) and delete your walls of text.

And for the t80 part. I dont care if it is like that when you downloaded it. The point is CORRESPONDING STYLE. Or name it Quality Control. Whatever.

What modders would get interested is what can be  considered YOUR WORK and is of course not 8 directions of YRArg vxls. They wont bring you members but drive possible ones away.

Last edited by kenosis on Fri May 08, 2015 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, interesting... thank you.

Okay... I think I must stop hijacking Genesis' thread now. Sorry, everyone!

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GenesisAria wrote:
I've already done several entire days of making and testing on things.  I've spent no less than a few hours on any addition or change made, no matter how minor.  It just doesn't look all that special at the moment, but a lot as changed.  As banshee said it'd prob need videos to show exactly what the changes actually mean to gameplay, but that's a pain to do right now.

You've just reminded me 2 Egyptians...

Also, don't always rely on other people while you might only work "a little"

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zlixine was only one person - if the second would be Be7AMod, then sorry to break your heart... that was always zlixine's alt.

=======================

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trans_C wrote:

kenosis wrote:
saywhat? battlemaster?  the rhino placement is most certainly a t-80, maybe not a fantastic one but a t-80 nonetheless.  it mostly fits the stock game's colour schemes, better than a particularly gritty one or one with different camo (it's supposed to be somewhat parallel to the abrams).  iono what ur looking at.  but yes they are public voxels i'm not concerned by that; i like putting things together more than making things from scratch, better at it too.

Trans_C wrote:
For example: a project with a whole set of excellent original voxels can have more possibly to win partners than a mod consisting of only inis and public assets.
the issue is that i -lack- the visual assets, showing them off would be showing i don't lack them?

Trans_C wrote:
but perhaps few in this community is interested in having realistically sci-fi-ed IJA beating the sh*t outta the Allies and the Soviets...
well my intention was not for japan to be stacked haha.  the other 2 factions have received hefty buffs, and will get more in the future probably.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Posting wall of texts into every topic will come out as aggressive. It gives the reader a feeling that you can't stand when you're wrong, you want to dominate the topic, etc.
what's aggressive is harsh responses to things.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Repeating the same request (get me japanese buildings) 4 times a day is a form of begging in my vocabulary but enlighten me how you would define it.
i'm only responding in kind to what people are saying.  They say it's unclear, so i try to clarify.  They make suggestions, so i add to that.  They criticize, i explain maybe they misunderstood.

Graion Dilach wrote:
The fact you directly spit it out numerous times you don't even intend to pick up doing art because you "got no time for that" won't gonna help at all in achieving that aim, since it encourages to see you as a leech. If the mod leader lacks dedication, why should an artist working for that mod have it?
saywhat? i never said i got no time for that.  i said i'd rathe sromeo nemore efficient at it do it if they're willing than spend more time trying to do it myself.  just as i'd rather someone else ask me if i was more efficient to do something rather than them spending an unnecessary amount of time to learn a very large field of design just for a few additions to a hobby project.

Graion Dilach wrote:
I think I can allow myself to state that in these times I'm among the most helpful members, simply due to answering almost all the questions I see. I also didn't started aggressively but repeating myself every time can be tedious, really, and I easily jump to cowboy mode when I can explain it pretty well.
alright.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Also, you can call me hypocrite, but when you talked stupid I didn't just went in to laugh but also explained it why stupid what you're saying - like here.
I stated that because i hadn't seen enemies on a base attack mission change targets unless they were fires upon by something. And i watched tanks immediately change direction and go for an only 20 threat value unit as soon as it entered the rad field and started taking damage.  Even if the rad field wasn't generating the aggro, something was behaving parallel to that.  Maybe not for passive unit ai, but at least for active AI players.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Also, if you go and reread the posts, people are telling you the same what I do, just in a milder way. Don't you think if so many veterans are agreeing with him, the jerkass does have a point?
they still seem to tend to be based on a foundation of misunderstanding.

Graion Dilach wrote:
I do feel that if you wouldn't be full of yourself and trying to enforce your views upon everyone
i haven't been enforcing views on anyone, not sure where that's coming from...

Graion Dilach wrote:
but the lack of respect towards what veterans say just because some outsiders encourages you that will gonna render you as a lost cause. It's not the community's fault if after you respond everything the community says with an excuse they start mocking you. And at this point I do consider Millennium as a semi-outsider.
i'm not sure what you mean by respect, or what you expect... I treat people as people, regardless of their backgrounds.  i don't really get what you mean by "outsider" unless you mean outside of your friends or accepted rivals...

Graion Dilach wrote:
This actually forces thread digging. Why do you think people should go back rereading the first post, say, every second week when we're already at the 4th page? Most people read the new posts alone. If I read the first three page of a thread already I don't see any reason to reread the very first unless I'm specifically told to. (Others usually either bump with a first post updated with this/that or mirror the first post's update in the new post completely because... guess what, this).
i guess for people who frequent the forum.  i have been babbling my updates in new threads, but it's usually just bits and pieces "i added this to this" i didn't go and take a zillion screenshots, i just pasted it into the faction overview pic.  I obviously have streamlining to do and so on, but i'm not exactly making major updates, it's just tweak this add a little that.  When i actually get to it and start doing unit screenshots and such i'll post those in new posts.

Graion Dilach wrote:
The cameos are terribly noisy btw, learn how to PCX. No offense. I know cameo.pal is crappy, but you aren't limited to that and even GIMP can open PSDs okay enough to create a decent cameo. I could start another discussion about quality norms again but I'll handwave it as being a new mod.
each cameo can have it's own pallete with pcx?  i was originally using standard cameos for before i went to ares, so i just kept up with the same thing.  I don't really care about the colour quality of cameos at this point, ur not exactly staring at them for long period of time (i hope), i have all the original textless for most of them, i can remake them easily.

kenosis wrote:
People get interested to see some gifs showing new behaviors, not 8 direction shoots of YRarg vxls. You are not making yourself outstanding. What you should do is to prove you have some *REAL* talent and you have done something to show in the shoots, other than showing using YRarg stuff, which everyone can.

kenosis wrote:
What modders would get interested is what can be  considered YOUR WORK and is of course not 8 directions of YRArg vxls.
well, see, i haven't really done a whole lot yet... i pretty much laid the foundation at this point, that's all.  And imo, it shouldn't really matter where the images came from if your intention isn't to sell your visual work.  The things i'm actually trying to accomplish with this mod are more in strategy design, feel, and sound, than in visual.  And those are very difficult to demonstrate without having a downloadable demo.

kenosis wrote:
And. No modder is interested in the long texts you posted. You don't need to introduce your units' features, they are just not interesting.
i'm not exactly trying to advertise at this point.  I'm responding to people who speak.  And as i said, video capturing is an issue.

Millennium wrote:
Yes Smile Just setting straight that I do not deserve the honor of being THE story writer of the forum like Aria makes me. I'm sure there is much better writers (Lefthand, for example).
What's with everybody blowing things out of proportion? I just said you were into that more than i was. (i'm a beast story writer, but just not for this.)

Millennium wrote:
I think the barrel does need replacement though (it looks like a needle, not like a gun) and I was curiously just about to do that.
i thought it was okay, although it doesn't fit the proportions of other tanks, i might have done something about it in the future, but mind if i grab yours when you fix it up?

Millennium wrote:
Yes... I'm definitely intending to update to videos sooner or later, when I've done the basic introductions for the units.
yeah i'n only introducing basic outline right now.  The whole point in this thread was just to dump what i was working on. It is the "private mods" thread...

deathreaperz wrote:
GenesisAria wrote:
You've just reminded me 2 Egyptians...
Also, don't always rely on other people while you might only work "a little"
egyptians?  also, what? i practically just started, i'm not asking to rely on someone to do 100% of the visual work O.o
i was simply saying that i haven't been doing nothing or being a lazy ass (tho i haven't been doing a whole crapton either, yet), i -have- been doing things and making progress. just on break right now.

I don't even care if the final product still has public vxl's and shp's as long as it all fits together nicely.  i don't see why just because it's "public" that it's somehow inferior...

Anyways, it's not like i try to babble on, i just end up doing so, because there's a lot of presumptions and things like that bouncing around that i'm trying to clear up.  (ugh, just look at that monstrous quote blob lol)

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi there i really think you are right We all know that she is new here so please don't be so Bold if you need any help in Art works or visuals im here

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See? You're not listening again. You handwave every criticizing as a misunderstanding. All the time. All the godfucking time.

And here we go again, others aren't right if they conflict with you, they must be misunderstanding you. They must be wrong if they criticize you, mustn't they?

Couldn't it be that you're wrong? Couldn't it happen that you shut up and acknowledge the critique and not pushing it further, or would that be too low for you?

You're enforcing your opinion all the time, dude. With delivering excuses, denying straightly pointed out issues, etc etc.

Seriously, I give up. You're either just delusional (best possibility) or either a blatant egoist either a blatant retard. Either way, you're a lost cause. End of story.

=======================

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not wrong, your arguments are completely valid in themselves, but you're jumping the gun on what i'm doing or how i am.  It's not fair that you assume i'm calling you wrong, as if i think i'm smarter than you or something.  You're only wrong because you're using the 'right' response for the wrong problem.

(this site can be slow sometimes lol, i wonder if i even pressed submit or not lol)

Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty sure your time spent on this thread is more than enough for you to learn some basic 3dsmax skills and make your first original building.
Just can't understand why you choose to reply over and over again.
Yeah some people love the process of creating something from scratch while other people enjoy putting existing things together...I personally respect your attitude but don't you think this attitude won't make any assets popping out in the air?
You should really find a partner...A partner that shares your love of traditional WWII Japan, finds your stories interesting, and can actually create something as you wish.
But I wonder whether you can find such a person in this community.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See, there are people in deviantart even who do 3d graphics for about 8$ per... picture? A faction doesn't need a lot of buildings... maybe 10? And they only have to render one angle, the backside can be totally untextured and hollow. Maybe this would be something for you to look into?

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trans_C wrote:
I'm pretty sure your time spent on this thread is more than enough for you to learn some basic 3dsmax skills and make your first original building.
time-wise, probably.  but dedicating to design work, it gets in my head and bothers me every waking spare moment... i'm always thinking about it even if i wanna focus on something else.  hence why keeping my hands completely dry for the time being.

Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GenesisAria wrote:
time-wise, probably.  but dedicating to design work, it gets in my head and bothers me every waking spare moment... i'm always thinking about it even if i wanna focus on something else.  hence why keeping my hands completely dry for the time being.

What else can I say...
Good luck.

afriendlysmile.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 KB
 Viewed:  9788 Time(s)

afriendlysmile.jpg

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GenesisAria wrote:

Then making a private, decidated, or public mod isn't for you. Nobody wants people who don't put out effot to make the mod interesting, and it is a known fact.

So, all I can say is good luck on your mod.

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why are you assuming i'm not putting effort into it?  Do you now know what taking a break means?  There are other things i more want to or need to do with my time for another few weeks, when that's done and time is freed up again, it'll be back to business.  I pretty much described dedication in that sentence, and the fact that i have other things to focus on in the meantime.

I'm doing what i want to do, and you should too.  That is all.

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems i just need to wait this mod until the seniors were accepting this mods...

GL and HF Very Happy

kindasmile.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.87 KB
 Viewed:  9715 Time(s)

kindasmile.gif

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might I suggest everyone just abandon ship (this thread) and let it wither away peacefully?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GenesisAria, Windows 8 does not have anything that really stops you from making videos for your mod. You juts haven't found the appropriate software to do that. Take your time and do some research on that. If you have any doubts, feel free to use our own forums to ask for help on that.

And believe me when I say that the people from this place will only believe that you are doing some progress with your mod when they see it in action in a video. This is how people without graphical skills like us can prove that we are actually doing something. Walls of text tires people, specially when you overuse it.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

look as a muslim i beleave totally in my religion so i can be wrong as well as being right so don't think what you say i don't conflict with anyone otherwise ...

you know im just waisting my words you know anyway there are newbies who don't know "no one was born with knowledge"

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will go back to 1st post and ask author, for who are you doing this mod ?

everyone or yourself ?
and trust me, decide carefully

otherwise this bashing will go forever here

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Algerian Major wrote:
look as a muslim i beleave totally in my religion so i can be wrong as well as being right so don't think what you say i don't conflict with anyone otherwise ...

you know im just waisting my words you know anyway there are newbies who don't know "no one was born with knowledge"

Alhamdulillah, you've just remind me something important as a muslim Smile

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
GenesisAria, Windows 8 does not have anything that really stops you from making videos for your mod. You juts haven't found the appropriate software to do that.
I have recording software.. The problem is the game's performance.  Unless you have windows 8 you don't know.  Even on max game speed, when you don't have the ddraw.dll and settings in your game folder the game performs terribly.  It's stuttery and runs very slow. (again i don't know what framerate it runs at (i think game speed 5 is normally supposed to be 30fps but i don't know).  It runs at maybe 10-18 fps even on speed 6.
With ddraw.dll in, every couple frames does this when recording video or taking screenshots:

options are: very slow, or strobe-light.  (very slow can be framerate converted if i -know- what speed it's running at, but RadeonPro isn't gonna show me an fpscounter because it's not d3d)
I tried a multitude of performance fixes, this was the only one that worked, and it runs fantastically smooth and problem-free when not trying to record or take screenies.  (there's also the issue of the fact that my monitor is a 72hz display, even if the game runs 30, that many frames won't be displayed evenly... unless someone knows how to make the game render manual framerates, then i'd flip it to 36/24fps.)
So yes, windows 8 does have things which make video recording very much not easy.
And in case someone says it: i'm not downgrading. Getting win10 when it's out.
Unless someone has a workaround for this...

G-E wrote:
Might I suggest everyone just abandon ship (this thread) and let it wither away peacefully?
No.  I want to make this mod.  And i will make it with or without anyone's help.  Although you guys don't have to respond to it, i won't stop updating the main post.

Exley wrote:
I will go back to 1st post and ask author, for who are you doing this mod ?
everyone or yourself ?
and trust me, decide carefully
Currently it's for myself.  If i manage to start making a Japan faction (which is highly likely now), then i'll be shifting gears towards making it for everyone.  If i don't, then this'll remain private.

Algerian Major wrote:
"no one was born with knowledge"
I highly beg to differ on that quote. But this isn't the place to get to get into things like psychology or reincarnation, or even natural talents many people are born with. Smile

Anyways, i wish to draw all this confrontation to a close.  It's all pointless, you're wasting your energy criticizing, and my thread is getting filled with noise; I only welcome constructive criticism.  If all that's talked about here is content-related then it won't be so spammy. Thank you.

(the intention was to let the thread sit quiet for a while after i made my statement of taking a small break for a few weeks anyhow.)

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GenesisAria wrote:
unless someone knows how to make the game render manual framerates, then i'd flip it to 36/24fps.)
So yes, windows 8 does have things which make video recording very much not easy.

just use win7 or xp

win8/10 suck ballz

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No it doesn't suck.  aside from the various small annoyances (most are fixable), and the fact that new OS's always have troubles being compatable with older software, it's better all around.  and win10 will fix a lot of techncial things that win8 fell behind on.
Windows xp is disgusting now.  It was fantastic in the old days, but not anymore...  It's only useful if you're dual booting, or have a second computer, and using it for old software.  Not worth the effort to go back to win7.
don't give me that "just use" for one game.  changing OS's is a massive pain in the ass, even with partitions.
there are countless things that win8 improved on in performance and functionality, it just wasn't aimed for desktop as much as portable, win10 will fix issues there.
And win10 is gonna be free for everybody.

So yeah, anyways, if anyone knows how to get around the problem with video, i'll have to deal with having to stick to screenshots, unfortunately.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually it will be free upgrade for 1 year Smile ,, not forever
use AlexB hack

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think i tried it and it didn't work or said i had the wrong version or something like that... i'll give it another shot though when i get back to working on this (cuz i had to change some stuff to get ares to work).

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley wrote:
actually it will be free upgrade for 1 year Smile ,, not forever
use AlexB hack

Its a free upgrade for anybody who owns XP+ OS's from what I read for the first year so yeah... unless you're really adamant on staying on 7 I guess you wouldn't be switching to 8.1/10 anyway once it's out.

Also have you tried running the game in windowed mode and using recording software like hypercam or something?

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always wonder if the small-font text contains important information... it's so hard to read on this screen.

Win10 will be free?

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@atomic

why would you play it in windowed mode at all ? *_*

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a 1920x1080 monitor the game is uncontrollable in fullscreen as the game still puts an invisible border and you can't reach the sidebar at all. I had to force-close the client usually just to close the game.

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always run in windowed mode. (for everything, i hate fullscreen applications... fullscreen windowed is ideal, which is what ddraw gives)
I can't remember where i got my fix, it's the ddraw.dll one... the CNCGraphicsPatch is AlexB's thing (which i have to try again).
With the ddraw one i had to give my screen's resolution minus the borders, (otherwise game crashed when my mouse went to bottom of screen) they are masked black by ddraw.

It doesn't matter what recording program is used, as even windows screenshots cause the bottom half to glitch.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dunno
i have 1600x900 and all is fine Very Happy
even TS works good there

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The way you point it out makes it like you're so smug about it tbh Exley. You mentioned you're using Windows 7. At this point Windows Vista would even be a much better choice for playing the older CnC's.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not smug
just happy it still works on my res
altho the wide screen "splatting" sometime annoys me

Quote:
You mentioned you're using Windows 7. At this point Windows Vista would even be a much better choice for playing the older CnC's.

in core they're pretty much the same

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1080p here.  as said, runs like a charm when not trying to snapshot it... i'm definitely grateful for those who worked out the solutions~
Technically win98 is the ideal for all of the 2d cnc's, but there's no chance in hell i'm doing that XD

to be frank, my TS actually runs better than my RA2, like it doesn't have any fidgety window problems, also i can minimize it (can't minimize ra2, gotta rely on second screen heh.)

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tried in virtual machine ?
vmware 5.5 (workstation, not player) should do, it supports 9x and NT 5

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But seriously

Declutter your mod - go for quality over quantity.

One example is to revamp all your cameos so they follow one standard and for crying out loud use pcx cameos if you insist on blue skies or want to use proper reds or purples.

A classic mistake (myself included) is to add too much to your mod, without it having an actual useful function which you will use in multiple games.

As an wild example - take the comet fence in mental omega - it's no longer gonna be buildable cos no one ever uses it.

Also most crucial factor is patience - we all started someone and many of us have been modding for years.

All of us have invested crazy amounts of time and resources into our project.

None of us are born as modellers, artists or programmers, we all started the same way but we develop ourselves.

Maybe this is a lost trait due to the instant demand society we live in but modding isn't about instant results.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, i see where you're coming from on the instant demand thing... Though i'm not really there, i would definitely prefer sooner if the option is there (cuz there's no point in waiting if you don't have to).  I'm basically saying that this mod isn't an extremely high priority project.  I have other hobbies i wish to entertain, and other things to do in my day.  That doesn't mean i plan to half-ass it either though.  It just means i don't really desire to spend countless hours getting good at an entirely new field of practice on top of everything just to whip up a few things for a mod.  I'm willing to make sacrifices for not doing that, but again, it would be ideal if someone could fill the hole who's already good at it and doesn't have to spend hours learning it, because they learned it for their own other reasons.
Modelling is a big thing to get into doing for the first time, and i've been avoiding it for a long time (i never have any good enough reasons to spend the time).  Even getting good are high quality photoshopping work is a lot to dedicate to, hence why i stick with gimp and doing more simple, quality but simple, projects only for personal use. (i actually learned how to be good at image editing with programs that weren't paint by decensoring pics when i was like 12 lol)

All of the requests and stuff have only been suggestion, asking.  (please note: a request =/= demand)

As far as clutter, there isn't even much in this mod yet, so i don't know what you mean by decluttering it...  If some units obsolete others (like the boomer sub being more useful than the dread, although with build limits, you might be inclined to use both) i'll either keep them in for kicks, or get rid of them because of it.  That takes more time spent playing and such.  8-9 /10 of the stuff that you an make already existed in the game, i just made it accessible or changed how you get it.  My mod is still within the realm of service-pack-dom, it's absolutely nowhere near as cluttery as a lot of mods i've seen that were akin to 'artists orgasm'...  They just kept adding stuff and adding stuff kinda thing.  Not my cup of tea.

I set out with the intention to make something less extravagant and more well rounded, and that is my intention.

Millennium wrote:
I always wonder if the small-font text contains important information... it's so hard to read on this screen.
because it wasn't really relevant, but if you cared enough you could copy it into notepad.  you should prob get a better screen, or fix your own if that's the case though.  i can read it fine, and my screen isn't even the best. though i do have good eyesight.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you don't have time to mod, then don't talk about it like you do...

Here you are throwing ideas around we all know will never make it into your mod, because if you haven't got the dedication to do it now, you never will.

Fact.

We all know this.

Sometihng else will distract you, some new shiny thing or a squirrel, and the year you spent talking about it will be for nothing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 4 of 6 [295 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!