Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Game Maker Studio
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aydra
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:  Game Maker Studio
Subject description: Game Engine Review
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've modded many C&C games over the years and in the past few months have been developing Indie Games using game development software called Game Maker Studio. I've learned the custom language it uses called GML and have developed 2 platformer style Indie game engines from scratch in the past 5 months. I started with zero knowledge of programming and had only slight previous experience with my mod for Tiberium Sun.

I know a lot of you have a great RTS game in mind and have been trying to use the non open source C&C game engines to develop it, but there is only one place those mods can go, on the shelf. Game Maker Studio is very user friendly and might be what your looking for. It is also free to use for windows games but can also be upgraded to export games to MAC, IOS, PS, XBOX, etc. It supports RTS style games and even isometric view!

The reason I'm posting this is a see a lot of drive and talent from modder's and those skills should be put to better use than a large scale total conversion of a game engine that's already property of another. Go and make a new RTS title of your own and even if it's simple I guarentee you will gain a fan base. Thats what I'm doing and hopefully you will consider it.

scr2.png
 Description:
Here's a pic of the game I was developing but is currently on hold:
 Filesize:  31.02 KB
 Viewed:  6168 Time(s)

scr2.png

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NICE!!!!

PS: I have a friend that might can help you in this project

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sometimes it's easier to coast off of another game's sails than to jump into an ocean of other indie games all alone.
It all depends on what you want to get out of it, and who you're doing it for

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Used it years ago, was my first try at actual developing and game making. Afaik a whole lot has changed since back then, which is about... 10-12 years ago? ztype I feel old now xD

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If use a programme like this one, I'd make another MegaMan X game (Always liked to play it) #Tongue, other than jbk productions MegaMan X corrupted.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to dig this one but I just found this topic and opportunity to promote my game using this topic. :p

Those game look really great I really want to learn more about it if you have any project website to visit.

http://www.moddb.com/games/metaloidorigin

https://www.facebook.com/retrorevogame

Me [Artist] and my friend [Programmer] create side scrolling platformer game call "Metaloid:Origin" using Game Maker Studio focus for IOS/Android but still can be play better on PC, Unlike most action game on mobile we really try to make it as "Real game" which lack of microtransaction thingy.

We was plan to release Alpha Demo on next month I hope if anyone interesting to help me test it and give me idea how to make the game better. Smile

and truly I really want to see more GMS user show their project here.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gorgeous. Don't think I'd mind testing it. Is it multiplayer?

I've been messing around with game maker for, well since an old version before it became studio, but never came up with anything interesting honestly. Recently been working on a Hotline Miami meets Resident Evil thing...

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny you posted this. I just finished the clown tutorial.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How much is it? and I mean really how much?

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Zengar
Holy_Master wrote:
[Feature Plan]
- Free game with 90% content can be unlock by playing. [IOS/Android Only]
- 5 Playable character with different power and weapons.
- 8-10 level feature different environment.
- More than 20 type of weapons.

Looks like a AAA game to me, if AAA game companies still do pixel art that is. I like it.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for your interest.

only problem I have for now is I don't know did the game offer some "fun" to player or not I decide to allow player test it at early of development maybe we can improve some feature or level design make it feel "right" for them since the game have only 2 person working on it we can't know by our self if the game good for player or not but for us it's away great.

can't deny the game still have some feature design to make money but mostly just some sort of cheat to help noob or lazy player finish the game easier than normal.

and sadly we don't have MP for our game even we want to include it so bad but we lack of ability to do so for now.

we still consider about game price for windows version but I didn't expect price to reach 10$ anyway. Laughing

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
@Zengar
Holy_Master wrote:
[Feature Plan]
- Free game with 90% content can be unlock by playing. [IOS/Android Only]
- 5 Playable character with different power and weapons.
- 8-10 level feature different environment.
- More than 20 type of weapons.

Looks like a AAA game to me, if AAA game companies still do pixel art that is. I like it.

I meant the engine.

But the game looks nice too, too bad I don't have a smart phone...

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you mean price of GMS it's about 100$ with our mobile export module but for steam version some time it price drop below 75% on sale often and truly can you try the free version on
which enough to learn something and create small game.

http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I picked the engine up by a humble bundle, Musing about things.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using the engine, can I make a game similar to super conflict for snes. That was a great game that I love

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes truly you can make any kind of game you want some one even try to make game like GTA on it.

better get free version to learn some basic before go buy it since it's quite expensive anyway.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But does the engine support 3d elements, and what are the limits of this engine. Oh and who is better GMS or unity

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can also make 3D game with GMS but it harder and not good as what you can do with unity. It's more design for 2d.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the clarification, and I might go for a turn based strategy game based on super conflict you can check it is a great game for super Nintendo there a emulators too and the ai is very challenging

Dny
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:
You can also make 3D game with GMS but it harder and not good as what you can do with unity. It's more design for 2d.

Out of curiosity if you wanted to do a 3D side scroller kinda like mighty .9 would you recommend gms or unity ?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unity, certainly.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dny wrote:
Holy_Master wrote:

Out of curiosity if you wanted to do a 3D side scroller kinda like mighty .9 would you recommend gms or unity ?
if you want to make anything 3D I suggest Unity but if you want to make your idea become real fast but not 3D GMS is a good choice.

Mighty No.9 base on Unreal Engine though.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, if I were to do a 2.5d, like a doom or a spooky's house?

With 3d enviroments but 2d characters, and such?

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

f it had any part of game as 3D I count the game as 3D you know? :p

yeah you can make game like Doom1-2 in GMS but It just harder and might not offer advance graphic function if you need one.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I bought it(for a fraction of the price) so I'm going to use it. Besides it has the best mix of parts that I need. and the work is not agrivating to my head at the moment like my unity work

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum