Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm
All times are UTC + 0
OpenRA Dev Blog
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [130 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:  OpenRA Dev Blog Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As some of you may or may not know, one of the reasons why TDX (and other projects of mine) are coming along so slowly is that I spend most of my available time on contributing to OpenRA.

For some time now my impression has been that - apart from changelogs so large individual items can easily be overlooked - modders might have a hard time keeping track of the engine's under-the-hood improvements, and therefore have yet to learn of the greatness that is OpenRA, even though the trend is clearly positive with people like Gangster, MigEater, GraionDilach and several others already converted.
Not everyone feels like frequently lurking around OpenRA's IRC channel or github repository, afterall.

Since it's admittedly hard to keep track of all the constant improvements we're making, I thought some kind of blog that previews upcoming improvements or highlights great, but currently unused* features would be nice. This will hopefully help modders to get a better impression of what awesome stuff already hides inside the engine or what great upcoming features and improvements are in the pipeline.

*The 3 currently shipping mods do not exploit every engine feature, sometimes because it's unsuited for a particular mod, sometimes due to lack of art, sometimes simply because nobody had the time to make the mod use it yet.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: #1: AI and harvesters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm starting with some stuff that will be featured in the next playtest/release, because in my opinion, it marks a major milestone in OpenRA history.

After ages of putting off modders and players alike, most show-stopper performance and AI issues will finally be gone.

- Performance of harvester resource search has been improved by a factor of over 10, eliminating one of the biggest performance issues affecting both human and AI players.

- AI now properly checks if a structure would put it on low power and in that case build a power plant instead.
- AI will no longer try to build naval structures when there isn't enough water available.
- AI will no longer endlessly try to build and place a structure if it has run out of build space.
- AI will now distribute orders to units over several 'ticks', instead of giving them out all at once causing one massive lag spike.

In summary, for the first time playing with multiple AIs (or lots of harvesters) will no longer result in painful slideshows.
There is no ETA on the next release yet, but at this point "some time in August" still seems realistic (fingers crossed).

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep us posted. I like to see more of these behind-the-scenes under-the-hood updates Smile

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm breaking more stuff than fixing with starting a long-planned refactor of the music code noone dared to do due to being aware of the above. Very Happy

Best under-the-hood change.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: #1: AI and harvesters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaperrr wrote:
I'm starting with some stuff that will be featured in the next playtest/release, because in my opinion, it marks a major milestone in OpenRA history.

After ages of putting off modders and players alike, most show-stopper performance and AI issues will finally be gone.

- Performance of harvester resource search has been improved by a factor of over 10, eliminating one of the biggest performance issues affecting both human and AI players.

- AI now properly checks if a structure would put it on low power and in that case build a power plant instead.
- AI will no longer try to build naval structures when there isn't enough water available.
- AI will no longer endlessly try to build and place a structure if it has run out of build space.
- AI will now distribute orders to units over several 'ticks', instead of giving them out all at once causing one massive lag spike.

In summary, for the first time playing with multiple AIs (or lots of harvesters) will no longer result in painful slideshows.
There is no ETA on the next release yet, but at this point "some time in August" still seems realistic (fingers crossed).

I'm really happy to know that somebody took care of these AI issues. It should definitely mark a major milestone in terms of macromanagement. I I just hope somebody makes AI become a bit smarter ion terms of macromanagement when patrolling a path and choosing the correct targets to fight against.

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: #1: AI and harvesters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

I'm really happy to know that somebody took care of these AI issues. It should definitely mark a major milestone in terms of macromanagement. I I just hope somebody makes AI become a bit smarter ion terms of macromanagement when patrolling a path and choosing the correct targets to fight against.

Sometimes I have a swarm of mammoth tanks and the AI thinks some lone infantry is more of threat then the incoming wave of destruction.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenRA Dev Blog Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that I reread the post, I'll also tell my impressions of the OpenRA engine and related, after a close ~2 months of working with.

It's really scalable for the most part, although it can't deny that there are many features which were written with a particular use-case in mind - thankfully, these are getting pushed out and generalized, like visceroid-spawning merged into husks, IronCurtain becoming a simple damagemultiplier:0 effect etc - which I'm strongly lobbying for.

There's another interesting aspect of this, due to the engine nature, I don't think a single mod can even reach the full depth of the possibilities the game have, this includes a custom mod even. On the other hand, the more mods, the more trait-combinations.

Honestly, when I think of it, modding OpenRA (especially with a contributor's eye, because I do contribute back too, although I still concentrate more to my own projects than OpenRA codebase á lá reaperrr) is like a journey into the unknown, with noidea what comes up next.

P.S. reaperrr, Graion Dilach, please. Or Graion. Just because I omit the space where it's unavailable does not mean I really prefer that form.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any reason the AI can't be made to use RA2/YR coding? Regardless if the syntax is changed for xml or whatever, but the same scripttypes abilities/functions...

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coding the AI via Lua is a long-term plan... although no idea what needs to be done for it.

Honestly though, the current AI ain't that bad - it works quite okay.

There's also Phrohdoh's ModularAI which might also sound good.

=======================

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Honestly RA2/YR AI coding is a mess and I'd rather see it more module (i.e. not separate teams for each difficulty, but 1 team with separate difficulty subtrees), still keeping the same capabilities of course. Cleaner code would be much nicer to add the new type of AI types to (see C&C3 and on {TS's [AIGenerals]}).

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TS AIGenerals thingie already exists - you can have as many AIs as you want already, although right now they only differ in building/unit preferences and some minor differences in place of AI difficulties.

=======================

Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
Honestly RA2/YR AI coding is a mess and I'd rather see it more module (i.e. not separate teams for each difficulty, but 1 team with separate difficulty subtrees), still keeping the same capabilities of course. Cleaner code would be much nicer to add the new type of AI types to (see C&C3 and on {TS's [AIGenerals]}).

OpenRA AI examples in CD:

(was testing an AI variant which expands with it's MCVs)
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/OpenRA-2015-07-23T170312Z.png

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/OpenRA_2015-07-09_19-12-05-82.jpg

Another example of defense lines:
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/OpenRA_2015-07-26_21-10-26-95.png

Planning to do several AI personalities (easy, normal hard, turtle, rush, tech, fortress, aircraft, infantry, vehicles, unchained).  Very Happy

But my fav part is this:
BTW AI use this system too, they pick their subfaction, research tech and more - AND it's not cheating #Tongue

Cool

Also here is a small example of how voxels act in OpenRA:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B64PmajIy3xDbTA2cjNXbFNiMm8/view?usp=sharing

You can see multiple weapons, voxel turning, voxel barrel recoil, etc

The Vanguard (Cyborg) has about 8 weapons = shrapnel. Mammoth MK.II has 4 railguns, 2 MG and 2 Missile launchers.

Notice that video is over a month old and that there has been a lot of progress since then for OpenRA and CD.

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crystallised Doom looks amazing.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: #2 Weapons Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another thing I've wanted to point out for quite some time (because OpenRA has had these features for quite a while):

You can have nearly unlimited weapons and unlimited turrets on any actor, and give some of these weapons their own pool of limited ammo.
You could make a battleship with two cannon turrets, a missile launcher, a half dozen smaller gun turrets at the sides, a depth charge launcher and a tesla coil, and assign multiple weapons to each turret, and let the main cannons run out of ammo after ~100 shots requiring the player to manually resupply them at a ship yard.
And yes, you can give each turret its own art, too. Turrets are upgradable as well, as are armaments, so you can turn a medium tank into a fully-fledged heavy tank via upgrades / veterancy, for example.

While we won't make it for the upcoming release, for the release after that we plan to have all actor body, turret and barrel render traits upgradable, so you'll be able to do some crazy stuff, if you want to (a TD T-Rex turning into a voxel mammoth tank after eating enough infantry while retaining veterancy? Will be possible).

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 Weapons Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaperrr wrote:

Yes, sr, thank you for making GLA Salvage visual upgrades possible!  Laughing

=======================

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And one more feature related to weapons I forgot to mention:

Remember how only RA1 had a somewhat sophisticated explosion system, where flak.shp was used when air targets were hit, water splashes when water (but not a target) was hit, and normal explosions in all other cases? Something which TS/RA2 even regressed from?
OpenRA supports all 6 possibilities: hitting an air target, missing an air target, hitting a ground target, missing a ground target, hitting a water target, missing a water target.
You can have a different explosion and sound for each of them, meaning you can have dust kicking up when a ground target was missed, and an explosion if the target was hit. And since OpenRA supports tileset-specific varations for all art sequences, you can even have a different explosion art depending on the tileset.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just going to ask about multi turreted units #Tongue

Is it possible to set the direction that a turret faces when idol?

What about turrets on turrets!?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The code is set up in a way that supports turrets on turrets, but the configuration to define that isn't exposed to the yaml.  If you had a serious use case for it somebody could add it.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 Weapons Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaperrr wrote:
Another thing I've wanted to point out for quite some time (because OpenRA has had these features for quite a while):

You can have nearly unlimited weapons and unlimited turrets on any actor, and give some of these weapons their own pool of limited ammo.
You could make a battleship with two cannon turrets, a missile launcher, a half dozen smaller gun turrets at the sides, a depth charge launcher and a tesla coil, and assign multiple weapons to each turret, and let the main cannons run out of ammo after ~100 shots requiring the player to manually resupply them at a ship yard.
And yes, you can give each turret its own art, too. Turrets are upgradable as well, as are armaments, so you can turn a medium tank into a fully-fledged heavy tank via upgrades / veterancy, for example.

While we won't make it for the upcoming release, for the release after that we plan to have all actor body, turret and barrel render traits upgradable, so you'll be able to do some crazy stuff, if you want to (a TD T-Rex turning into a voxel mammoth tank after eating enough infantry while retaining veterancy? Will be possible).

Inb4 someone makes a Baneblade for OpenRA #Tongue

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Another update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While the latest release has only been out for two weeks, the release branch has been in feature-freeze since early August, so there's already a pile of new things added to the development branch to look forward to. The following list is by no means exhaustive, these are just among the more notable improvements over release 20150919.

FEATURES:
-------------
1) Gamespeed control
Often requested, this has finally become affordable in terms of performance. It cannot be changed mid-game (yet), but at least you're not forced to play at OpenRA's default 25 ticks/second anymore.

2) More traits upgradable
Several actor traits are now upgradable, and support multiple traits of their kind on a single actor.
- all (sprite and voxel) body, turret and barrel traits, which means you can change the visuals of an actor through upgrades, including switching between sprite and voxel.
- the Armor trait. That's right, you can now have more than one armor type on any actor. You can enable or disable them via upgrades, and if there's more than one armor type enabled, their effects stack.
- the Targetable trait. You can now create situations where an actor becomes targetable only by specific weapons. This is already used for differentiation between landed and airborne aircraft.
- the BlocksProjectiles trait. This can be useful for cases like laser fences.

These are just the ones I could remember, there are (or will be) a few more.

PERFORMANCE:
------------------
1) Massively reduced performance impact of giving orders to larger numbers of units
Previously the engine would perform a synchronization op for every order to every unit. This was actually a larger performance issue than pathfinding and the main reason why the game would become very laggy when ordering larger armies around.
Orders are now no longer sync'ed, so the overhead has gone away completely.

2) Improved pathfinding performance
It's not a major breakthrough yet (it's still too slow for our in-development TS mod), but pathfinding now takes only about ~60% of the CPU time it took before and has become acceptable in terms of performance (at least compared to what we had before).

3) Fixed AI base-builder performance issue
We've identified and fixed another major AI performance issue in the base building placement code that occasionally caused huge lag spikes.

Oh, and the next release will be what the first non-beta release of TDX will be based on.  Wink

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What upcoming feature might I be demonstrating here?

feature-demo1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  366.14 KB
 Viewed:  28906 Time(s)

feature-demo1.png

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hitboxes?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

World x2? .-.

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure, if I will explain it right, but...
unit select boxes - units take more than one cell or somethung?

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is rectangular and round bar shaped hitboxes that you see in a developer overlay there. It also displays damage taken in the small numbers. What looks like a red lighting effect around the explosion is actually a visualisation of the damage fallout. Should assist in balancing the weaponry.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent idea and implementation.
Gameplay and modding wise this a very useful feature. thank you

I wonder if you could even go one step further and have a front,left,right,rear and top hit zone for units.
So you could create tanks which have significant more armor on the front than on their rear.

Would be great for certain assault units (strong front armor, but weak rear), which are very weak when retreating.
Or big ships which take more damage when a bomb hits the center on top than the side.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

penev
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

#10841 adds support for oramod packages, which let you ship and install mods as a single file in the OpenRA support directory (similar to manual map installation).  We eventually plan on adding mod support to the resource center, which will make mod discovery and installation as simple as selecting a server in the multiplayer lobby and pressing "install mod".

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's excellent. The easier it is for the user to install and create mods, the better.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tmsbrg has published a blog post introducing his final year university project to build a random map generator in OpenRA.

Earlier student projects have included developing a framework to easily port the original TD missions to OpenRA, and more recently Yellow/TheRaffy's work on weather particle effects.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird, I notice units turn casually relative to their direction of travel, unlike RA2 where units have to explicitly turn first. Clearly I don't know the mechanics at play and this is good for something omnidirectional like a helicopter, this behaviour needs some ability to customize I think?

Is it based on ROT and speed or are there explicit controls (even if fuzzy) to decide how things happen?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Turn-on-the-move and fire-on-the-move (at turrets) have no controls atm, they are permanently enabled.

=======================

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adding options for those would be quite straightforward.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I present to you:

Low bridges are currently static actors. Unlike the old Westwood games we use the layer approach only to change the terrain, but everything else will be able to interact with the existing traits and script interfaces for more flexibility.

In the future these will become destructible and repairable. What you see is a screenshot from the in-game map editor with the dead bridges drawn with transparency. The legacy map converter will automatically import these correctly now.

While this doesn't add much for new gameplay as you could already just paint road tiles over the water, this is another step towards Tiberian Sun's main feature. http://www.lofibucket.com/articles/tibsun_bridges.html =)

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
It is rectangular and round bar shaped hitboxes that you see in a developer overlay there. It also displays damage taken in the small numbers. What looks like a red lighting effect around the explosion is actually a visualisation of the damage fallout. Should assist in balancing the weaponry.

For various reasons it took much longer than I had originally hoped, but we're finally getting there.
For improved flexibility, hitboxes were moved from Health to a dedicated, conditional HitShape trait. This means that actors can have multiple hit-shapes at once, and that they can be turned on and off via conditions on the fly.
Additionally, you can now define custom targetable positions freely via offsets (relative to actor center). On top of that, we're about to fix our code so that these will not only be used for certain targeting and range calculations, but actually really for everything, so frontal attackers, turrets and weapons will really aim and shoot at the closest targetable position, instead of the target's center.

And while it might not be used by our TS mod, those customizable offsets work on the Z-axis as well, meaning you'll be able to make weapons shoot at the body of mechs, rather than their feet, make aircraft fire at the top of buildings, and so on.

d2k-shapes.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.96 KB
 Viewed:  23192 Time(s)

d2k-shapes.png

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Additionally, you can now define custom targetable positions freely via offsets (relative to actor center). On top of that, we're about to fix our code so that these will not only be used for certain targeting and range calculations, but actually really for everything, so frontal attackers, turrets and weapons will really aim and shoot at the closest targetable position, instead of the target's center.

And while it might not be used by our TS mod, those customizable offsets work on the Z-axis as well, meaning you'll be able to make weapons shoot at the body of mechs, rather than their feet, make aircraft fire at the top of buildings, and so on.

Very nice, I was always bothered of how this worked in the original games, and how it wasn't corrected until TW Neutral

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can this be used to create different armour strengths at different locations on units, so if you shot a unit in the rear it will take more damage etc?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not in the current shape, no. Probably possible at a later point, at the moment, this is unfinished and breaks the balanced-cellspread model (which was called as a hack but... bleh). Note that this requires that every building must have a manually set up hitbox.

=======================

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Not in the current shape, no. Probably possible at a later point

Yeah, it's on my TO-DO list since I need it myself for my MechCommander mod.

Graion Dilach wrote:
at the moment, this is unfinished and breaks the balanced-cellspread model (which was called as a hack but... bleh). Note that this requires that every building must have a manually set up hitbox.

Well, it is a hack. It only works for rectangle shapes, and was always meant as interim solution.
For all the more common rectangular shapes, you can simply define a default (^2x2shape etc.) once in defaults.yaml and then inherit the matching shape for each building. And you'll be able to copy most of these default shapes from our TS mod.

But for the sake of modder-friendlyness, I'll see if I can fix the 'ApplyToAllTargetablePositions' instead of removing it, although that probably means I'll change it to 'ApplyToAllOccupiedCells', to untie it from targetable offsets.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaperrr wrote:
But for the sake of modder-friendlyness, I'll see if I can fix the 'ApplyToAllTargetablePositions' instead of removing it, although that probably means I'll change it to 'ApplyToAllOccupiedCells', to untie it from targetable offsets.
Please lets not.  That will just encourage poor-performance practices if it doesn't bitrot, and like you said doing it properly is only barely more effort.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote wrote:
Reaperrr wrote:
Please lets not.  That will just encourage poor-performance practices if it doesn't bitrot, and like you said doing it properly is only barely more effort.

Out of sheer curiosity I made a quick attempt locally, only to realize it wouldn't even be that easy to fix anyway. So yeah, not worth the effort & downsides.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Our command bar make it easy to discover and use the various unit commands and stances (which have existed for years on keyboard shortcuts):

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I like! Can it (stances) be set on factories types, so all newly built unit could have a appropriate default stance?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's back. Nice you see you again Gangster. Smile

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster wrote:
I like! Can it (stances) be set on factories types, so all newly built unit could have a appropriate default stance?

No, but you can define default stances on the actors' AutoTarget trait themselves (although it's best to leave AI ones on AttackAnything).

pchote wrote:
Reaperrr wrote:

RenderSprites->Scale is still in, has been bitrot ages ago and nothing happens with that one. I find your argument invalid.

=======================

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
No..

Okay, and can I set Hold Fire on base defenses? (For a reason I don't know yet..)

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Nice you see you again Gangster.

I have missed you to
<3

Very Happy

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster wrote:
Can it (stances) be set on factories types, so all newly built unit could have a appropriate default stance?
IIRC C&C3 supported this, and it makes sense to add to OpenRA.  This won't be done for the first release with the commandbar, but if somebody wanted to adopt the feature then I see no reason why we couldn't include it in a future release.

Gangster wrote:
Okay, and can I set Hold Fire on base defenses?
Yes, you can.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum