Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Google Chrome no longer supports NPAPI
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject:  Google Chrome no longer supports NPAPI
Subject description: Which means all of the current sounds no longer play
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, as the title and description state, As of yesterday (1 SEPT 2015) Google Chrome stopped support of older plugin support altogether (meaning they no longer work at all) of older NPAPI plugins.

Google Chrome's Website wrote:
Plugins that use NPAPI, including Silverlight, Java, and Unity, won’t work. If you want to use a website that uses an NPAPI plugin, you’ll need to use a different web browser.

This means all of the sound bites posted (and all the non-youtube) also don't work, seeing as phpbb still uses quicktime's successor. The sound player used by phpbb is an NPAPI plugin.

Is there any way to update the forum plugin software to use newer Pepper API (PPAPI) plugin formats? I'd rather not change browsers since Chrome is integrated into pretty much all of my platforms.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

badbully
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

who in the hell anyways uses chrome I prefer Microsoft edge.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for warning me about this problem, DaTS. I've done some changes to the forums. It should use the HTML5 audio controls by default now in most themes, except ptifo.

However, I'm still playing with these settings because Firefox and Chrome does not play wma sounds with HTML5 audio and Internet Explorer 11 does not accept HTML audio at all and doesn't show the old player.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, after a hard work on this issue, I'm done with it.

MP3 and WAV files now use HTML5 audio component, while WMA files still relies on Windows Media Player (and compatible) plugin.

So, Chrome should preview MP3 and WAV. In order to preview WMA, install a plugin.

Internet Explorer 9+ previews MP3 and WMA. Old Internet Explorers only previews WMA. In order to preview WAV, change your browser (Edge works fine with WAV)

All other browsers works fine, as long as you have a windows media player plugin for WMA files.

Note that every browser allows you to download these files. So, if your browser doesn't fully support the technology used in these forums, you can still download the sounds and hear them with your favorite player.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome. Did you manage to get it to work with ptifo? Or does that theme still not utilize it yet?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got it to work for all themes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!