Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am
All times are UTC + 0
Mission briefings for new maps?
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
redfox34
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject:  Mission briefings for new maps? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've spent quite some time peering through the DTA file archives and mix files but can't for the life of me locate the mission.ini file I was expecting to use to create briefings for my new single player missions.   How are the briefings being stored now -- can I still add these myself?

(More word on the campaign itself in a bit, probably.)

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check the map files themselves Wink

They contain a [Briefing] section.

redfox34
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!  That did the trick.

One other question:  How do I get the campaign missions to properly transition to the next mission in the campaign?   I've mimicked the settings that Toxic Diversion and the Soviet campaign have set up on the maps and ini files, but feel like I must be missing something here again.  (Keeps failing to initialize map selection).

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a bit complex. The parameters for mission progression need to be correct not only in the map files, but also in MapSel.ini. In MapSel.ini you need to have an entry for the human player's house. Check the examples for the Toxic Diversion and Creeping Destruction.

Looking at DTA.log might help too, the game logs multiple entries related to scenario progression and checking them out has helped me multiple times in the past.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The main thing that's necessary for this to work properly is to make sure that the human player has a uniquely named house, which is used by the player in all maps of that campaign.
This is necessary because MapSel.ini only allows a single campaign per house.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
redfox34
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aw, man, I used Nod as the player house, so now I'm probably going to need to go back and create a new house for each mission and reassign all the units/triggers.  Fun fun fun.

Do you foresee issues with the tech tree when doing this?  I'm not sure if setting a house to behave as Nod is enough to get it access to all the same units/structures.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, there shouldn't be any issues with the tech tree. Just set the house's Side= value to Nod.

The Toxic Diversion uses TTEGDI as the house name, and it has no issues with the tech tree.

redfox34
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, so I've added a new house called "BTPNod", but it crashes the game on whatever mission it's added to.  It has identical settings to the default "Nod" house (Other than "allies", which is itself), and I replaced units/triggers as well, so my guess is the problem lies with the actual house.  I think I might be missing something again.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try opening the map with a text editor and under [Units], replace Spawn1-8 in front of BLDCNSTU with any house that's actually present on your map.
For testing purposes you can also simply remove those 8 lines to see if it stops the crashes, but keep in mind that any AI house that doesn't have this BLDCNSTU won't be able to build structures and if the human player is GDI, he won't be able to build all structures.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
redfox34
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have any BLDCNSTUs on the map in question, actually, so that can't be it, can it?  I tried removing the Spawn houses and Ctrl-F doesn't find them, but still experiencing crashes with the new house on, so that can't be it.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it's an older map, it could have BARLUs instead. Those also won't be there if you're already not getting any search results for Spawn1 - Spawn8 though.

I'm suspecting it might be related to the owners of triggers, although there's other possible causes as well.
If you send me the map, I could try and debug it for you if you like.

redfox34
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The crash is happening because not all houses are present in the [Houses] section of your map. If you open the map with a text editor, your [Houses] section looks like this:
Code:
[Houses]
0=GDI
1=Nod
2=Allies
3=Soviet
4=Neutral
5=Special
14=BTPNod

Simply replace that section with this and it will work:
Code:
[Houses]
0=GDI
1=Nod
2=Allies
3=Soviet
4=Neutral
5=Special
6=GDI1
7=Nod1
8=GDI2
9=Nod2
10=Allies1
11=Allies2
12=Soviet1
13=Soviet2
14=BTPNod

redfox34
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That did it indeed.  Thanks both of you for all your help, and rapid responses.

So I have two questions left, and once both are resolved I'm ready to release this campaign in its own post:

1.  BLDCNSTU: Is this structure necessary to be placed on the map for any AI house to be able to rebuild structures?  I don't want the AI to expand ala skirmish matches, just to be able to rebuild destroyed structures placed on the map.

2.  Is there anyway to get placed helicopters to dock with helipads?  I've had little luck with placement or "move to waypoint" commands, as well as unit state settings.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

redfox34 wrote:
1.  BLDCNSTU: Is this structure necessary to be placed on the map for any AI house to be able to rebuild structures?  I don't want the AI to expand ala skirmish matches, just to be able to rebuild destroyed structures placed on the map.

Yes, it's necessary for the AI to be able to build (and rebuild) anything at all. In singleplayer missions, I don't think it's possible for the AI to build and expand like in Skirmish in the first place.
redfox34 wrote:
2.  Is there anyway to get placed helicopters to dock with helipads?  I've had little luck with placement or "move to waypoint" commands, as well as unit state settings.

Pre-placed helicopters can't be placed perfectly in the center of a helipad. The best option is to instead make the helicopters appear as reinforcements and then make them attack some target so that they'll automatically fly towards and dock with the helipads when they run out of ammo or their target is destroyed.

Edit:
It's possible that a more direct command works as well, but I haven't tested this. In the script of the helicopter reinforcement team, try selecting "Do this..." for type of action and then set the parameter to "4 - Retreat home for R&R". See if this automatically makes the helicopters land on their helipads already, without having to be ordered to attack something first.

Edit2:
I did a few tests and I found that the only way to get to get reinforcement aircraft to automatically fly towards and dock with their helipads is by making making the reinforcements appear via Action type "7 Reinforcement (team)..." (and not "80 Reinforcement (team) [at waypoint]...") and then adding "Scatter" as the only action for the team's script. The aircraft will then appear from the side of the map and will all automatically move to a free helipad of the same house.

Among my tests I also tried using "Do this..." as the action for the script and "15 - Hunt" as the parameter, but this caused all 3 aircraft that I was using for this test to land on the same helipad Confused

redfox34
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum