Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:52 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Question about Harvester timing
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:  Question about Harvester timing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been doing some research for OpenRA's TS mod, related to eco things. One of the things here is the speed at which Harvester load / unload.
As you may know, these can be changed by a set of tags normally not used in rules.ini. According to ModEnc, these are the following with their default values:
Code:
HarvesterDumpRate = 0.016
HarvesterLoadRate = 2

Note: all here is done with a reduced Harvester storage of 10 instead of the default 28 for easier math. My testing was done at Fast / 30 FPS because this is the default OpenRA speed.

I gave a try at figuring the HarvesterDumpRate out first. I quickly get stuck at the math here. The WW comments say time is calculated in minutes. 0.016 minutes gives me 0.96 seconds. According to this, a Harvester full with 10 bails should take 9.6 seconds to unload (10*0.96s). However, testing ingame I keep getting roughly 5.5s of unload time. I can't figure out how 10 bails and the 0.016 value results into 5.5 seconds.

Similarly, the HarvesterLoadRate is a rather generic value of 2. Now obviously this can't be minutes cause a Harvester never spends half an hour in a field before returning to a refinery (if it was per bail), nor does it spend 2 minutes to harvest until full (if it was for a full load). From TI's rules I have learned that this value cannot be lower then 1 or else it will never harvest at all. I assume this value was revealed by trial and error.

My question now is: how are the values for HarvesterDumpRate and HarvesterLoadRate read ingame (as in: converted to a period of time).

If this is already answered before, or must be in the Research Center, link / move it.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you taken the ingame FPS into account? For WW, 1 minute in game time is 1 minute in real life at 15 FPS. When running at 30 FPS, you're basically cutting the unload time in half.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Have you taken the ingame FPS into account? For WW, 1 minute in game time is 1 minute in real life at 15 FPS. When running at 30 FPS, you're basically cutting the unload time in half.

That might explain a lot. So, the math of the unloading is correct then?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know. You could test it at 15 FPS #Tongue

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For OpenRA the answer is easy: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Traits#harvester UnloadTicksPerBale with one tick lasting 40 miliseconds in the normal speed. When setting up the Tiberian Sun harvester I probably took values from our RA or TD mod to fill the gaps. I guess it needs tweaking to match the original pacing.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know that Matthias. It's just that I need to figure out what the TS values are in the time units OpenRA uses. Nolt and I already have an approximate of how it was in TS, but it still 'feels' too fast at times, hence we want to know the exact values TS used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon