Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm
All times are UTC + 0
DTA Oddities
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:  DTA Oddities
Subject description: Perhaps they're bugs I discovered (latest version)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(NOTE: I use IE DDRAW as renderer, and am using Windows 7. The DTA compatibility fix is also on. I've tried all of the alternate DDRAWs, and only the IE seems to work best for me)

- In game, when I pause, and go to save a game, after it says "game saved" and I click "OK", the in game menu box then vanishes. However, it is actually still present, I just can no longer see it. So I have to guess where the "Resume Mission", etc. buttons are and then click blindly with my mouse cursor to try to un pause the game. Or, I can press "Alt + Tab" to cycle thru programs, and when I land back on DTA, I now can see the menu box, but with a black background, instead of the in game battlefield background. Also, I cannot see any other program while DTA is running; I go to "Alt + Tab" to my music player to change a song, but the screen is black! I can use keyboard shortcuts to control the music player, but I can't actually see anything for me to be able to use the mouse cursor!

- Volkov, "flashes" while he moves, as he is in elite status. Its the "unit promoted" flashing effect that occurs whenever your unit gains veterancy? For some reason, an elite Volkov, when you give him a move order? When he moves, he starts that flashing GFX effect, until he stops moving, and then repeat.

- I find that Attack Dogs will not do anything, unless you set them to guard mode. Then they will actually go and kill people. But, they chase after tanks as well, kinda like a dog chasing after a car, lol. This shit is proly hard coded.

- The Shock trooper, I swear on some guy's grave, I had a shock trooper at elite status? His weapon changed from shock rifle to Nod flamethrower!

Other than that? EPIC MOD! You guys deserve a ztyping golden brick house. This is C&C revised!

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: DTA Oddities Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windowed mode can give completely different performance from full-screen mode, so try all renderers while having windowed mode as well. You can enable borderless mode and change the game resolution to match your desktop resolution to make it look exactly like full-screen mode.

I personally use borderless windowed mode along with the default renderer, although it does look a bit laggy (jittering/micro stutter) when my refresh rate is set to 60 Hz, while it looks perfectly smooth on 144 Hz.
When using a refresh rate of 60 Hz, (borderless) windowed mode along with the "DDWrapper" renderer gives good results for me.
Mind that I'm running DTA on Windows 10, with an Nvidia GPU.
When I still used Windows 7, I was actually able to run DTA in Full Screen mode with the default renderer perfectly, while having compatibility fix not installed. I can't say whether or not the compatibility fix makes a difference at all on Windows 7 (on Windows 8 and 10 it's definitely necessary however), so it might be worth a try to uninstall it and see whether that makes the performance better or worse with different renderers.

Just like the general game performance, the pause menu also behaves different with different renderers, on different systems.
DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr wrote:
Volkov, "flashes" while he moves, as he is in elite status. Its the "unit promoted" flashing effect that occurs whenever your unit gains veterancy? For some reason, an elite Volkov, when you give him a move order? When he moves, he starts that flashing GFX effect, until he stops moving, and then repeat.

I added this effect intentionally by editing the unit's SHP. This was done to make it a lot more noticeable, considering that its tiny size made it very hard to spot, especially when it's walking among a group of other infantry.
DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr wrote:
I find that Attack Dogs will not do anything, unless you set them to guard mode. Then they will actually go and kill people. But, they chase after tanks as well, kinda like a dog chasing after a car, lol. This shit is proly hard coded.

It's indeed hardcoded for dogs to attack any enemy unit, even if it can't damage it. As a work-around, they were given a dummy weapon that just prevents them from attacking vehicles and structures (so that you won't see it constantly leaping at targets it can't destroy), but that doesn't prevent them from still chasing after those targets.
Judging from the code, dogs should automatically attack enemies that are within 8 cells. If they don't, the engine must be preventing it and there's nothing I can do about it.
DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr wrote:
The Shock trooper, I swear on some guy's grave, I had a shock trooper at elite status? His weapon changed from shock rifle to Nod flamethrower!

Looks like that's indeed a bug. Laughing I'll get right on fixing that!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even the shock troopers recognize the power of purifying flames.

If you are by any chance using a Nvidia graphics card I noticed about every driver update they do it creates some bizarre issues for DTA. Typically the default or IE draw are the best to go with that card. But that still means you have to fanagle with the darn thing to get it to work properly. If you are using a Nvidia card then please give us an idea of what version driver you are running when posting issues like this as some previous drivers work a lot better for DTA vs. the current drivers.

Also with Win 7 the compatability patch is useless unfortunately, from "my perspective" as it tended to create more issues than fix them for me. So I disabled it and my menu (yes I had the same issue as you) began to function properly in full screen.

Win 7 DTA does not like alt+tab functions so try your best not to do it unless you need to as it can sometimes cause "hic-ups" with the menu. And if for any reason you are compiling music or anything like a game engine and alt+tab DTA goes nuts. (Thats not an issue the devs can fix as its a resource allocation issue with the user.)

I hope some of this helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum