Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Tactics, Whats in your control group?
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Does discussing your tactics with others improve your gameplay?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Uncertain
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:  Tactics, Whats in your control group?
Subject description: A survey of choice
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone I am working on a little project and I was curious to what kind of units players typically bunch together into control groups to tackle various tasks. What I'm going to do is create fictional scenarios here in the forums where I state "your" intended target and you tell me what you would send to defeat it.

Some rules for this study to help guide your choices;
    -What units would you use to be the most efficient when juggling a struggling economy?
    -The option to "spam" a particular unit is not valid in this study.
    -Your idea of what would be the least and max requirements to complete the task.
    -Actual unit figures are more helpful than the statement "I drove tanks over thar and they killeded it to def". Having said that estimations are fine as asking for deterministic results are unrealistic.

Fictional Scenarios: In these scenarios time is not a limiting factor but having said that please adhere to the survey rules above. Money of course is not an issue but give me a general idea of how you would combat said scenarios. Keep in mind I am not interested in the tactics you wish to employ (unless they are brilliant) only the units you chose for the given scenario. Feel free to use any faction for your unit choice but please do not mix and match factions like GDI and Allies for example as that would defeat the purpose of getting reasonable results. Some of you may notice that some scenarios are vague or purposely one sided and abstract, simply supply the answer you feel would best solve the scenario.

Scenario 1:

Your base is being attacked by 10 minigunners, 5 bazooka, 5 light tanks, and 2 flame tanks. You don't have any base defenses up yet and you only have 1 infantry and vehicle production structure

Scenario 2:

Your base is under constant assault from infantry in a non stop barrage of bodies being produced from your foe, how do you combat this?

Scenario 3:
5 Mammoth tanks, 3 mobile rocket, 5 minigunners, 5 grenadiers, and 4 hum-vees are attacking and you have no base defenses up yet and you only have 1 infantry and vehicle production structure

Scenario 4:
A cyborg commando that has reach max rank is tearing through your base, what units do you use to eliminate it?

Scenario 5:
A commando or similar unit such as Tanya or Volkov are tearing though your base what units do you use to eliminate it?

Scenario 6:
Your base is under constant aerial assault and they have destroyed your mcv, you have multiple production structures for both infantry and vehicles. How do you defend your base and how do you deal with eliminating the aerial threat for good.

Scenario 7:
Your base is under constant assault by 20 recon bikes, 10 nod buggys, and 10 microwave tanks, they have your base surrounded and the majority of your defenses disabled. Your production structures are still intact but your harvesters are disabled. Your current cash reserve is 2000. How do you quickly turn this around?

Feel free to answer any or all of the scenarios you wish. As this is a voluntary survey please do not feel pressured or required to answer any or all of them. But the more information the better results. Very Happy

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tactics, Whats in your control group? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Einhander wrote:
Scenario 1:
Your base is being attacked by 10 minigunners, 5 bazooka, 5 light tanks, and 2 flame tanks. You don't have any base defenses up yet and you only have 1 infantry and vehicle production structure

Depends on the tech level. If I had a radar or a tech center (depending on side), I'd build artillery / rocket launchers / an SSM to deal with the infantry. If I was forced to use tier 1 units, then I'd use grenadiers or flamethrower infantry, possibly combined with recon units to take out the infantry (the enemy doesn't have anything to hard-counter my infantry). The tanks I'd counter with a bunch of rocket infantry and MBTs of my own.

Einhander wrote:
Scenario 2:
Your base is under constant assault from infantry in a non stop barrage of bodies being produced from your foe, how do you combat this?

Artillery / SSM / rocket launchers / V2s combined with a couple of pillboxes / guard towers / flame turrets. With multiple long-range units the base defenses would barely receive any damage from the constant infantry flow. If I had no tech for artillery, then simply a massive amount of anti-infantry base defenses (or Buggies as Nod).

Einhander wrote:
Scenario 3:
5 Mammoth tanks, 3 mobile rocket, 5 minigunners, 5 grenadiers, and 4 hum-vees are attacking and you have no base defenses up yet and you only have 1 infantry and vehicle production structure

This is a pretty difficult situation since the enemy has counters for basically everything. Anyway, I'd use MBTs or long-range units to take out the rocket launchers, while having rocket infantry against the Mammoth tanks. The rocket infantry would be protected from the humm-vees and enemy infantry by long-range units, MBTs or grenadiers / flamethrower infantry. Basically, you need a great mix of units here, similar to what the enemy has. Then it becomes a test of who manages their units better.

Einhander wrote:
Scenario 4:
A cyborg commando that has reach max rank is tearing through your base, what units do you use to eliminate it?

If I had a bunch of artillery or aircraft nearby, I'd use those. Otherwise, tanks are the only way to beat it.

Einhander wrote:
Scenario 5:
A commando or similar unit such as Tanya or Volkov are tearing though your base what units do you use to eliminate it?

Tanya can't do anything against recon units (Hum-vees, Buggies, Rangers). Volkov's case is similar to the Cyborg case above, he's just easier to kill.

Einhander wrote:
Scenario 6:
Your base is under constant aerial assault and they have destroyed your mcv, you have multiple production structures for both infantry and vehicles. How do you defend your base and how do you deal with eliminating the aerial threat for good.

I'd use rocket infantry, rocket launchers (GDI), bikes (Nod) and / or Mobile flak cannons (Allies) to defend my base. If I was Soviet, I'd use mainly rocket infantry (while Mammoth tanks have AA capabilities, they're quite slow and as such poor at defending against fast threats like aircraft). Eliminating the aerial threat comes in the form of either building a new MCV and then proper AA defences, or just building enough tanks and rushing the enemy air base #Tongue

Einhander wrote:
Scenario 7:
Your base is under constant assault by 20 recon bikes, 10 nod buggys, and 10 microwave tanks, they have your base surrounded and the majority of your defenses disabled. Your production structures are still intact but your harvesters are disabled. Your current cash reserve is 2000. How do you quickly turn this around?

2000 credits against 20 bikes and 10 buggies? While bikes suck in latest DTA versions, there's too many of them; I'd be simply dead here. Anyway, I'd probably rely on base defenses (hoping to get enough of them to make the microwave tanks insufficient to keep them all down) and rocket infantry, trying to grab some extra cash by selling everything that isn't absolutely necessary for survival. One trick to try could also be timing the structure selling so that I get double survivors from each structure (from selling + from when the structure blows up), which could make it possible to gather enough Minigunners / Rifle infantry to survive.

Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why do I get the feeling all my future results for this survey are going to be heavily tainted by ramps awesomeness? I really should have made a rule against you posting but its to late now. Either way your input is actually quite valuable.

I just hope everyone doesn't copy your choices. Very Happy

Surprisingly a lot of your choices don't match up with my own choices or tactics.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4 Nuke trucks flown in directly into the enemy group by 4 helitrans. Boom
Works on pretty much every scenario  Twisted Evil

One question is: Are these enemy units controlled by the AI or by a human.
Against an AI, you can use several exploits of the AIs stupidity to make it easier.

e.g. Scenario 10
3-4 minigunner would be able to kill those 10 microwave tanks. A human however would counter the minigunner with his buggies, while the AI would be stupid and attack something else with them.

I would build 5 bazookas to kill all the bikes
1 tank to distract the buggies and take their fire, while my remaining bazookas (now elite due to the killed bikes) will make short work with the buggies

Against a human without any unit ready, there is no chance to win Scenario 10. The bikes can kill the warfactory faster than it can build a tiny buggy, not to speak of one or more tanks.

In all other scenarios, many artilleries help with a few tanks in front of them to take the damage.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in a situation with scenario 10 is pretty dire. Although a possible  strategy. One can hope to bait the units to spread out to lessen the impact of the attack. maybe use an MCV or harvester and  kite them into defensive structures, and build up choke points or bait them into elemental hazards, hell even have them drive by an enemy bases if possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum