Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am
All times are UTC + 0
New category
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:  New category
Subject description: Yep
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

since I am learning C++ and I am coming near my first ever Pure GAME in my Z -engine I was wandering why there is no programming language category in ppm?
so I request a one with a shape of like this.

--Programming Languages
----C++
----C#
----Java
----Visual basic
----Other languages
many of members here know different languages as C# used in OpenRA.
C++ used in RA++, CNCNET , Z -engine

who don't we make one as I feel like RA2 modding is going to an end except the mega mods like MO and most of RA2 history will be done on different & better engines as OpenRA.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zlixine, this is a modding forum, not programming.
There are other sites like codeproject, stackoverflow for these things.
Using google when learning a new programming language helps as well. (keyword "tutorial")

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
zlixine, this is a modding forum, not programming.
There are other sites like codeproject, stackoverflow for these things.
Using google when learning a new programming language helps as well. (keyword "tutorial")

I know that is a modding forum but why don't we do it? we can list it under Miscellaneous Forums + the other sites don't have knowledge of the Ancient RA2 and YR logics & stuff so they won't help if the problem is recreating a logic or effect from ra2.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like if that matters. For recreating stuff, you can ask how the logic works in their respective modding forums - like that one person ages ago who popped up for extracting RA2 civ buildings for his Spring-based mod maybe, notsure on the receiving side.

It would only make sense for project-related coding - like say, Pascal questions regarding the actual code of VXLSE - but thoe can fall below their project's areas and it shouldn't go down to Hello World level etc. That's indeed stackoverflow and co.'s area.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was already thinking about creating programming or game programming forums for PPM for a couple of years, but the plans to extend PPM into an indie game development network has never progressed much. I still have doubts how I'd add it. It's technically part of the Modding Central category, which could be renamed to Editing Central. I just don't know if it would be placed below Media Hut or above Public Project Announcements.

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So no hope for the forum?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To implement any such subforum, it should also have any use beyond the usual github or other svn like system, which provide excellent software development environments.
So i don't see how this forum could offer anything, the others can't offer.

For example, If there are currently any OpenRA source code questions, they can go completely fine in the OpenRA forum.

Complete new projects are better started/hosted on github anyway. There is no reason to upload here any source codes.

If anything there could be some kind of "useful links" collection to other sites providing infos about certain logics like "how to implement A* pathfinding algorithms", shader, interface design, basic game design and code structuring etc and links to tutorials like "how do i start my own 3D game engine".

For any questions concerning a certain programming language, a subforum would be useless. Since most of the time they would be only answered with links to other pages like codeproject or stackoverflow where 99.9% of these questions have been answered already a dozen times.
So it will be only a subforum for people who are too lazy to google the answer themselves and rather open a new topic here.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LKO, if you expect PPM to cover unique things only, I'm really sorry to blow up your expectations, but that won't happen. Everything that PPM covers is covered in some other website of the internet. And those things that nowadays PPM does the best* coverage or has the best* community to talk about it were once covered in a better way* in other sites of the internet.

Anyway, we have a huge amount of programmers around these forums and they either code games or tools for games. There is a serious potential for a game engine and tools development community in this place.

* According to the perspective of some individuals

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!