Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Tiberian Dusk
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:  Tiberian Dusk
Subject description: A recreation of the original TS mod Tiberian Sun Dusk For TS
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello To all! I want to honor the original mod Tiberian Sun Dusk by redeveloping it for the Bleed branch of OpenRA's TS mod, and then when the branch becomes integrated into OpenRA's production branch, target production. Alot can be achieved, and the modding paradigm is superior. while also enabling skills used to develop TD, RA, TS and RA2 transferable to the OpenRA engine, so this is a natural progression of  events and decisions.

So now that remains is that the opportunity is there and who would be interested to join and continue this fine mods legacy.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm already being busy with a lot (3) of TS/RA2-originated OpenRA mods, so at best I could only end up as being advisor or something like that.

Also I never played TSD.

But if you need some help, feel free hitting me up somewhere.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This ^.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do wonder the point, are you gonna make all new  assets for it as TSD was pretty much left unfinished long ago by Judeau and I don't see him returning.

If this is just to port the old mod over, it isn't much of a goal.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ApolloTD wrote:
I do wonder the point, are you gonna make all new  assets for it as TSD was pretty much left unfinished long ago by Judeau and I don't see him returning.

If this is just to port the old mod over, it isn't much of a goal.

Alot has happened in the time between when we all worked on this and now, and I don't think Jud in any way will return. Despite this, if he chose to return then he will return as the mod creator and head of the group that saw TSD come to be.

Regarding assets and design, absolutely not. Simply porting TSD to OpenRA would make for an unoriginal and uncreative project/mod. I couldn't agree more!! The goal would be to recreate the very essence of what TSD was designed to be, and combine that with how we wanted things to be, but couldn't because of the limitations of TS at the time, and then add new functionality available to OpenRA or mod specific functionality we choose to create.  

Graion and Nolt - TSD will be an open source project and as such the link to the repo is this, there is nothing substantial there yet however https://github.com/skeights/OpenTSD you will need to know how to use Git though. It's basicaly a copy of the TS bleed branch until TSD specific progress is made.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

D':

yeeeee.... a good new!
good luck Motercha : )

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome (back) to the house of fun, Dregan! Very Happy

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggest you copy the whole OpenRA folder on that branch, otherwise your mod will become unplayable once the bleed updates too far from where you were.

Hope I see you on IRC one day.

ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nolt wrote:
I suggest you copy the whole OpenRA folder on that branch, otherwise your mod will become unplayable once the bleed updates too far from where you were.

This is still better though, one should just symlink/checkout the repo into a bleed OpenRA repo (or with one which has the TSD folder added into .gitignore and then just rebase that single commit all the time). Or checkout the repo into the user folder since mods can nowadays go even there.

Although IMO remove the TS dlls and reference them from the TS mod directly. There's no point in copying them over.

Also Open Red Alert != OpenRA. OpenRedAlert succeeded into Hyper's and co. RA++ project in these days.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
blubb
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aahh judeau, fine guy, man that was long ago.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
I had a look at http://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun-dusk to see what will await us, but the screenshots are a bit blurry. The reviews praised it for naval warfare (probably no problem there) and AI programming: You may be interested in the latest AI scripting done in Lua prototype https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/10946 which gives a lot of freedom, but is probably not as easy to handle as the configurable TS bots.

Don't forget that the mod was released 8 years ago. Naval warfare if I remember correctly was also a massive pain to do back then and the AI was relentless and brutal haha.

Coding in Lua won't be a problem, and infact I'd prefer to have the freedom to create the AI from scratch. Here's a flight controller I wrote for Besiege that controls a Tiltwing,  
https://github.com/skeights/besiege-vertibird/blob/master/Scripts/Vertibirdv4.lua

HG_SCIPCION wrote:
D':

yeeeee.... a good new!
good luck Motercha : )

Thanks man:)

Aro wrote:
Welcome (back) to the house of fun, Dregan!

XD, it's good to be back, I bet the house hasn't changed one bit lol. Dregan! now that takes me back:)

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Nolt wrote:

This is still better though, one should just symlink/checkout the repo into a bleed OpenRA repo (or with one which has the TSD folder added into .gitignore and then just rebase that single commit all the time). Or checkout the repo into the user folder since mods can nowadays go even there.

Although IMO remove the TS dlls and reference them from the TS mod directly. There's no point in copying them over.

Also Open Red Alert != OpenRA. OpenRedAlert succeeded into Hyper's and co. RA++ project in these days.

I still have to figure our the way to extract the ts file from my fork of OpenRA with full history in tact, but I prefer to have the mod file as a separate repo. I'll probably just create a batch file that does what this does https://gist.github.com/ssp/1663093 and then merge changes from the ts file into the mod as they get pushed.

blubb wrote:
aahh judeau, fine guy, man that was long ago.

He was a good man indeed, and aye, that was quite a while ago indeed. 8 years!

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mortecha wrote:
I still have to figure our the way to extract the ts file from my fork of OpenRA with full history in tact, but I prefer to have the mod file as a separate repo.
Don't duplicate mod dlls! This can cause situations where the engine loads multiple copies of the same traits, which leads to obscure crashes that are not obviously related to this logic duplication.

You need to reference the existing TS dll from the TS mod, and then create your own mod dll for your custom logic.  If you need to modify the logic of an existing trait in one of the DLLs you can copy it into your dll as long as you rename it.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote wrote:
Mortecha wrote:
I still have to figure our the way to extract the ts file from my fork of OpenRA with full history in tact, but I prefer to have the mod file as a separate repo.
Don't duplicate mod dlls! This can cause situations where the engine loads multiple copies of the same traits, which leads to obscure crashes that are not obviously related to this logic duplication.

You need to reference the existing TS dll from the TS mod, and then create your own mod dll for your custom logic.  If you need to modify the logic of an existing trait in one of the DLLs you can copy it into your dll as long as you rename it.

Thanks for the info pchote! This will be the first change I'll make:) Also love the work you guys have been doing.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look at https://github.com/GraionDilach/OpenRA/commit/6cb232fe90b0f0877ab6ff9c9078df602f40a69c imo.

It allows you to do what you want - if you, say, add mods/opentsd into the .gitignore and commit it up to your own local skeights/OpenRA repo, you can rebase that one commit all the time, while still maintaining a separate repo for TSD. Although I'm not sure if you want to have your own DLL longterm, if yes, you'll have to come up with a headache á lá the RA2 mod.

=======================

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll have a look, this is the most important thing to figure out before any mod progress gets made, I just need some time to look over it an understand it.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

https://github.com/OpenRA/ra2 also has established although not perfect, but a way on how to develop an OpenRA mod outside the main repository. The make scripts and Travis CI configuration files might give you some ideas how you can setup your own GitHub repository that tries to follow the development version of OpenRA.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

We was only given rights to use the name, and we decided against it for the good of everyone after a long discussion with Matthias. We do not use any of the code base from OpenRedAlert.

blubb wrote:
aahh Judeau, fine guy, man that was long ago.

Judeau was a modding machine, but I do not miss the amount of EXCEPT.TXT files that guy would throw at me! Razz

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
https://github.com/OpenRA/ra2 also has established although not perfect, but a way on how to develop an OpenRA mod outside the main repository. The make scripts and Travis CI configuration files might give you some ideas how you can setup your own GitHub repository that tries to follow the development version of OpenRA.

I'll implement my solution this way:)

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ehhhhhhhhhh... okay.

I understand Maeilander likes the RA2 way but I'll certainly avoid such messes entirely. And yes, I do believe RA2 became a mess in terms of management.

So have fun and good luck.

=======================

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The project is openly developed. You are free to submit better solutions at any time.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I'm going to be arranging progress into monthly posts and have them contained in news postings on the main forum page. But am excited about this one and wanted to share it with you all immediately as it's the first unit created specifically for mod.

Progress preview 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  267.05 KB
 Viewed:  6670 Time(s)

Progress preview 2.png

Progress preview one.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  400.12 KB
 Viewed:  6670 Time(s)

Progress preview one.png

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Model looks nice, and the conversion to vxl looks great, except it needs a little cleaning, as it has grey dots on the yellow texture, makes me want to start using the program again.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks man. I agree with you about the grey dots on the yellow texture. I'm assuming your mean 3dsMax? any modelling program is good as long as it can export into .3DS.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, I use 3dsmax almost everyday, I meant 3ds2vxl, getting those textures to look like on the scene is quite impossible for me, and making them look nice is hard already.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I remember trying to get models with high quality textures to look good by default, by editing the textures themselves and reducing the quality. I found that no matter what you do, you wont get a good quality voxel texture out of it as the difference in resolution between the voxel and the model texture it too great.

What I love about 3DS2VXL is that you can specify the length of the unit, so can always be sure that the voxel has correct proportions to the model, and you can make any unit conform to your scaling system.

Made some more progress today too, here's some sneak peaksXD

NOD helipad preview.png
 Description:
I am going for a self contained design, where each building sits on a hollowed out concrete island/bunker filled with rooms and storage facilities. As well as inspirations from Renegade and those cool Micro Machine bases I had as a kid.
 Filesize:  113.7 KB
 Viewed:  6511 Time(s)

NOD helipad preview.png

GDI Jeep prev2.png
 Description:
Further work on details to the Jeep.
 Filesize:  190.71 KB
 Viewed:  6553 Time(s)

GDI Jeep prev2.png

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey that's cute! Smile

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That shadow on the helipad dish resembles something very... dark knighty...

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nolt wrote:

I AM THE NIGHT. Laughing

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Hey that's cute! Smile

Thanks G-ESmile It does have that cute toy like appearance to it.

Nolt wrote:

Lol, I didn't even notice until you mentioned it.

Here's the nod jeep straight off the press, VXL incoming. I keep the wheels transparent as they will be removed during the conversion. Wheels never seem to come out right so they will be done by hand in the editor.

I have also been playing around with various designs for war factories trying to establish ones for each of the factions, I like them all but am not completely set on them just yet.

NOD buggy mesh view.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.66 KB
 Viewed:  6410 Time(s)

NOD buggy mesh view.png

NOD Jeep render.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.08 KB

NOD Jeep render.png

War factories preview.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.48 KB

War factories preview.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon