Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm
All times are UTC + 0
8-Bit Armies - Petroglyph's Newest Upcoming RTS
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [43 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:  8-Bit Armies - Petroglyph's Newest Upcoming RTS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They said there might be 5 more upcoming Factions if the Game sells well enough/Gets enough fans.

P.S. Speeder saw it first before me...

Last edited by Atomic_Noodles on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ya I am actually looking forward to this one...

It looks like its being released 4/22... so it will be very soon.

I wonder how much its going to cost...

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How much will it cost?

The cost of 8-Bit Armies is only $14.95 in the United States and adjusted accordingly for other territories based on the exchange rate. After the initial launch discount, we aren't planning any discount for at least the first 6 months.

Quote from offical 8-bit armies website.
More infos you can find here:

http://www.8bitarmies.com/

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks a bit too cartoony for my taste.

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, thats the goal what they wanted to to reach with this game, its not a mistake that this game is called 8-Bit armys  Laughing

Not like Red alert 3, where they made HD cutsences that looks a bit realistic and then come with a comic game that makes no sence.  Confused

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I'm not a fan of those overly simplistic tech trees.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, the number of different units will be very limited, leading to limited tactics and gameplay that lacks variety. Just as I expected from Petroglyph. Even Tiberian Dawn GDI had a more diverse unit arsenal.

I also dislike the graphics. It doesn't look "8-bit" at all, just colorful and blocky. Instead of 8-Bit Armies it should be called MineCraft Armies.

Maybe it'll be interesting for new gamers (especially children) who haven't played an RTS before, but I doubt it'll offer anything new or better for C&C veterans.

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the tech tree is limited but its a nice start, and sorry but if you played some old games on your old 8-bit console you may know why is this game concepted on a "minecraft" style.

And i also dont only think that just children will like this game, bacause of its old style in a 3D universum it will have some fans that remember the days where they played a old game with the similar grafics.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just don't get why the pixel art in the game looks worse than Dune 2 (particularly the cameos).

If they actually went with this full style then it could've been really cool.

Then of course the tech tree is incredibly minimal... like unbelievable, even worse that there is only one faction with 3 infantry, 4 vehicles and 3 aircraft. Seem like RTS-lite at best, unless it has some really interesting map/terrain stuff that adds strategy.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
I doubt it'll offer anything new or better for C&C veterans.

The voices/SFX might be useful. Might.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my hope is that this game is only the foundation (The 3D engine) for other RTS games from Petroglyph, that comes with their grafic style near Red alert 1  Cool

BTW nice example for an 8-bit game :

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

I also forgot about the music.

drive wrote:
And i also dont only think that just children will like this game, bacause of its old style in a 3D universum it will have some fans that remember the days where they played a old game with the similar grafics.

I don't know about you, but I don't get that "8-bit" feeling with this game. It has this simple, colorful and blocky graphical style, but otherwise the rendering looks modern with the shading, lighting, shadows etc.

Even if the game was very nostalgic, it alone isn't enough for older players if the rest of the game is dull. Why would a RTS / C&C veteran looking for nostalgia play this over for example Red Alert 1 or Tiberian Sun that are both free and have way more diverse and interesting factions and more content? Sure it could be fun to play the game for a few hours, but having only one faction and such a limited unit arsenal will make the game feel repetitive very quickly. Since it's Petroglyph, the campaign (if there is one) is probably also just 5 missions long and has basically no story.

drive wrote:
my hope is that this game is only the foundation (The 3D engine) for other RTS games from Petroglyph, that comes with their grafic style near Red alert 1  Cool

I'm certain it uses the same Alamo engine that PG has been using for over a decade, just lightly modified. (Not that it's a bad thing, Alamo has pretty nice visuals in Grey Goo and is fairly light by modern standards)

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha why are the truck wheels square but the tank tracks curved...?

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont think the musik and the voices/SFX might be useful because they wouldnt fit to somewhere else.

Sure the game would be boring after some rounds, because of that low amount of unit types, but I think they will add other units maybe later.

Btw, what is in that game the ore/tiberium what they need to harvest to get money ?

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If modding support comes out for 8 bit armies, I could see it being a great starting platform for some really cool projects. I really dig how simple the art is, and how much potential could be done in with mods.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I did just buy this, have to wait tell I get home to play.

Is anyone interested in playing some on-line co-op or skirmish?

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

Petroglyph read this and then there were no voices.  Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well there are no unit voice's... I do not think they were any to begin with.

Well after playing with the campaign a little, I can say its very very basic... more basic then I though it would be...  Laughing

This just looks and play more like a indie game... there are some odd things about the game's functionality... units movement, shroud almost not visible... odd stuff like that.

I do not hate it... I would just like to see it have more...

lots of unit spamming... and its a little to easy to do this... credits to purchase things are plentiful.

I will say that if you click in the wizard in the bottom left corner of the main menu there is a hit of possible updates... the idea of adding "middle earth" type stuff could be kind if fun...

MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope that these missing stuff is just because they wanted to release it asap and they'll add new things in future with upgrades.

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Except for the controls feeling a tad clunky, I liked it. It's $15 so it's a bargain.

Steam

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm, It's fun, fast, very smooth, games become wars of atrition if you aren't fast enough (resources are finite) and more importantly, it's the only game where you counter Infantry with harvesters (Strong language), seriously, if there is an infantry blob, you make some distraction maneuvers and send in a harvester, the end result is always satisfying, idk if they will fix it tho.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That infantry harvester thing is a real pain in the ass, especially with the ramp access to a staring location. I have lost lots on infantry because of that.

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So just like the red alert harvesters, but with better A.I.?

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isaac_The_Madd wrote:

More like gives no fucks AI. Cause they really don't. Army on the ramp to the base? No fucks given and that son of a bitch will shove your tanks out of the way.

Steam

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
Isaac_The_Madd wrote:

More like gives no fucks AI. Cause they really don't. Army on the ramp to the base? No fucks given and that son of a bitch will shove your tanks out of the way.

Yup, and that is what happens... so many dead infantry... so now I always try to get past those choke points...

And I do not classify this as smart AI... just a unfortunate bonus to choke points... I think the AI is pretty dumb...

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They added a new faction. Guardians.

Renegades also get some new stuff:
Heavy Tank (Think Mammoth Tank)
Kamikaze Plane

Feels like the game's equivalent to Nod. It's both free along with their Campaign. From the Steam Page:

Grenade Infantry: Throws deadly AOE grenades against ground targets for maximum damage
Sniper Infantry: Long-range infantry that can stealth while not firing on ground and air units
Rocket Car: Fast scout vehicle which is also useful against air and ground forces
APC: Unarmed infantry transport that can hold up to 10 units safely
Scorch Tank: Fires a deadly cone of fire at a target. When destroyed, causes a huge fireball that damages nearby enemies
Spectre Tank: Light tank unit with stealth capability. Reveals only when attacking ground-based foes
Siege Artillery: Longer distance artillery unit with a more focused impact damage radius
Anti-Air Drone: Autonomously hurls itself against enemy air units in the vicinity, exploding on contact
Heavy Drone: Heavy-weapons aircraft with both rocket and machine-gun capability which is good in all types of situations
Satellite Uplink: Controls the Orbital Cannon super-weapon to snipe units and structures from space with multiple rounds
Cannon Turret: Great defensive structure against enemy vehicles
Scorch Turret: Very effective defense against infantry units attempting to infiltrate the player's base

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

btw did this game has a campain or a story?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I've seen the "Campaign" is basically Challenges on set missions. (Think of the Uprising Generals Challenge) The more you complete the better you can setup your loadouts for Multiplayer. And well bragging rights I guess.

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

8-Bit Armies Minimum Requirements
CPU: Info
CPU Speed: 2.6 GHz Dual Core Processor
RAM: 4 GB
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 or ATI Radeon HD 3870
Free Disk Space: 2 GB

Lol 4 gigs of ram for  2gb game.

I prefer Yuri's revenge than it.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a normal minimum requirements for RTS Games you ztype.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a game like this, 4GB is high. Grey Goo required 4GB RAM and looked far better. SC2 requires 2GB, and although it has an older base, looks just as good (if not better because of the more complex designs) on minimum specs and obviously has higher settings, and in general is a far more complex game.

Their engine is just clunky and unoptimised IMO.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Their engine is just clunky and unoptimised IMO.

To be fair, Alamo wasn't built for 8-Bit Armies, but for making games with great graphics like Gray Goo and Universe at War (at the time). It's probably much more complex and powerful than what 8-Bit Armies would need from an engine, leading to higher requirements.

Both UAW and Gray Goo ran very well for me while looking great, so I don't think the engine is generally unoptimized.

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol when petroglyph tried to make a retro game with no story then they failed.

In retro games was the grafic, and some other elements limited (for example CNC95 where too much units bring lag, so they made it so that you have to use strategy instead of unit spam.)

And retro games had a better story how anything happened.

When i see those new shooter games where is no strategy only shoot them down, and not even a story there, then sorry this isnt a game its only somthing what you buy childerns to not annoy you in the next 2 hours.

@temp

Lol 4 gigs of ram for  2gb game

Thats not even a argument, that only shows how st**** you are.

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Tried it, it doesn't require 4 gigs of ram "i tried it on my 2GB ram machine BTW my PC sucks", but steam says " it require 4 gb of ram".

No unit sounds , very simple cameos, few units & buildings.
i amn't a fan of the simple games , i like complex more.

still, Yuri's revenge is better than it.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those are recommended settings usually for playing the game without major lag/fps drops.

MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a 2GB Ram system too but it didn't work, what really matters is GPU i think, which mine was indeed not enough. I need a new computer. One i have is from 2012 and in fact an office PC not gaming.

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually subscribed to a youtube channel contains gameplay of 8-bit armies, i liked it, you know?, i am also an 8-bit artist.

temp wrote:
8-Bit Armies Minimum Requirements
CPU: Info
CPU Speed: 2.6 GHz Dual Core Processor
RAM: 4 GB
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 or ATI Radeon HD 3870
Free Disk Space: 2 GB

Lol 4 gigs of ram for  2gb game.

I prefer Yuri's revenge than it.

I have Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, my installed memory is 4.0 GHz, I should get a computer with best performance and appearance at the same time, i only have a laptop.

Last edited by PussyPus on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MustaphaTR wrote:
I have a 2GB Ram system too but it didn't work, what really matters is GPU i think, which mine was indeed not enough. I need a new computer. One i have is from 2012 and in fact an office PC not gaming.

I only recomment you to buy the PC commponents and build it yourself, then you save a lot of money. I payed 560€ and I made an nice gaming computer.

Or if you need a new grafic card just look on ebay after a GTX 670 power edition, i payed 110€ for it and it worth it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Edition/

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drive wrote:
MustaphaTR wrote:

I only recomment you to buy the PC commponents and build it yourself, then you save a lot of money. I payed 560€ and I made an nice gaming computer.

Or if you need a new grafic card just look on ebay after a GTX 670 power edition, i payed 110€ for it and it worth it.

I never had a PC Components, but some components i know like AMD 9095 CPU and it's the best CPU, GPU like one of Gigabyte GPUs, most people says that cooler master is the best PSU, my friend ghorab uses it. He owns a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxK4PPnAJFRfR9v15HDeb6w

My youtube channel url can be found at my signature, the userbar with AliensComeback word links to my channel.

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
drive wrote:
MustaphaTR wrote:

I never had a PC Components, but some components i know like AMD 9095 CPU and it's the best CPU, GPU like one of Gigabyte GPUs, most people says that cooler master is the best PSU, my friend ghorab uses it. He owns a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxK4PPnAJFRfR9v15HDeb6w

My youtube channel url can be found at my signature, the userbar with AliensComeback word links to my channel.

*cough* intel is better, but expensive.

AMD is the cheaper choice, like i did.

(I got AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Procesor)

With those components (grafic card and cpu) you can play some games like The Forest, but when you want to play games like GTA5 or Assasins Creed Syndicate, you can forget it  Rolling Eyes .

Only if you overclock it. But never overclock  Laughing

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drive wrote:

Indeed, Most of the hardcore gamers use a combination of Intel Core i7 and Nvidia Geforce GTX.

I have intel Celeron D "Very good" with 3 gigs of ram ("while the only working is 2 Gigs, because the second memory slot is damaged.")

Does anyone have an idea to fix the Ram slot?

btw, I just upgraded my screen to be 1680 x 1050.
ironically, we upgrade our screen once a year and we upgrade the hardware every 3 or 4 years.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

temp wrote:
drive wrote:

Indeed, Most of the hardcore gamers use a combination of Intel Core i7 and Nvidia Geforce GTX.

I have intel Celeron D "Very good" with 3 gigs of ram ("while the only working is 2 Gigs, because the second memory slot is damaged.")

Does anyone have an idea to fix the Ram slot?

btw, I just upgraded my screen to be 1680 x 1050.
ironically, we upgrade our screen once a year and we upgrade the hardware every 3 or 4 years.

AMD FX 9590 was my opinion is the best because it can save even more files than other CPUs, for up to 8 local disks.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Both UAW and Gray Goo ran very well for me while looking great, so I don't think the engine is generally unoptimized.
I think for the graphics they showed their requirements were very high. They didn't look particularly spectacular, even though I did like the visuals of Grey Goo a lot. The recommended spec for that was 8GB RAM, which is pretty absurd for such a game with not a lot of stuff going on at once.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [43 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum