Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Voxel Making for Cameos? help needed!
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MI6007198920162000
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:  Voxel Making for Cameos? help needed! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question?
how can i attach the voxel's body to the turret?
i wanted to make a cameo

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VXLSE -> Add a new Section -> Add Turret to Body -> Save as new Voxel

MI6007198920162000
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles wrote:

how can i add the turret to the body?

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MI6007198920162000 wrote:
Atomic_Noodles wrote:

how can i add the turret to the body?

Like this: (Voxel by Moder.U, I am a cameo artist too.)
1. Open the body and the turret of the voxel.
2. Screenshot them but make the turret's position fits the body voxel.
3. The image would or will be non-transparency, try to cut the background of both voxels.
4. copy & paste the voxel to any background you want (I make the background cameos for myself instead of using images from the internet, mostly).
5. resize the background (if it's big) to 60x48.
6. in SHP builder, try importing the 60x48 image from PNG to SHP by import images > SHP.
7. OPTIONAL: You can generate cameos using cameo generator instead of importing (I am using this option).
8. Now your cameo is ready!

golsicon.png
 Description:
After resizing it, I name this voxel as "Golsavia Railgun Tank".
 Filesize:  6.52 KB
 Viewed:  2092 Time(s)

golsicon.png

845345.jpg
 Description:
After adding the voxel image to Background, With my own touching up style.
 Filesize:  549.63 KB

845345.jpg

2016-08-03 08-26-01-957.png
 Description:
After cutting the Background of VXLSEIII.
 Filesize:  37.12 KB

2016-08-03 08-26-01-957.png

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is too dark to be a good cameo. At least the unit is not distinguishable...

Making it brighter would help, but don't go crazy on it.

The point of the cameo is not to make it look epic. The point is to make it display the unit as best as possible.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Being as most cameos only resemble the units they represent, I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy either, just that it's clearly identifiable and unique enough to see at a quick glance.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Being as most cameos only resemble the units they represent, I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy either, just that it's clearly identifiable and unique enough to see at a quick glance.

This is why it's my own style of cameos.. In the old times some modders said "be creative", and here, i am creative.

I hope the tutorial be helpful.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is a difference between
your own style
and
you can't see anything on the image

If all your cameos are in this style, the player has no chance to find the unit he wants.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
there is a difference between
your own style
and
you can't see anything on the image

If all your cameos are in this style, the player has no chance to find the unit he wants.

It depents only on voxel image editing, not the background.

golsicon.png
 Description:
Never noticed this, It looks like MO style.
 Filesize:  5.4 KB
 Viewed:  2049 Time(s)

golsicon.png

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:

6. in SHP builder, try importing the 60x48 image from PNG to SHP by import images > SHP.

Then Lose The Detail, Colors Dan Dan Daaan.

Use PCX with 265 colors, so it can be more unique and colorful.

+

your dark cameo looks like some sort of light bulb and is 100% distinguishable.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LKO is right, these cameos are terrible, you can't see anything, and you shouldn't be trying to advise people to copy you.

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
It depents only on voxel image editing, not the background.

Laughing
But seriosly, the background has a lot to do with the cameo.

[Example]

Place a (mostly) green unit on a grass image without sky. Will the unit be visible more than on your image?

[/Example]

It is the same with text and background for presentations for projects. Bright text on dark background or the other way around. Dark on dark can be used rarely and in case you can outline the text, so that it can be visible.

I tought that everyone studies that in school. At least I did.

PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll start with the positives.
PussyPus, you seem to have some of the general ideas of voxel cameos down. Unit posing and  camera positioning notably.

But your choice of lighting and background colors is terrible. You want the unit to stand out from the background without it looking like it was super-imposed. High contrast between the unit and the background, preferably with a light source that strongly brightens/shades one or more of the visible facings of the unit. Ideally you want to emphasize details like the faceted turret on the Light Tank below, or the extensive side-skirts on the Artillery.

These aren't my best work, nor are they of any particularly high quality, but I think they adequately demonstrate these concepts. (except for the light tank's barrel being unlit)

Also, adding muzzle flashes and bright lights is generally unnecessary. The end-user knows what a cannon does, they know what a headlight does. Maybe if it's an energy weapon like a laser, you can throw in a firing effect, but try to avoid doing that when possible. It rarely looks good.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
LKO is right, these cameos are terrible, you can't see anything, and you shouldn't be trying to advise people to copy you.

I don't care about its distinguish, I only care about its uniqueness style & not to be ripped off by someone.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then you're missing the entire point of what cameos are.

The cameo is there to inform the user. So when he's looking down that sidebar, he can find exactly what he wants to build quickly. Ideally, a cameo should be informative enough that you could remove the text and still get a general idea of what it is. Tank. Artillery. AA Gun. Harvester. Scout. APC. So on, so forth.

Nobody is going to rip off your style because the style runs completely contrary to what a cameo is supposed to be...

Last edited by EVA-251 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
I don't care about its distinguish, I only care about its uniqueness style & not to be ripped off by someone.
Then it's up to you. You have proud of your own work! I thought refusing suggestion doesn't exist. :3

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deathreaperz wrote:
PussyPus wrote:
Then it's up to you. You have proud of your own work! I thought refusing suggestion doesn't exist. :3

I work on cameos, not mod, But i may submit my own style to very few mods, deathreaperz, your mod should be the popular next to mental omega, So i may want to submit updated cameos even better than your own, accept whenever you want.

I am beginning to understand the auto key for animating the geometries, What it makes can't show 3d models is i cannot find a proper textures, Someone have helped & recommended me to visit textures.com, i never heard about it before, but i browsed some and they look good for that.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Textures are not going to help your cameos, any features will be 2-3 pixels and that's far too little information. what you need is contrast and a good colourscheme, neither of which you seem to want.

MI6007198920162000
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What Software do you even use to edit cameos?

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To edit and create a good cameo, it is best to use Photoshop or Gimp.
There you make the image editions and all the fancy stuff. After that you resize it to 60x48 pixels and save it. PCX is good, if you use ARES. SHP builder makes images into SHP cameos  which have less colours.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW to answer the original question, the Vxl Viewer automatically loads the turret of a unit when the body is loaded. It has options for position & rotation too, so you can easily set up the unit for a cameo image.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MI6007198920162000 wrote:
What Software do you even use to edit cameos?

Use GIMP (easy to get) or Adobe's Photoshop CS*, I don't have them so i am using Painttool SAI.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon