Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Can we add a MuzzleFlash finder tool?
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:  Can we add a MuzzleFlash finder tool? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This should be fairly simple to do, one of two ways...

The least involved way would be a tool you can select like a dropper, but instead of doing any painting, it would indicate coordinates x,y in a tiny rectangle above or below the cursor, which we would record manually.

The better way for modders would be a new popup window, where you can select multiple points on the image, then hit a "calculate" button to convert those to numerical values that can be straight copied & pasted from a text box beside the image.

This would speed up adding new buildings, AND as a bonus would make fixing WW's mistakes superfast, since I'm discovering a whole lot of buildings have errant flash locations.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good idea,
though surely faster and easier added to stucuk's SHP project, than in SHP Builders chaos code.

The more i think about it, it's also more work than expected.
a) you need a textbox in which you can set the camera angle (30° TS/RA2, 40° TD/RA1, arbitrary for custom OpenRA projects)

b) you need a textbox for the tilewidth. FLH's are measured in leptons with IIRC 256 leptons being a tile width.
Since tilewidth is different for each game, you need a way to enter 48 for TS and 60 for RA2. Other values for OpenRA projects using even bigger tile sizes.

A dropper also doesn't work well, since you can hardly find a 3D point using a dropper on a 2D space.
Better would be a textbox in which the FLH values can be entered and a visible dot is moving on the image to preview the current location.

c) you need multiple tools to find the values for the various offset keys
-PrimaryFirePixelOffset, which is pretty simple and just a pixel based offset from the images center
-FireFLH which is the 3d leptons offset
-DamageSmokeOffset might be another one. No clue how that is calculated

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The OpenRA lepton equvivalent - world units - are 1/1024th of a cell not 1/256th.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^oh, and another input textbox

I also just noticed, you need a way to define the facing of the unit.
The preview FLH for the unit facing south is different than the preview for the unit facing west.

Thus the tool needs almost the entire art.ini section to know where the frames start and how many frames are there for each loop.
So for units the tool has to know
-StartStandFrame
-StandingFrames
and for infantry
-at least the Guard frames of the sequence

In the end it might be just easier to go ingame and find the value by trial and error.
F L H
Nowadays i can usually find the right FLH in about 3-5 ingame tests, so not that time consuming considering each test takes about 10 seconds with the Client.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LKO: I was specifically talking about the garrisoned building flashes, not units with multiple facings... since as you say that gets complicated. This is entirely a pixel position number, no leptons or math required.

DamageSmoke is funny, because it's a 3 axis grid, moving the X more up-lft and the Y up-right sets the base position, then you have the Z which is straight up or down from there, and why you see such large numbers.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My method for finding the garrisoned firing positions (or any other pixel based measurement) is to open the building in Photoshop & create a selection box from the center of the image to the point I want. Then copy the selection & create a new file, the dimensions of the new image will give me the position I am after.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great but I can guesstimate just as fast, the point is to automate the discovery somewhat, and make fixing numbers of existing buildings quick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum