Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Solid Building
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:  Solid Building Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ares Documentation:
Quote:
Units are aware of Solid Buildings, and they will try to find a better firing position when attacking a target and an obstacle is in the way

But sometimes they failed to do so, still hit the obstacle after they repositioned
They should reposition a little bit more...

GIF2.gif
 Description:
Not endugh awareness
 Filesize:  1.8 MB
 Viewed:  2592 Time(s)

GIF2.gif

Last edited by cxtian39 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The logic seems to be for a 3x3 building let's say, projectiles will only be blocked in the 3 cells across the building, if the enemy unit is just off to the side of that, like the opposing corner of the same side, it will shoot. Walls seem to have a special opacity however, still limited by explicit height though.

A unit's FLH will also affect whether it can shoot units over the crest of a 1-high ramp, or a wall, and even shoot buildings over other obstacles if tall enough. There's quite a bit of targeting logic in the game. So tall units can come in handy tactically.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tested with other projectiles. Only Inviso=yes projectile works correctly. I think it's because other projectiles are unpredictable. Though the unit is aware of the obstacle, it never knows the trajectory of its missile or arcing cannon, hence it doesn't know if it will hit the obstacle or not.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To find a proper firing position, the estimated trajectory has to be exactly like the actual trajectory the bullet will take. I can't recreate the computations, and you wouldn't have much fun with the game if I'd recode it anyhow.

So there always will be a small uncertainty, and it has actually been like that for years. Sometimes, units shoot at cliffs or slopes, not hitting the unit.

There's no "feedback loop", which might be a good approach to solve this (so a bullet detonating prematurely would tell the unit to move a bit), but I don't think this will happen.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:

There's no "feedback loop", which might be a good approach to solve this (so a bullet detonating prematurely would tell the unit to move a bit), but I don't think this will happen.

How about making projectiles unblockable, i.e. no collision size, pass through obstacles (buildings, cliffs, etc

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
AlexB wrote:

How about making projectiles unblockable, i.e. no collision size, pass through obstacles (buildings, cliffs, etc

If you're talking about disabling Solid Buildings logic for individual weapons, then:
Code:
SubjectToBuildings=no

This will make the game treat the projectile like it did in the vanilla game. No obstruction for this one.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But then the unit won't find a better position to fire.....

I wonder whether can make unit awareness a separate logic..

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're right. It won't move before firing. However, it'll be able to hit the target same as when fired from a different position.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking a scenario that the buildings don't have actual solid height, but the units think they have. Then the units will find a position good enough to fire, and the projectile won't be blocked due to inaccurate prediction.
When a player/observer sees the unit tries to avoid shooting at the obstacle, then he will assume that the obstacle has solid height, even though it can't block projectiles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon