:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Do you want to advertise at Project Perfect Mod. Find out how to do it HERE.

The time now is Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:38 am
All times are UTC + 0
 Forum index » Miscellaneous Forums » Offtopic Discussion Area
How about a MOVIE review thread of sorts?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:  How about a MOVIE review thread of sorts?
Subject description: (I watch a lot of movies instead of tv)

I'm going to do recent movies, there's no sense arguing about classics... or things we've seen 17 times as reruns.

DO NOT WATCH LIST:
IO
Tau
Revenge
Wildling
Parts Per Billion
King of Theives
Bad Times At The El Royale
Patient Zero
Alpha
Ocean's 8
The Titan
Wraith
Scorched Earth
Crazy Lake
Wasteland
A Private War
Robinhood
Holiday
The Isle

WATCH IF BORED OR MASOCHISTIC:
Mortal Engines
The Meg
Black Panther
Replicas
The Last Jedi
Tomb Raider
Thoroughbreds
Halloween
First Man
Bandersnatch
Venom
Peppermint
The Predator
Bent
The Mummy
How It Ends
A Quiet Place
Rampage
Death Wish
Stephanie
Pacific Rim 2
Overlord
Get the Girl

WORTH WATCHING LIST:
The Babysitter
Annihilation
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Solo: A  Star Wars Story
A Simple Favour
Hoaxed
Deadpool 2
Once Upon A Deadpool
Ant-man And The Wasp
Mile 22
The Equalizer 2
A Leaf Of Faith
Upgrade
Spinning Man
Ready Player One
Terminal
Batman Ninja
How To Talk To Girls At Parties
Red Sparrow
The Commuter
Caught
The Cloverfield Paradox
Spiderman: Into The Spider-verse
Avengers: Infinity War
Project Gutenberg
Ashes in the Snow
Aquaman
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Last edited by G-E on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:27 am; edited 2 times in total

TAK02
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the Bumblebee or Dark Knight movies (that last one only for the Joker) on that list.
Do you even do movies? #Tongue

Then there're the War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron movies.

And lastly, if you love good music and atmpsphere and/or proper fan contribution, there're the Bionicle movies: Mask of Light, Legends of Metru Nui, Web of Shadows, Island of Doom (aka Ignition 1), and Ignition 2.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account
PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a new transformers movie.

TAK02
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PussyPus wrote:

There's the Bumblebee movie (which I haven't watched yet) and the War for Cybertron movie and Fall of Cyberton movie.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account
PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAK02 wrote:
PussyPus wrote:

There's the Bumblebee movie (which I haven't watched yet) and the War for Cybertron movie and Fall of Cyberton movie.

No, i meant a remaster on transformers prime as a movie, it's my favorite series, sadly it ended in 2015.

Houseplant
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How about a MOVIE review thread of sorts? Reply with quote

Quote:
The Last Jedi
It was so bad.

Quote:
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Good.

Quote:
Ready Player One
Disappointing. Very boring.

Quote:
Avengers: Infinity War
Good.

Quote:
The Predator
It had good moments but it failed as a Predator movie.

Bumblebee was a good movie.

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen most of those, but would say I thought:
Tau was very good
Black Panther was excellent
The Cloverfield Paradox was only so-so
Solo was absolute garbage, The Last Jedi was a much more watchable movie

And a few others:
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Excellent, and very thought-provoking
The Circle - Mostly good, but disappointing end
High-Rise - Pretty good, but got lost in some bad reviews that seemed to miss the point
Passengers - Just awful

G-E
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think movies like Passengers and High-rise are very polarizing, they are decent, but kind of a slow-roll and not everyone likes that kind of thng.

My list was mainly my average impression of entertainment value, that's why I have the "watch if bored" category, good enough to sit through, but not good enough to get excited about.

I actually thought Venom was better than Black Panther, purely because it was far less predictable, had more humour in it, and didn't try to pretend it was an epic. The dialogue in BP was torture, the plot was nonsensical, and it more or less destroyed all the narratives about diversity and equality, since they were effectively a selfish isolationist ethno-state that engaged in global espionage. Besides which the characters all were assholes except the mountain gorilla guy, he was actually honorable. Several times in the movie it felt like I was watching a sci-fi version of Juice.

Houseplant
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sicario (2015), directed by Denis Villeneuve who is working on the upcoming Dune movie for Legendary.

A well acted and well made action thriller that is very much a character drama and not a standard action movie. 8/10.

G-E
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only posting 2018+ movies, I think going back farther stops being of use to most people.

Though if everyone wants to contribute their list of best/worst recent movies, that could help?

Houseplant
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-E wrote:
I was only posting 2018+ movies, I think going back farther stops being of use to most people.

Though if everyone wants to contribute their list of best/worst recent movies, that could help?

As far as your review of The Meg, I think it's more like a late 90's nostalgia type of movie. Feels like it was made at that time. Masochistic, no.

Houseplant
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumblebee: 8/10

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why people enjoy the recent DC/Marvel superhero movies. They're obviously done on pure milking purposes. They're all the same, shallow and full of clichés and political correctness.

A recent good movie that comes to mind is Blade Runner 2049. It had a good cast, great visuals, and most importantly, the plot kept me interested all the way.

G-E
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimsonum wrote:
I don't get why people enjoy the recent DC/Marvel superhero movies. They're obviously done on pure milking purposes.

While true to some extent, the same can be said about most sequels/prequels in any genre including action.

Crimsonum wrote:
They're all the same, shallow and full of clichés and political correctness.

Most "blockbusters" are formulaic, because people are still moved by the same humanistic challenges, even if acted out by aliens or robots. As for PC, they really didn't used to be, it used to be like a joke inserted into a movie, only in the past 4-5yrs (outside of rom-coms) has it infected the actual storyline.
Crimsonum wrote:
A recent good movie that comes to mind is Blade Runner 2049. It had a good cast, great visuals, and most importantly, the plot kept me interested all the way.

Indeed that was a good flim, but like the latest Predators movies, it had many copied elements from earlier ones, pulling off such distinctiveness achieved mainly with side plots and a different point of view, was a big feat. It also leaves the door open to another sequel...

Star Wars Ep7 was better than it would have been purely because it hit all the nostalgic notes, like Bladerunner taking elements almost directly from older movies. Without those elements it would not nearly have been as interesting or entertaining to the fanbase, and maybe not even to new audiences.

I think there's another factor at play too, movies without supernatural or alien characters have to rely on predictable or known human dramas, like power struggle, sexual desire, betrayal etc. It's just as easy to make such dramas formulaic and mundane, failing to make a story about a fairly oridinary life seem enthralling. The non-human characters create believable discontinuity and genuine unpredictability, which means you don't need complicated twisting plots to keep people wanting to see more, yet it doesn't feel less complex either by doing so.

G-E
General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more good movie surprises: Glass, and The Head Hunter.

Glass wasn't so much a great movie, which I guess is inline with Unbreakable and Split, but it had several interesting twists, including the very end where the somewhat altruistic plan of the villain is revealed.

The Head Hunter reminded me a lot of the 13th Warrior and the Evil Dead films, it isn't a comedy, but it isn't too serious either. It really works because of how simplistic it is, with many scenes of stillness or suspense, seeing virtually none of the violence implied.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, Terry Gilliams latest work. I definitely recommend it.

For those who don't know, Gilliam first tried to make a movie based on the Don Quixote story back in the early 90s but the movie was devastated during production, never making it to completion, and a documentary based on the disaster was released called Lost in La Mancha, which too is worth a watch. Now, he's finally done it, however it's not exactly the same film - instead it's developed into something that incorporates his film making struggles.

It follows a cocky young director making a feature film of Don Quixote based on a short film he'd made prior, but the production isn't meeting his expectations. Trying to rediscover the creative magic, he goes back to the local village where he shot the short and ends up meeting people who were in it, and sees how the village has changed. He finds the actor who played Don Quixote is still playing the character now, seemingly insane, and who then drags the director into a surreal journey that ultmately becomes a celebration of imagination in cinema.

As a fan of Gilliam's I'm so glad he made it, but it also feels quite sad as it seems almost like a parting gift to the art form. His entire career has been defined by struggling to get his imagination through the hollywood machine, and The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is almost like a summation of that, and by the end he passes on the torch to the next generation of film makers.

Houseplant
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've seen Avengers: Endgame. It was a bit slow in the beginning but it eventually caught on. This is a must see movie in the MCU.

G-E
General

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houseplant wrote:
So I've seen Avengers: Endgame. It was a bit slow in the beginning but it eventually caught on. This is a must see movie in the MCU.

I saw monday, I concur. It wasn't a great plot, but nothing terribly objectionable except perhaps Capt Amrika wielding Mjolnir, and fat Thor being almost useless at the final showdown, at least compared to his performance in Ragnarok. All in all, entertaining, not deep, not terribly complex, but well put together. I'm glad they minimized Capt Marvel, the way she sliced through Thanos' ship, she would have negated half of the fighting.

I also saw Cold Pursuit yesterday, a recent Liam Neeson movie, which was surprisingly good. It has a windy plot like something you'd get in a Guy Richie or Tarantino film, but slow and subtle. Only one scene bothered me, in the beginning of the adventure, Liam finds out his son died, and initially he shows no reaction, then suddenly he's drunk and suicidal. The combination of those back to back just seemed wrong. I had no complaints about the rest of the movie, it had a lot of interesting characters, entirely believable acting, short over-acting bits, and some unexpected humour.

Oh and I watched Escape Room over the weekend sometime, which I would say missed the mark for me. It was designed to be like a cross between The Cube and Saw, but PG. Some of the rooms were clever and there were some interesting scenes, but the more it dragged out, the more unbelievable stuff happened, until it turned into jumpscare/gotcha plot. It started out good enough to watch, but turned into a giant mehhhh...

Houseplant
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about old movies that are on Netflix? Could these movies be given the review approval?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Miscellaneous Forums » Offtopic Discussion Area
Jump to:  
Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon