Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 am
All times are UTC + 0
ZShape help plz
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:  ZShape help plz Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So as you can tell I'm working with a big building, it stays within the confines of the 6x4 foundation, although the right edge gets close, but I just can't seem to figure out the right ZShape fix for it...

Besides what are shown I've randomly tried what I understand to be the method to follow, but using larger numbers sometimes makes it worse, and I'm just thoroughly confused now.

Please Halp :\

gridlife.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.36 KB
 Viewed:  2137 Time(s)

gridlife.jpg

zshape.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  501 KB
 Viewed:  2137 Time(s)

zshape.jpg

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never used that key. Always only NormalZAdjust.

For a building like this i would use BibShape= with the same image as the building (since BibShape renders quite reliable the bottom part) and NormalZAdjust-25

IIRC a different SHP compression can help as well on such big/high buildings.

Since ZShapePointMove has X,Y as pixel offset values, i wouldn't move X at all and only try values like 0,-50 or 0,50

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm not sure, but this dont is a problem of the foundation in art?
looks like this have foundation deafult (1x1)

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I never used that key. Always only NormalZAdjust.

NormalZAdjust does nothing for the building, as I have it at least, I tried -90 to no effect, shows the same as "none" above.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
For a building like this i would use BibShape= with the same image as the building (since BibShape renders quite reliable the bottom part) and NormalZAdjust-25

I had to do this bib trick long ago on my old Soviet Airbase, but never a solid building or one this large...

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
IIRC a different SHP compression can help as well on such big/high buildings.

Sooo which compression would you recommend? Obviously my art.ini settings do have an effect.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Since ZShapePointMove has X,Y as pixel offset values, i wouldn't move X at all and only try values like 0,-50 or 0,50

I tried numbers along those lines despite disagreeing with my understanding, and it is worse than none.

HG: Foundation outline shows correctly, even the height is correct, as is occupyheight.

scuruce.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  472.14 KB
 Viewed:  2096 Time(s)

scuruce.jpg

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might I suggest giving your building a larger ZOverlay than the default? It may alleviate your issue since the default isn't meant for such large buildings; Be prepared for hard work though. It's most likely still possible with NormalZAdjust like LKO said, so play around with the numbers; Be drastic, anywhere from -250 to -10 and see where it gets you.

Example tag:
Art(md).ini :: [BuildingType] ► SpecialZOverlay=buildingzcustom.sha

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what would I need to do exactly, add more at the top of the default ZOverlay?

And what exactly is the hard work?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To fix this problem save the shp with compression type 1 (IIRC it's been awhile, if not then try 3). You can change the compression type in SHP Builder's Preference settings. Doing this can causes overlapping glitches tho with objects being rendered on top or under the building incorrectly. Ares fixed this glitch but you're using RA2 so this method might not be suitable.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like sectioning the building to make it about 50px shorter with my ZShape tweak would be enough.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how about simply cutting off the upper half and putting it in a 1 frame activeanim?

[HighBuilding]
Image=bottomhalf
ActiveAnim=upperhalf
ActiveAnimDamaged=upperhalfdamaged

[upperhalf]
Start=0
End=1
Rate=0

[upperhalfdamaged]
Image=upperhalf
Start=1
End=2
Rate=0

Then you are free to adjust the upperhalf via ZAdjust and the lower half works fine since it isn't that huge anymore.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How would this affect height and clipping?

I'm just about to make a bibshape for it, which seems more logical as the engine wouldn't have to use low compression or constantly refresh the animation....

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bib seems to solve two problems at once...  after some experimenting Smile

I have the full building shadow replicated in the bib art, and therefore the choppy shadow problem for large buildings goes away! I did a bunch of scroll tests and was not able to cause the straking at all!

I tested having the shadow entirely in the bib, but it seems to get cut off entirely straight (at around 1/3) without the straking you normally see. I wasn't sure the effect of overlapping shadows would be, but it appears to be a backup for the shadow glitch, so that regardless which one glitches, the other probably doesn't, or glitches differently.

bibsh.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  364.53 KB
 Viewed:  2005 Time(s)

bibsh.jpg

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
So what would I need to do exactly, add more at the top of the default ZOverlay?

And what exactly is the hard work?

You would have to make the ZOverlay at least scaled to the size of your largest building, the hard work part being that you'd have to make sure every line is scaled properly too and not using a mix of colors. So you'd have to move/copy or add pixels with every line manually.

A lot of unnecessary work if you've got a workaround like the bibshape you're using. Even better if it fixed the shadows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon