Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Yuri's Revenge: Before Alcatraz
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [121 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Turbulence submarines have a weapon on their roof, so to say; it's not a psychic effect, it's an actual weapon. Underwater pyrokinetics would be funny though. #Tongue

Yes, but the Dolphin's sonic weapon was specially created to pull the Giant Squids loose from boats. If I remember correctly, any other weapon both damages the Giant Squid and the boat - which isn't a problem in my eyes, actually. But that reduces the Giant Squid to a slow-working suicide-esque unit that, to me, is awkward to use. Some say that the Dolphin is overpowered, but personally, it always felt rather useless. Though the scout idea isn't a bad one, actually.

But who knows, we'll see upon release how the tentative balance works out (it will inevitably have a ton of problems #Tongue), so they might very well be added anew. Smile

nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today I handed in my thesis, so today you get a small update. I gave the Stingray a voice (bet you can't guess which one that is):

And I gave Hurria the Nada. Which is an interesting name, if mostly because we use the Latin alphabet; what might be different characters in Arabic, get transliterated to the same characters in Latin. Therefore, 'Nada' has a host of meanings, from 'goodness' or 'blessed' to 'droplet' or 'dew' (and it's also a form of the verb 'to call' - as in calling for prayer, I think, but I am not sure - or 'to cry out', and there's undoubtedly more; Arabic has an extremely extensive vocabulary).

The whole combination of religion-related terms and water-related terms is fitting for a Hurrian ship, though. Which is what the Nada is; Hurria's basic naval unit, a ship armed with torpedoes (weaker than the Typhoon's) and a gatling cannon (approximately the same as the Gatling Quad's stage two anti-air gatling cannon). That means that Hurria gets no dedicated anti-air naval unit. It also conveniently gives every faction a reasonable way to fight submarines, and vaguely sidesteps the overused 'anti-air gatling ship' (not that adding torpedoes is a world-shattering improvement, but hey #Tongue).

I arrived at the idea from the theme song (I suppose?) of Civilization IV: Warlords; alnadda. #Tongue

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

'Nada' doesn't exist in Arabic. Try Nida' instead (mind the apostrophe). When translated, it really is 'call'.
Grammar-wise, you used the past form of to call (nida' -> nada).
Thought you ought to know #Tongue

By the way, do you know Arabic? If not, I could help with the name translations (I'm not sure if all Huria's units are free of grammar-mistakes that Google likes to put in. And Yes, Huria with ONE r)

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And yes, that is an image; this board apparently doesn't support the Arabic script. #Tongue

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welp! I've outlived my usefullness! (Unless ya want me to join the party!)

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Welp! I've outlived my usefullness! (Unless ya want me to join the party!)

Psh, you undoubtedly know far more Arabic than I do! Tell me everything! #Tongue

I wasn't saying you're wrong or anything, just what I know and what I could find online. Smile

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well then, looks like we'll be working together for a while, partner!

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha, Most of arabs don't use these words any more...

p.s: I am arabian.

nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

temp wrote:

That's alright. Smile

Where do you live, if I may ask, and what would they / you use, then (that also goes to TAK02, of course Smile )?

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Egypt.
Mabloul ,OR Rateb ("Wet")

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nlspeed wrote:
temp wrote:

That's alright. Smile

Where do you live, if I may ask, and what would they / you use, then (that also goes to TAK02, of course Smile )?

Who, litle ol' me? Read the description! I'm out of this world! Okay, maybe not, but let's just say I used to go to Damaskus, Syria for the Summer holidays up until a year or more before the revolt-turned-Civil-War started.
I speak both the Syrian dialect, and know the 'high-Arabic', the Arabic people used long ago (albeit with some difficulty).

Umm, I don't know which word you want to use for what, could you repeat it? I got lost in the post...  Embarassed

nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did a thing: https://www.moddb.com/mods/yuris-revenge-before-alcatraz/articles / https://www.moddb.com/mods/yuris-revenge-before-alcatraz/images

The mod is basically ready for a first release, except for the first thirteen points:

- Grand Cannon is above Prism Tower in sidebar: https://i.imgur.com/ZmjQksm.jpg
- Soviet MCV is grey, not brown (but the filenames are correct and it is in XCC Mixer...?)
- Soviets currently have no way to heal infantry
- Check Repair Crane: https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=578702#578702
- Fix Confederate supply crates: https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=578455#578455 (didn't work)
- Foundation of Arsenal of Democracy - needs one row more at the back
- Rework Black Eagle
- Make Surge's speed boost weapon work
- Add main menu loading screen
- Add Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Venezuela loading screen pictures
- Modify Great Britain loading screen picture
- Add Harrier anti-air capabilities
- Modify AI: Add Yugoslavia and Saudi Arabia
--- Release ---
- Modify AI: European Union and Allied Nations (and Pakistan?) use aircraft oddly
- Modify AI: European Union and Allied Nations do not use Chronosphere
- Modify AI: Pridwen, Riptide, Kite, Guardian Medium Tank, IFV, Guise (don't use AI-only versions of these units with initial passengers, make the AI load units inside)
- Modify AI: Nighthawk, Flak Track, Flak Tank (make us of transport functionality)
- Add 'take vehicle' script for Engineers to hijack neutral vehicles ( / update Ares) https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=578930#578930
- European sidebar uses Soviet layout (inherent 'feature' of Ares, needs a completely new sidebar)
- Improve Airbase buildup
- Improve Landing Strip buildup
- Add navy
- Rework Tech Secret Lab
- Add stolen tech
- Noosphere Tether should get an occupy animation
- Brainchamber should get an occupy animation (but this is currently impossible)
- European Chronosphere and Weather Control Device appear to be too blue
- Fix FLHS
- Exclude / change appropriate unit in gamemodes
- Add unique sounds for:
;EVENT HORIZON HOVER SOUND (currently uses Cryo Copter)
;KITE CRASHING SOUND
;EVENT HORIZON CRASHING SOUND
;CHERUB CRASHING SOUND
;CHERUB MOVEMENT LOOP
;METEOR CRASHING SOUND

I haven't been working much at all on it, and this Monday I'll go on a holiday, but hey, over the months and years I have finished all sides and countries (each country has two unique units that each replace a unit) and other things, except for the above. Navy is a big one that is missing.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, well! Looks who's still alive and well Smile

RIAKTOR
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This mod better than Mental Omega!

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIAKTOR wrote:

Be more elaborate.
YR:BF is better than MO how?

RIAKTOR
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
RIAKTOR wrote:

Be more elaborate.
Better in all aspects. Better grafical design, better sides, better units, better mechanics. The best is slave miners!

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIAKTOR wrote:
TAK02 wrote:
RIAKTOR wrote:

Be more elaborate.
Better in all aspects. Better grafical design, better sides, better units, better mechanics. The best is slave miners!

Again, be more precise.
Also, while I kind of hate how MO ditched the Slave mechanic, you kind of have to admit it's kinda broken: a single sniper can lay waste to all of Yuri's mining operations.

Still, it would've been nice to give players the option of either going classic miners or with the slaves for all sides; it's not like MO isn't hoarding all the 3D modellers here #Tongue

RIAKTOR
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
RIAKTOR wrote:
TAK02 wrote:
RIAKTOR wrote:

Be more elaborate.

Again, be more precise.
Also, while I kind of hate how MO ditched the Slave mechanic, you kind of have to admit it's kinda broken: a single sniper can lay waste to all of Yuri's mining operations.

Still, it would've been nice to give players the option of either going classic miners or with the slaves for all sides; it's not like MO isn't hoarding all the 3D modellers here #Tongue
Mental omega 3 has ugly grafical design. Especially this grotesque big vehicles, bigger than buildings! In all good mods vehicle size must be compatiable to vanilla. If you want realism - not make vehicles bigger, make infantry smaller, because you can smaller infantry, but cannot make buildings bigger. A lot of units and buildings will be ugly even with normal size. Good vanilla models reworked into bad new models. Foehn is stupidly grotesque designed like in bad MMORPG. Only small amount of infantries and buildings has possible normal visual. Also all this grotesque different colored plasma cirles and another geometric forms like in bad blokbuster. Is normal explosions so boring?!  

Sides in omega mod is irrational. Yuri army reworked into aliens, grotesque fantasmagoric aliens! In vanilla his side is really Psi-Corps, scientific labs, phisically weak, but with innovational weapons. They look like rebels from sovietish utopia-builder's prison who grab prototypes and start partisan war. They all was great. But omega mod add plenty of useless units with small differences. And kill really interesting uniques for symmetry. Probably, some features will work in campaign. But I not play because hate this visual. In Before Alcatraz sides was improved more carefully than in omega.

Slave miner isn't broken, slaves is so killable for balance, for needs more micromanagement. But simple-minded modmakers cannot understand this.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIAKTOR wrote:
make infantry smaller

No. It's bad enough we have problems at large resolutions, I'd rather not have smaller, hard to see infantry as another one.

RIAKTOR wrote:
Slave miner isn't broken, slaves is so killable for balance, for needs more micromanagement. But simple-minded modmakers cannot understand this.

Wow...

RIAKTOR
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
RIAKTOR wrote:
make infantry smaller

No. It's bad enough we have problems at large resolutions, I'd rather not have smaller, hard to see infantry as another one.

RIAKTOR wrote:

Wow...
Just use smaller resolutions. Grotesque big units is way of blizzard.

Yes, Westwood was brighter than a lot of modmakers.

Vodrix
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [121 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon