Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm
All times are UTC + 0
XWIS: "Wrong resolution? I kill you!"
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:  XWIS: "Wrong resolution? I kill you!"
Subject description: Believe it or not, XWIS actually cares about the resolution
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Long story short: I primarily use XWIS' multiplayer/skirmish-only components (or the RA2YR version that doesn't include campaign maps and movies) because it's faster (start-up loading only) and actually runs on that blasted Win10. (skip to the last paragraph for the actual problem)

But I ran into a problem a while ago while making Supremacy: Whenever I play on 640x480x16, the campaigns load up just fine.
However, once I change the resolution to 1072x576x16, the game "encounters a critical error and needs to close. We apologize for the inconvenience. Do you wish to send an error report to MicroBrains' SlaveHouse?" (LULZ!)

I theorized it was because proper loading screens were missing. However, extracting load.mix from the RA2 I have from way back and actually chking the one in XWIS' ra2.mix, proved that to be false. XWIS will always crash on 1072x576.
A quick swap of EXEs proved it.(XWIS crashes on higher res, old EXE works at high res)

Does anyone know why XWIS always crashes on mission loading-screens when playing at resolutions higher than 640x480?
It's kinda annoying to test and debug maps on low resolutions. Especially when I'm still using my HP Mini right now.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well for one that resolution is wrong and there's no loadscreen for that size, so janky stretching is involved that it isn't programmed for, infact I'm willing to bet it doesn't stretch unless it's over 1024x768. Try 800x600

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's the thing: I can't set the screen to 800x600 (not even manually with NotePad). On my HP Mini only 640x480 and 1024x576 are allowed.
On my Win10 (which I don't have atm) all resolutions are allowed. However, XWIS doens't care. It still crashes if res is higher than 640.

And one more thing: It isn't a load-screen problem, but an EXE problem.
The 1.0003 RA2.exe and GAME.exe I still have can stretch the screen just fine. Even when placed into XWIS's folder.
The patched/special ones XWIS gives, however, crashes when it's not 640x480.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try asking on the XWIS support forums here.

Plokite_Wolf
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just note that Olaf no longer does anything ever, and the last people who made any edits (Win8/10 fix) no longer have a non-Archive.org download and one of them is even banned for whatever reason, so if you expect any fixes for it, tough luck :/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon