Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am
All times are UTC + 0
DDrawCompat - Improve game performance and fix win 8/10 bugs
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:  DDrawCompat - Improve game performance and fix win 8/10 bugs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't know where to post it since it actually works with all classic westwood games (td, ra, ts, ra2, dune 2000).

DDrawCompat is a DirectDraw proxy dll just like cnc-ddraw, ts-ddraw, ddwrapper. It improved the performance dramatically for everyone who tested it yet (went over 14000 FPS in ra1 for me!!). It also solves the alt+tab bugs on windows 8/10 (and the menu bugs too).

It should work fine on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10. (We had no one to try Vista yet)

Even if you don't have any issues with the games, it's still worth a try. It prevents slow downs in big battles online or even in skirmish with AI.

Give it a try:
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

Note: use the latest experimental release

You should be able to start YR with a "-mpdebug" parameter to be able to see the FPS

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How to try this when players are using CnCNet Client?

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are talking about yuris revenge I guess?
I'm not the expert for it but I asked tomsons and bittath, you can start the client and then put the file into your game folder and it should work.

Don't open the settings menu, it will remove the file from the folder.

Once you exit the client it might also remove it, make sure you put it back in on the next start

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I can confirm this works with my setup on Win7, the other ddraw wrapper thingy would just crash, but I have no idea if it performs better than without, at least on RA2.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Well I can confirm this works with my setup on Win7, the other ddraw wrapper thingy would just crash, but I have no idea if it performs better than without, at least on RA2.

Not sure if RA2 got a FPS counter, but on RA1 I just started a certain mission and set game speed to max and then counted how long it took to lose(Not moving my mouse while doing so). Does RA2 also run without any gamespeed cap on the highest setting?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh wrote:
I'm not the expert for it but I asked tomsons and bittath, you can start the client and then put the file into your game folder and it should work.

It's also overwritten when you start a game through the client.

Grant can easily add the wrapper with an update though.

FunkyFr3sh wrote:
Not sure if RA2 got a FPS counter

IIRC -MPDEBUG should work in RA2 as well.

deathreaperz wrote:
How to try this when players are using CnCNet Client?

IIRC you had your own version of the client that you compile yourself. In that case, with the latest commits the DirectDraw wrappers are defined in a Renderers.ini in the Resources\ directory. You can just add the wrapper to that INI file, throw the DLL to the directory as well and it'll work. (see https://github.com/CnCNet/xna-cncnet-client/blob/master/DXMainClient/Resources/DTA/Renderers.ini )

My own experience with DDrawCompat (in TS) is that
1) It gives me FPS roughly as high as TS-DDRAW
2) The in-game cursor moves less smoothly than with TS-DDRAW (the cursor's movement feels stuttery)
3) Menus work smoother than with TS-DDRAW

Based on what I've heard TS-DDRAW works better for me than it works for most people however, so I suspect that this wrapper will be more suitable for most people.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ran it with the -mpdebug but it shows 0.0 only...

zeros.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.55 KB
 Viewed:  6972 Time(s)

zeros.jpg

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you are using Ares then it has an FPS counter you can enable via hotkey (which isnt set by default). For me testing in skirmish YR I've noticed no difference to vanilla, though it ran fine for me anyway.

WoRmINaToR
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YR either crashes immediately (Ares) or throws "Unable to set video mode" (Vanilla) when I throw this one in on my win 10 machine running NVidia drivers. The latest aqirt wrapper works well enough though so oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:

My own experience with DDrawCompat (in TS) is that
1) It gives me FPS roughly as high as TS-DDRAW
2) The in-game cursor moves less smoothly than with TS-DDRAW (the cursor's movement feels stuttery)
3) Menus work smoother than with TS-DDRAW

Based on what I've heard TS-DDRAW works better for me than it works for most people however, so I suspect that this wrapper will be more suitable for most people.

What windows do you have?

WoRmINaToR wrote:
YR either crashes immediately (Ares) or throws "Unable to set video mode" (Vanilla) when I throw this one in on my win 10 machine running NVidia drivers. The latest aqirt wrapper works well enough though so oh well.

Are you sure you downloaded the right file? Cause I had the same issue when I downloaded v0.2.1 first, the experimental/test release didn't do that.

Could also try to enable 16bit color compat mode for the game executable since that's what this error is about.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That guest post was me, wasn't logged in I guess lol

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't need it for Win7 but it is as good as no ddraw, just a bit of lag on
map panning.

On Win10, it works very good.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh wrote:
What windows do you have?

Windows 10, with an AMD Radeon HD 7850 as the graphics card. (mentioning it since graphics cards / drivers also tend to affect the behaviour of the wrappers)

WoRmINaToR
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The unstable build doesn't crash, but I never see the game screen. I hear the menu music but all I see is my desktop squished down to 800x600. Switch back to aqirt's ddraw and everything comes up fine.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WoRmINaToR wrote:
The unstable build doesn't crash, but I never see the game screen. I hear the menu music but all I see is my desktop squished down to 800x600. Switch back to aqirt's ddraw and everything comes up fine.

Oh I see, I guess you had to enable "ForceDirectDrawEmulation=1" in aqrit.cfg to get the game working?

WoRmINaToR
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep. Does this dll not feature DD hardware emulation?

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tested this with Windows 10 and worked. IMO It's the smoothest DDraw among other DDraws.

Yet I can't take ingame screenshots by using PrintScreen and then pasted it in MSPaint.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WoRmINaToR wrote:
Yep. Does this dll not feature DD hardware emulation?

Nope, I think it's actually even trying to prevent emulation. Emulation can have all kind of side effects like flickering, broken window mode, no alt+tab so it makes sense to prevent it.

You should help out and report the black screen issue on github, maybe he can find a way to sort it out without emulation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum