Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Thoughts on Addiction
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Elia
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:  Thoughts on Addiction Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

i joined this community, because I want to understand. Maybe some of you may share your thoughts. I know, you are not there to give me an qualified answer. Im with this issue already in other forums and seek help on other places. But no one there could talk about this in detail or close to the special kind of addiction, so i hope maybe some of you can tell me..

I think my brother is addicted to this modding stuff. He is constantly sitting in front of the pc and has isolated himself completly. He is 22 years old, has made his school - graduated as one of the bests. He was very talented, had a lot of different hobbies, singing, hiking, volunteering.., is it still - his mods are excellent, he knows how to do stuff. After his school graduation he (he started modding after he lost his beloved girlfriend as he was 18, but then it was only on weekends, when he came home after volunteering work) wanted to make a break before he wants to go to college (his grades were perfect, he wanted to start studying medicine just after this "break"). In this break he actually wanted to go on a trip around europe but then it gets repeatedly delayed and then it was cancelled and the modding gets more and more time. We dont seem worried about this, because he seems always so eager to start college after the break. But this break has never stopped, 2 years already, in which we almost never saw him, especilly after he moved to his own place, because there were constantly arguments at home. He has no job at the moment, but he says this is fine, because he needs this time to work on his "masterplan", and he money from the welfare is enough to live.. He is no addict, because this is no drug, and it is not a internet/pc-addiction, because he hasnt even a facebook account or isnt surfing around. He is "working" or "improve his thinking and creative mind"...
I dont know how to handle this anymore. He says, he wants to make an career with it, it gives him more than a possible medicine degree, maybe create some own games, and stuff like this. But he doesnt seem genuine, especially because he isolated himself, he makes no efforts to make something more of his mods (as before, he had always good ideas and realize them as soon as possible like e.g as he worked in the local hospital, he created own creative boardgame sessions for elderly patients), he almost has no social life and it seems like he is hiding himself in it. He became very aggressive. I dont know what happend to him, he had the best basis to start a good life (talents, success in school, rich social life, etc.).

I know my case is very special, and you are no addiction experts nor psychologists, but maybe some of you know other addicts and know why or how or whatever... What is so ztyping addicting or how can i get him out of this? How long are you modding on an avarage day - maybe this you can tell me? How could you manage to attend a normal life besides the modding or how do you prevent yourself from modding to long, if sometimes you spend more time on it more than you wanted?
I dont think, i can get him to stop it in the next time ore to take proffessional help, but maybe i can get him to strat some other things beside it - maybe as first steps.

Again, i dont expect qualified answers and im already with it on professional help - but there, no one can put themself in his position. They put it in the category of pc-addiction, but in this point i agree with my brother, he is not on the pc surfing around or seeking excessive social appreciation on fb or whatever.

Maybe some of you have some non-judgemental thought for me. I just want to understand and get to know of what could be going on in his head..

thank you

(sry for bad english, im from slovakia and far from any talents javascript:emoticon('Razz'))

Elia
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh and he is modding skyrim, if someone wonders, but i think, this doesnt matter, or does it? Didnt want my issue to post on a skyrim-mod-fourm because maybe he would get to see it.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Think of modding as a creative outlet.

Basically, your brother is someone who has a story of his to tell others, for varying reasons. That, or there simply some things he has his own view of how it should've been instead.

In a nut-shell, modding is done to enhance a pre-existing game, be it for story (such as Mental Omega, which adopted RA1's darker tone into its RA2&YR-retelling and expansion), or bug-fixing (such as ...well, pretty much most mods, as well Ares). Alternatively, modders have their own view of how something should've been done, and want to make their vision a reality.

When working on my own C&C S mod, I do so with a story in mind I want to tell others. Morals of the story being what I want to actually deliver. And what better way to do so other than to make a story reflecting on and/or including and/or discussing said morals?

And regarding this pc-addiction thing: Modding is something that the AAA industry, and those psycho-scientists follow only the money and that blasted 'trend', refrain from mentioning, even going as far as to create games in such a way that they can't be modded.
The only games that can still be modded easily are more often older games than newer games (this is case for C&C. I'm unaware of other franchises).
But let's be honest: who talks about games with 'sub-par' and 'primitive' 2D and 2.5D graphics when you can have 'shiny', 'super-saturated', 'best ever' 3D graphics? No-one. At least, not if you're in the AAA industry, where shiny 3D graphics are the norm, but gameplay and story tend to be absolutely terrible (that's how I feel. You're free to prove me wrong.)
Recently, however, it appears the 'trend' is following indie games. Indie games that, funnily enough, are actually mods for a pre-existing engine and aren't necessarily stunning in the graphics department.
Hence why I believe the future of gaming lies not in indie games, but rather indie mods.

And your brother seems to be of that view as well.
Pity he's doing Skyrim though. Would love to see what he would do with Ares #Tongue
How did you get here, tho? This is a C&C site, AFAIK. Not Skyrim.

In any case, hope this helped. And apologies for my rant up there. Had to get it out Wink

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I was just getting into highschool I found I wasn't getting enough "logic" work to develop my mind and turned to programming. I understand completely...

I wouldn't worry just yet, most people have no idea what they want to do, so if he's found some passion, let him explore it. Ironically this is actually the best treatment for autists too, which I would suspect your brother is.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Addiction Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elia wrote:
Hello,

i joined this community, because I want to understand. Maybe some of you may share your thoughts. I know, you are not there to give me an qualified answer. Im with this issue already in other forums and seek help on other places. But no one there could talk about this in detail or close to the special kind of addiction, so i hope maybe some of you can tell me..

I think my brother is addicted to this modding stuff. He is constantly sitting in front of the pc and has isolated himself completly. He is 22 years old, has made his school - graduated as one of the bests. He was very talented, had a lot of different hobbies, singing, hiking, volunteering.., is it still - his mods are excellent, he knows how to do stuff. After his school graduation he (he started modding after he lost his beloved girlfriend as he was 18, but then it was only on weekends, when he came home after volunteering work) wanted to make a break before he wants to go to college (his grades were perfect, he wanted to start studying medicine just after this "break"). In this break he actually wanted to go on a trip around europe but then it gets repeatedly delayed and then it was cancelled and the modding gets more and more time. We dont seem worried about this, because he seems always so eager to start college after the break. But this break has never stopped, 2 years already, in which we almost never saw him, especilly after he moved to his own place, because there were constantly arguments at home. He has no job at the moment, but he says this is fine, because he needs this time to work on his "masterplan", and he money from the welfare is enough to live.. He is no addict, because this is no drug, and it is not a internet/pc-addiction, because he hasnt even a facebook account or isnt surfing around. He is "working" or "improve his thinking and creative mind"...
I dont know how to handle this anymore. He says, he wants to make an career with it, it gives him more than a possible medicine degree, maybe create some own games, and stuff like this. But he doesnt seem genuine, especially because he isolated himself, he makes no efforts to make something more of his mods (as before, he had always good ideas and realize them as soon as possible like e.g as he worked in the local hospital, he created own creative boardgame sessions for elderly patients), he almost has no social life and it seems like he is hiding himself in it. He became very aggressive. I dont know what happend to him, he had the best basis to start a good life (talents, success in school, rich social life, etc.).

I know my case is very special, and you are no addiction experts nor psychologists, but maybe some of you know other addicts and know why or how or whatever... What is so ztyping addicting or how can i get him out of this? How long are you modding on an avarage day - maybe this you can tell me? How could you manage to attend a normal life besides the modding or how do you prevent yourself from modding to long, if sometimes you spend more time on it more than you wanted?
I dont think, i can get him to stop it in the next time ore to take proffessional help, but maybe i can get him to strat some other things beside it - maybe as first steps.

Again, i dont expect qualified answers and im already with it on professional help - but there, no one can put themself in his position. They put it in the category of pc-addiction, but in this point i agree with my brother, he is not on the pc surfing around or seeking excessive social appreciation on fb or whatever.

Maybe some of you have some non-judgemental thought for me. I just want to understand and get to know of what could be going on in his head..

thank you

(sry for bad english, im from slovakia and far from any talents javascript:emoticon('Razz'))

It's very weird to be addicted to modding and not social media sites, personally i 'might' be about to not to use my facebook account anymore since i last used it in march 2017

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Addiction Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
It's very weird to be addicted to modding and not social media sites
Not really. I'd prefer modding and/or studying over FB, Twitter and all those 'social' sites any day.

I think the problem with how gullible those sites have become, as a result of being infested with 10 year-olds impersonating a guy in his 20s.

That, and I wasn't exactly raised to 'love' people or 'social' interactions. I still had RA2 back then, and it was enough for me #Tongue

Lastly, what good have these 'social's done in all their years of existance?

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon