Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Mega Aircraft Carrier
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
t98766a
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:  Mega Aircraft Carrier
Subject description: New generation of Allied aircraft carrier
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many people complain that Allied navy's firepower is not powerful enough, especially when compared with Soviet dreadnought. So after posting my upgraded version of dreadnought (Here), I decided to make a brand new Allied aircraft carrier (Mega Aircraft Carrier) for Allied navy to restore balance.

Hope you like it, and have fun gaming Wink

Notice: Competely original content, if you'd like to quote or publish this, be sure to credit the author. Thank you

Author: t98766a
Email: tomjerry1087@gmail.com

ingame-1.png
 Description:
ingame-1
 Filesize:  212.21 KB
 Viewed:  9118 Time(s)

ingame-1.png

ingame-2.png
 Description:
ingame-2
 Filesize:  122.17 KB

ingame-2.png

vxl-1.png
 Description:
carrier vxl
 Filesize:  169.06 KB

vxl-1.png

vxl-2.png
 Description:
jet vxl
 Filesize:  42.13 KB

vxl-2.png

megacarricon.png
 Description:
Cameo
 Filesize:  2.42 KB

megacarricon.png

Mega_Aircraft_Carrier.zip
 Description:
Download

Download
 Filename:  Mega_Aircraft_Carrier.zip
 Filesize:  150.3 KB
 Downloaded:  295 Time(s)

Black Temple Gaurdian
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The voxel's a bit busy on the bow but otherwise great, but... eurgh, that name.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks nothing like an aircraft carrier IMO, it looks more like a surveillance craft with all those radar dishes & antennas.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Creator
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks kinda high tech for the aircraft
and some how the ship body is hovering above the water
but interesting design
Very Happy

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Looks nothing like an aircraft carrier IMO, it looks more like a surveillance craft with all those radar dishes & antennas.
I think those are those stopper/absorber things on RL carriers.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
t98766a
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:

Well, my friend, what should an aircraft carrier look like? Actually it doesn't have any specific shape or design. So just forget it Smile

t98766a
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Creator wrote:
looks kinda high tech for the aircraft
and some how the ship body is hovering above the water
but interesting design
Very Happy

Hi, it's in fact not hovering, only the edge part of the body extends out and look like hovering, just take a closer look. Cheers Smile

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The voxel isn't badly made, it's just that an aircraft carrier is the last thing that comes to mind when I see it. Real aircraft carriers look like this: Nimitz class

Of course you dont have to stick to the traditional real life flat top layout tho, there are plenty of ways to make a more sci-fi style design such as these.

They all feature a prominent runway or landing pads tho making them easily distinguishable as an aircraft carrier.

I presume the two red squares on your design are meant to be the landing pads? They are tiny in comparison to the rest of the ship & are greatly overshadowed by the size & amount of radar dishes, thus leading to my original statement.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then I'll be the one against Mig with actually defending this design - with RA2 only supporting VTOL plane movement anyway, replacing the obvious runway with a dual helipad makes sense to me. And considering that the whole ship itself is big, I don't have any issues with the size of the pads either. It's in line with the WW carrier design in terms of scale IMO even.

The only thing that I can agree with is that the big radar dish is unneeded, the two side radars in the sides of the helipads are already more than enough.

My main issue with your designs is that the community in general have passed these imitate-Westwood textures so this (and the Dread-Prime as well) needs a major rework to be used in a current mod. Still, go on, your designs are really Westwoody and it's nice to see unique stuff - especially considering that the community does not have many naval voxels either.

I really like this design though so if I find time, I'll certainly try to modernize the texture for sure and try to get it placed into my mod.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with having landing pads instead of a runway, the first alternative design I showed has landing pads & I specifically said "runway or landing pads".

As for WW scale the landing pad on the original aircraft carrier occupied roughly 1/3 of the ship & was the most prominent feature of the design.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you consider those black sidepanels with the additional radars part of the helipads as well? Because I felt those are fitting well to them and with them, the 1/3 scale roughly is there as well. Although I can also relate that it makes the pads less prominent in general, but a better texture/color usage could've helped on that as well.

If you look at the Dread-Prime as well, the missile house also doesn't feel enough prominent there, so I'd guess that's part of his designs.

TBH your first helipadesque scifi design looks weird to me, it moreso feels like a turreted ship with the turret missing from the front.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see you're recreating the original voxel style of the RA2, which is actually a rather great attempt, and the results looks definitely genuine. A great job.

As for the design, I'd rather say this design is weird. Most part of the ship is wasted and serves no obvious function.

One important reason why vehicle designs in sci-fi media looks unrealistic and ridiculous to many people is that those designs ignore their supposed purpose: heavy tanks supposed to triumph over conventional wwii tanks but totally ignoring frontal protection against direct fire, personal laser guns in far future with unnecessary 20th-century recoil and even case-ejecting mechanisms found on conventional firearms, melee swords supposed to kill armored knights but impossibly long and sleek completely unable to defeat body armor, etc. With their form defying, not following their function, people will start to wonder why those cool future weapons must look that way, and we'll eventually feel that they looks unrealistic, at least illogical.

This aircraft carrier design looks weird mainly due to that ultra-large bridge. Seriously, why does an aircraft carrier need such a large bridge? Battleships had high and large bridges to provide better view range for centralized artillery fire control, in an era where radar was still unable to completely replace human eyes when looking for enemy warships. But an aircraft carrier doesn't need to accurately deliver 16-inch shells to dozens of kilometers afar: aircraft carrier's bridge serves less purposes than a battleship, and could be much smaller.

However, modern warships sports large bridges due to they put large radars inside the bridge, and an advanced aircraft carrier will definitely require powerful radar to keep track of their aircraft squardrons and check for incoming aerial & naval enemies. So, if you want to retain the huge bridge, you can search on google and look how radars are placed on a modern warship, such like DDG-1000, Type 055, JMSDF's Akizuki-class, etc.

As for the landing pads, the biggest job of an aircraft carrier is to carry and throw aircrafts at its enemy. So you should dedicate most tonnage, volume, and shapes to this single purpose. A large carrier must have large runway (or landing pads) for faster takeoff and landing (and a larger garage, of course), otherwise, there would be no reason to build them this large if a smaller ship could do the same thing with less tonnage, lower manpower, and less cost.

And, you'll need to put the airplanes somewhere when not using them, right? Modern aircraft carriers bring dozens of aircraft with them, and they are mostly put in garage under the deck, only brought to the deck by elevators when in battle. The carrier in RA2 is actually a quite clever design: there isn't a deck and the aircrafts land directly into the garage when lading.

And if you use landing pads for VTOL crafts instead of traditional runway, you still need to make sure there should't be tall messy things around the pads which would absolutely interfere with the aircraft. The huge radar things you put around the landing area is stupid and should be move to somewhere else like the bridge. (Btw real radars doesn't look like the dish you put on your roof for watching televisions.)

So to me, you could do it like this: make the upper structure cleaner, the stupid bridge smaller, and the landing area bigger, and add indications where the garage and the garage elevator is. And remove those stupid radar dishes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!