Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:26 am
All times are UTC + 0
final alert 2 refuses to accept new directory location
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR
Combat Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:  final alert 2 refuses to accept new directory location Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am trying to make FA2 work with my mod, but it wont read the INI files in my mods directory, only the vanilla game. I have tried admin mode, read-only, but I still dosnt work.
howver it does work the first time after a new install of FA2, but when I open the program again, it resets back to the vanilla folder. and I would rather not re-install the game everytime I want to edit a map.

does anyone know how to fix this?

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use the patched FA2 v1.02 (EXE file only, not installer) version attached, which contains the following hacks:

- More undo/redo.
- Repeat/AND/OR dropdown fixes for Trigger and Tag windows.
- Ignore RA2 install path from the registry and use path from FinalAlert.ini.
- Sounds volume and tone considerably reduced.
- New map creation window allows extended map sizes.

FA2Exe_v102_Patched.7z
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FA2Exe_v102_Patched.7z
 Filesize:  509.47 KB
 Downloaded:  36 Time(s)

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: final alert 2 refuses to accept new directory location Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR wrote:
I am trying to make FA2 work with my mod, but it wont read the INI files in my mods directory, only the vanilla game. I have tried admin mode, read-only, but I still dosnt work.
howver it does work the first time after a new install of FA2, but when I open the program again, it resets back to the vanilla folder. and I would rather not re-install the game everytime I want to edit a map.
does anyone know how to fix this?
I had this problem too.
The problem is FA2, upon run, always goes through the registry, and gets the game directory from there.
(Hence the "can't access registry" note at times. It's actually a good thing in these cases)

This means that the last installed RA2 copy (yes, you can install RA2 several times on the same device in as many locations as you want) that actually went into the registry (these installers also create Start Menu shortcuts) is the one FA2 (regardless which one, except for E1 Elite's) will read.

So basically, run the FA2 you have and go to Settings.
You'll be shown the directory FA2 will always be reading.

Next, open up the registry.

Hit Ctrl+F and search for the file-path of the RA2 EXE FA2 is reading the files from.

Now you have two options:
A) you adjust the 'wrong' path(s) and make it/them 'right'
B) delete the whole thing
Of course, you need to be careful what exactly you change or delete from the registry.

Side-note: I remember once going throught the system files of Windows XP and found a FinalAlert.ini in there.
If memory serves me correctly, the 'wrong' EXE was defined in the path.
But nothing happened because the 'wrong' path became invalid after a time.
Me having to open FinalAlert.ini and constantly delete [TS] and saving after finishing up with FA2 ended then and there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR
Combat Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
Use the patched FA2 v1.02 (EXE file only, not installer) version attached, which contains the following hacks:

- More undo/redo.
- Repeat/AND/OR dropdown fixes for Trigger and Tag windows.
- Ignore RA2 install path from the registry and use path from FinalAlert.ini.
- Sounds volume and tone considerably reduced.
- New map creation window allows extended map sizes.

This made it work! Thanks! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon