Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 pm
All times are UTC + 0
*** Announcing New Horizons Mod ***
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:  *** Announcing New Horizons Mod ***
Subject description: Version 1.0 is now Live!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My new mod is now released!

Behold, Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge: New Horizons

(Now one of the longest-named games.... ever)

It is available on ModDB here;

https://www.moddb.com/mods/red-alert-2-yr-new-horizons

New Horizons is a mod made in tribute to the classic real time strategy game Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge, originally made by Westwood Studios. New Horizons vastly expands the original game with an emphasis on realism, while at the same time preserving the elements that made Red Alert 2 unique.

Full Release Version 1.0. Has been tested to run on multiple versions of windows, on multiple systems all the way up to Windows 10, including via LAN.

Thanks to the efforts of the Ares developers (Alex), Ares software update to version 1.0 has reinstated the game's original Save & Load functionality!
I have implemented the latest version of this software, as well as finalised the draft version of New Horizons, and can confirm through initial tests so far
that the Save & Load functionality does seem to work. One thing to note from what I can tell so far is once you click to load a saved game it can take a while to load,
(no loading bar to guage loading progress) but it Does load.

Notes: at the moment, Some AI teams take time to start full base production, but eventually they all do.

INSTRUCTIONS: save folder, sort files by 'type', then all 'applications' files select one by one, right click, go to properties, go to compatibility, and set to run compatibility mode for
Windows XP service pack 3, or preferably Windows 7 (But Not higher than 7 for technical issues related to Windows). Do this for all file type 'application', as well as 'Syringe'. Now Launch the game using 'RunAres' (you may want to create a shortcut on your desktop).
Also, you may need to allow/make exceptions on any security software you may have, that's it. Enjoy!

LAN is functional (and awesome!), this has been tested on Windows systems as high as Windows 7 and 10! It may be necessary to change the serial number in the Regedit (computer's registry), and depending on the computer it may be necessary as a failsafe to install the original disk
to create that registry, though it may also just be a case of saving the folder in the game's original preferred folder. (this would need to be google'd)

Credits-

New Horizons was made possible with open sourced
materials from such brilliant modding resource sites
as Project Perfect Mod, ModEnc, Revora Forums, CnCNet
and poorly-translated dark corners of the internet
riddled with who knows how many computer viruses.
With special thanks for the advice and support from
the members of the PPM forum, and of course those who
have worked on the code for Ares. And of course a
special thanks to my 2nd in command Kristine,
who supported me throughout the project, as well as
a variety of 80s music, Trance music, and a s**tload
of coffee.

I hope you enjoy playing this mod in all it's glory,
and if you are interested in my other project then
feel free to search #OfficialTROTL Wink

New Horizons is a mod developed by
Liam S. Blades in tribute to the original Command & Conquer series
created by Brett Sperry and Joseph Bostic

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't understand why you are releasing it as a hodge-podge of public assets without even spending time to homogenize the look and colour schemes. You call this 1.0 but it looks like 0.1 with placeholders.

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
I don't understand why you are releasing it as a hodge-podge of public assets without even spending time to homogenize the look and colour schemes. You call this 1.0 but it looks like 0.1 with placeholders.

I'm not sure what you mean, could you be more specific? What do you mean by 'hodge-podge of public assets'?

The look and colour schemes are not homogenised? -The standard look and colour schemes of the game has been retained... I could refer to that as, 'hetero-size'... Bad jokes i know, but seriously i don't know what colour scheme you mean.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have a big bright yellow tank, a black ship with white outlines, a dark bronze tank, a black helicopter with remap all over the place like it crashed through a paint store, a featureless white-blue aircraft, and a dark brown mlrs... and that's in the first 4 screenshots.

You have zero consistency.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations! You have reinvented the early 2000s low quality lazy mods featuring plug'n'play modding, with zero regards to recoloring the voxels to be atleast side consistent color and recoloring is fast on vxlse schemes so there is no excuse to do this sloppy job.

Some of those voxels you chose to use are so bad that they should be taken out unless you redetail them entirely by hand which is unlikely here and you should have renormalized them at very least vs the oldest voxels but what can you expect when your idea of quality is potato level.

b7e.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.3 KB
 Viewed:  4945 Time(s)

b7e.png

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Give the poor guy a break, would you?

It's his first mod.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don't elevate modders or modding by giving participation trophies... you do it by criticizing so they understand what is priority.

There is little to no priority to release a mod that is so unfinished, all you do is throw another bag of trash in the dumpster of all the trash that came before.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Way to encourage people. Not everything has to be as shiny as possible; sometimes it's just about having good old fun and no pressure.

Congrats on the release, Lee3y! Smile

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the mixed bag of hate and encouragement guys haha

Yes, my mod is mostly about the gameplay itself (including 'Fun'), and not so much about how pretty the individual shp's or vxl's are.

That said, the mod consists of a mixture of units and buildings: some open-sourced, some that are modified by me, and some that are entirely made by me.

For example I'm quite proud of my Msta-s artillery unit, T-14 Armata, Panstir S-1, and 96LE(can't remember full name) radar unit; all based on their Real Life counterparts.

On the flipside I do intend to make some shp's / vxl's prettier,  but it's down to your personal taste. I was hoping more for people to enjoy the overhauled feel for the game, realising I have extensively re-written the AI (which are capable of some interesting things), and extensively reworked the rules of the game. Play the original game and compare. In this mod you can still play the original campaign and revel in the glory of it's in-game live -action cut-scenes, while using all those new toys. Many people may appreciate little things, such as how all factions can now build airfields, as well as their own air fleets, or how it no longer takes 5 riflemen to blow up a building with a few bullets, or the expanded selection of navy units, infantry, and units. The stress-free semi-autonomous repair units that will look after things if told to rather than relying on click-repairing Everything... I could go on but I won't. Wink

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No it's not our personal taste, it's your personal taste that matters.

You keep thinking you're doing us a favour releasing it or making it, when you are the one who has to sell us on the idea instead.

Earn your respect.

IamInnocent
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will try out this mod, a tribute is one of many forms of the foundation of passion, which is found to be lacking in many things these days, especially video games nowdays, unlike in the past.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon