Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 am
All times are UTC + 0
Info on bridge overlay types
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:  Info on bridge overlay types Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In OverlayTypes list, high bridges are the big concrete bridge in the air TS/RA2 (index 24, 25), railbridge in TS (index 59, 60) and high wood bridge RA2 (index 237, 238). These bridge pieces are in the air and cover 3 cells. Game stores only the middle cell location of these high bridge pieces in the OverlayPack and OverlayDataPack sections of the map. Game then extrapolates this location and makes the high bridge as 3 cell wide. These Pack sections in the map don't have any height information so there is only one overlay per cell, so one is not supposed to have one bridge over another at same cell locations.

Developers have just renamed TrainBridgeSet to WoodBridgeSet in gamemd.exe and replaced TS rail bridge overlay index (59, 60 - hex 3B, 3C) with wood bridge high overlay index (237, 238 - hex ED, EE). It can be found at gamemd.exe - 0x8A0BE ED, 0x8A0C6 EE, 0x18733C ED, 0x187344 EE, 0x1FC613 ED, 0x1FC61B EE, 0x1FD4E6 ED and 0x1FD4ED EE. Basically, TS train bridge is the high wood bridge in RA2. TrainBridgeSet in terrain INI files shouldn't work, as it is now referred to as WoodBridgeSet. And OverlayTypes index slots of 59 and 60 have been vacated, so those could be used for other purposes.

High bridges use 2 indices in the OverlayTypes list but uses the same art. How it gets used is explained here - https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=572963#572963

Game stores the low bridge data differently when compared to the high bridges in the maps. There are 3 frames per bridge piece which are for the 3 cells it covers and is stored as such in the maps. Those 3 frames (0, 1, and 2) should be next to each other and aligned with the next bridge piece in the maps to work properly. The FA2 image is attached to show the proper placement. Otherwise, the bridge breaking and repair functionality doesn't work properly.

ModEnc is updated with the map's OverlayPack and OverlayDataPack sections at - https://www.modenc.renegadeprojects.com/OverlayPack

LowBridgeFrames.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.85 KB
 Viewed:  1066 Time(s)

LowBridgeFrames.jpg

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sooo...
Does this mean we can now add in rail bridges from the TX properly without having to sacrifice the wood bridge?

You said the original spots for the rail bridge are empty in RA2...

"OverlayTypes index slots of 59 and 60 have been vacated, so those could be used for other purposes."
Unless you meant (alomst) anything other BUT bridges...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it clearly states WW replaced train with wood bridges. There is no new or additional or disabled bridge.

So no, you can't add it in addition.

Well, you can add a bridge image to overlay 59 and 60, except that it doesn't work at all ingame, since the hardcoded logic to make them work is not there. that's on 237, 238 in RA2.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Either use it as train bridge or high wood bridge, not for both. Vacated indices 59, 60 means it could be used for other generic overlays like rocks, not for bridge (though I have only tested for bridge and it doesn't work).

In the in-game image, original gamemd.exe and with replaced indices 237, 238 back to 59, 60.

EitherOrSwitchedIndices.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.4 KB
 Viewed:  1030 Time(s)

EitherOrSwitchedIndices.jpg

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I should add an addendum to the way low bridges work...

Similar to how you can drive onto crushable fences with tanks even on rock/cliff or other impassable terrain, low bridges just change the ground type on the cells they cover, they do not change the height.

I experimented with using a rock 1-height spine across a valley and used a low bridge across it, the overlay art being centered on the spine showed that it was off the ground, but vehicles would move across at ground level anyway. Visually with the sloped ends even a low bridge should have raised a unit passing over it by 1 height, yet it doesn't, probably for simplicity.

A high bridge by comparison operates the same with the exception of adding 4 height to the ground it passes over. You can see in the attached image how the unit tracks the tile slope below it perfectly, just with added height. Also notice it falls into shadow since it is now notionally below the bridge for the shadow rendering pass.

slopebridge.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.75 KB
 Viewed:  1024 Time(s)

slopebridge.jpg

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's also a bug, at least in TS, where a unit can drive off a high bridge onto a slope below, if that slope is adjacent to the bridge. IIRC that includes the normally-impassable guard rail, so to play safe, mappers should leave a 5-cell wide flat area under the bridge. Curiously enough, it doesn't work reverse, i.e. units cannot jump onto the bridge from a slope below.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for bump, but wanted to confirm that units in RA2, YR and even with YR+Ares units can and probably will drive off high bridges if you mess with slopes/ramps underneath the bridge, not sure about "adjacent".
Vehicles will tilt and "climb", infantry will "climb".

Any overlay placed beneath bridge is respected: walls block that spot, fences can get driven over and crushed. I'm not sure how Tiberiums and bridges mix, and I haven't tested buildings under bridges either.

Curious: this works as intended (no vehicles driving off the bridge).
But if I were to take the cliff-face and move it back a bit so that the bridge overlay is over the cliff tips, units won't use the right lane at all.

SharedScreenshot.jpg
 Description:
Move the cliff face backwards one cell and the bridge will hold but right lane impassable. Reverse for cliff back: left impassable.
 Filesize:  518.46 KB
 Viewed:  625 Time(s)

SharedScreenshot.jpg

SharedScreenshot.jpg
 Description:
Fences can get crushed, walls avoided.
 Filesize:  518.46 KB
 Viewed:  625 Time(s)

SharedScreenshot.jpg

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speaking of bridges, here's another interesting feature regarding high bridges in TS.

See the video description for more info.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is because only one overlay can exist per cell and high bridge overlay is represented by its middle cell only.

So bridge repair logic takes precedence over the underlying overlay. It may not be just veins but other overlays too could be replaced I suppose.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can confirm this happens to fences.
Walls and ore... haven't tested, but I'm sure they get replaced too.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
So bridge repair logic takes precedence over the underlying overlay. It may not be just veins but other overlays too could be replaced I suppose.

Yeah, but what's more interesting is that the vein growth logic is not interrupted - they keep growing on the other side despite the obvious gap. And if you kill the veinhole they recede.

If the bridge is intact when the veins reach it, it blocks them from spreading further.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon