Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am
All times are UTC + 0
cnc-ddraw supports now Red Alert 2 / YR / Tiberian Sun...
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:  cnc-ddraw supports now Red Alert 2 / YR / Tiberian Sun... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know, I know... we already got ts-ddraw, I actually added support for 16bit color depth to the good old cnc-ddraw for dune 2000 but it does work with other westwood games too.

If anyone wants to try:
https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw/releases

Make sure you read the instructions. If you run this on TS/RA2 then make sure you disable the games own windowed mode first. If you want to play in windowed mode then start the game once in fullscreen and press Alt+Enter to switch to the cnc-ddraw windowed mode (If Alt+Enter doesn't work, then open ddraw.ini and set "windowed=true" ).

You can resize the window during runtime for stretching, the RA2/TS menus will not stretch and show up in the top left of the screen, everything else will stretch fine though.

Note: This only works if your game executables have the original filename, if you use a custom named executable then you need to modify ddraw.ini (See sections at the bottom for examples)

Supported Games:

Command & Conquer Gold
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
Dune 2000
Nox

Last edited by FunkyFr3sh on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:43 pm; edited 4 times in total

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does this work for tiberian twilight?

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, these old versions of DirectDraw were used in games made between 1995-2001, might work for a lot of old games but tiberian twilight is way too new and probably is using direct3d instead

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn. I use Windows 98. Wanted to play Tiberian Twilight.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

98 can play up to Generals smoothly

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one actually seems to be working better for me than ts-ddraw, for some reason. I'm not able to go into windowed mode, but other than that, it's been flawless, including letting me actually switch out of and back into YR.

I'm on WX 1810.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

silverwind wrote:
This one actually seems to be working better for me than ts-ddraw, for some reason. I'm not able to go into windowed mode, but other than that, it's been flawless, including letting me actually switch out of and back into YR.

I'm on WX 1810.

The game must be set to fullscreen. Start it once in fullscreen and then press Alt+Enter to switch to windowed mode. If Alt+Enter doesn't work, then open ddraw.ini and set "windowed=true"

cnc-ddraw will save when you switched between windowed/fullscreen mode during runtime and on the next game start it will be again at the same state. It does also save the window position and size, so in case you resize or move the window it will restore that on next start too.

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the late reply, but Alt+Enter is what let me switch out of and back into YR. The behavior is the same as back in the days of XP, for me.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

silverwind wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, but Alt+Enter is what let me switch out of and back into YR. The behavior is the same as back in the days of XP, for me.

Are you sure you are not confusing Alt+Enter with Alt+Tab? #Tongue

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sliders misplaced and the select map page got messsssed
Win10

QQ??20181224215531.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  251.08 KB
 Viewed:  10050 Time(s)

QQ??20181224215531.png

QQ??20181224215516.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  337.68 KB

QQ??20181224215516.png

QQ??20181224215510.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  274.97 KB

QQ??20181224215510.png

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey! ^^That's exactly what I have to deal with!

At least, until I move the sliders, then they're normal again.
Not the mini-map tho...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is that on WX? You might be able to fix that by changing the High DPI settings - change the method to System.

System (enhanced) doesn't work well with anything with raster graphics, imo.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

silverwind wrote:
[...] fix that by changing the High DPI settings - change the method to System.
System (enhanced) doesn't work well with anything with raster graphics, imo.

While I can confirm the UI sliders aren't messed up anymore and the game looks like the good ol' WinXP days, alt-tab while in the pause menu makes the buttons disappear, making it impossible to resume the mission, or save it...

I'll take a slightly messed up UI over a completely busted one (and WinXP over LoseX) any day #Tongue

NOTE: Is it possible this busting is related to the render DLL I'm using?
I could put it up here, if anyone wants to confirm. Or you can PM me, I don't mind...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
Sliders misplaced and the select map page got messsssed
Win10

Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked what's going on here for a while...

I could reproduce it, it's related to high DPI settings. Will try to fix it on the next release Smile

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@FunkyFr3sh Got an update for you, based on the outcome of this thread I started; https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=578210#578210

I downloaded the latest CnC DDraw wrapper (version 1.3.4.0), and it fixed the old issue of having 2 black borders, one either side of my screen, having traditionally being used to playing with the res. set at 800x600. I can now play full screen, with no black borders, with a custom res. set at 1066x600, which is the good news.

The new problem now is the main menu (and pause menu), are now relegated to a small screen in the top left corner of my display. @E1 Elite suggested I mention on this thread to see about addressing this. Perhaps make it possible for the menu to have a separate resolution/scaling, or make it possible for cnc ddraw to disable any changes to the menu when it's not wanted?

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are multiple problems...

First of all, YR got a bug where the game doesn't change the resolution back to 800x600 in the menus in case the height of your in-game resolution is also 600. The guys at westwood forgot to actually check the width, they were assuming that you run at 800x600 already and so they didn't change the display mode back to 800x600 when you return to the menus after the game play...

To workaround this bug and get the menus working properly again, try this:

In RA2MD.ini -
[Video]
ScreenWidth=1066
ScreenHeight=601

Next problem is that cnc-ddraw can only scale the main window but can't scale the child windows in the menus (we tried hard in ts-ddraw and cnc-ddraw already, but there is no solution yet...). That means you'll have to live with the menus not being centered and showing up in the top left.

To reduce the visual flaws in the pause menus it's the best to let cnc-ddraw's automatic scaling take care of everything rather than trying to scale to fullscreen like you did in your config.

Revert the following settings back to default:

In ddraw.ini -
[ddraw]
width=0
height=0
fullscreen=false

It's not perfect, but with this config the main menus resolution won't be touched and you'll have a almost fullscreen pause menu Smile

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh wrote:
There are multiple problems...

First of all, YR got a bug where the game doesn't change the resolution back to 800x600 in the menus in case the height of your in-game resolution is also 600. The guys at westwood forgot to actually check the width, they were assuming that you run at 800x600 already and so they didn't change the display mode back to 800x600 when you return to the menus after the game play...

To workaround this bug and get the menus working properly again, try this:

In RA2MD.ini -
[Video]
ScreenWidth=1066
ScreenHeight=601

Next problem is that cnc-ddraw can only scale the main window but can't scale the child windows in the menus (we tried hard in ts-ddraw and cnc-ddraw already, but there is no solution yet...). That means you'll have to live with the menus not being centered and showing up in the top left.

To reduce the visual flaws in the pause menus it's the best to let cnc-ddraw's automatic scaling take care of everything rather than trying to scale to fullscreen like you did in your config.

Revert the following settings back to default:

In ddraw.ini -
[ddraw]
width=0
height=0
fullscreen=false

It's not perfect, but with this config the main menus resolution won't be touched and you'll have a almost fullscreen pause menu Smile

Thanks for the response,

So I gave a go setting  height to 601, as well as the recommended ddraw settings. Those settings in ddraw had no effect other than to replace some of the game screen permanently with a border as well as the windows task bar at the bottom (windowed mode), with the main menu now as a consequence just a little bit Even Smaller (and in the top right still.

However, when I kept the ddraw settings in fullscreen and with height set to 601, there was 1 small improvement; the Pause menu was now a bit bigger, although still relatively small, and in the top left. The actual game, load screens, and cutscenes are all running nice and proper on fullscreen though. I hope you can be successful in updating cncdraw to sort out the menu, then perfection will have been achieved Wink

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've noticed a possible peculiarity in the ddraw.ini settings, maybe causing a conflict?

At the bottom of the settings it lists various games, and I notice this;

; Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
[gamemd]
noactivateapp=true
handlemouse=false
maxfps=60
width=1907
height=1054
posX=-153
posY=105
windowed=true

; Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge Online
[gamemd-spawn]
noactivateapp=true
handlemouse=false
maxfps=60

^
Besides the conflicting width/height, posX and pos Y are seemingly random numbers preset here, whereas further up the document where I've assumed is the bit we are to customise, there is this;

; Window position, -32000 = center to screen
posX=-32000
posY=-32000

Should I maybe set these to match what is at the beginning? Oddly enough, despite the menus being small and at the top left, once in a while they will *rarely* show up briefly as proper, full screen (I'm talking, maybe for 1 Frame when I click on something sometimes). So something somewhere may be conflicting.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lee3y wrote:
I've noticed a possible peculiarity in the ddraw.ini settings, maybe causing a conflict?

[gamemd]
noactivateapp=true
handlemouse=false
maxfps=60
width=1907
height=1054
posX=-153
posY=105
windowed=true

[gamemd-spawn]
noactivateapp=true
handlemouse=false
maxfps=60

^
Besides the conflicting width/height, posX and pos Y are seemingly random numbers preset here, whereas further up the document where I've assumed is the bit we are to customise, there is this;

posX=-32000
posY=-32000

Should I maybe set these to match what is at the beginning? Oddly enough, despite the menus being small and at the top left, once in a while they will *rarely* show up briefly as proper, full screen (I'm talking, maybe for 1 Frame when I click on something sometimes). So something somewhere may be conflicting.

It looks like you hit Alt+Enter to switch to windowed mode, in that case it will save your settings in the [gamemd] section. Since you want to run the game fullscreen you'll have to delete the following lines and it should be working fine:

width=1907
height=1054
posX=-153
posY=105
windowed=true

You can keep the posX=-32000 on top, those are the default settings.

And about the menus showing up fullscreen for a moment, that's normal. It will fill the main window with black once it detected that the menus are active.

Note: You can also just delete ddraw.ini and it will create a fresh one.

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh wrote:
Lee3y wrote:

[gamemd]
noactivateapp=true
handlemouse=false
maxfps=60
width=1907
height=1054
posX=-153
posY=105
windowed=true

[gamemd-spawn]
noactivateapp=true
handlemouse=false
maxfps=60

^

posX=-32000
posY=-32000

It looks like you hit Alt+Enter to switch to windowed mode, in that case it will save your settings in the [gamemd] section. Since you want to run the game fullscreen you'll have to delete the following lines and it should be working fine:

width=1907
height=1054
posX=-153
posY=105
windowed=true

You can keep the posX=-32000 on top, those are the default settings.

And about the menus showing up fullscreen for a moment, that's normal. It will fill the main window with black once it detected that the menus are active.

Note: You can also just delete ddraw.ini and it will create a fresh one.

Deleted those lines as you suggested, but had no effect. I personally shall live with the tiny menus, for the sake of full screen glory everywhere else. Hopefully you can fix menus in next update, fingers crossed

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh wrote:
silverwind wrote:

Are you sure you are not confusing Alt+Enter with Alt+Tab? #Tongue

Oh hey, what do you know? you were right! I WAS confusing Alt+Enter with Alt+Tab for some inconceivable reason. ^_^

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's Alt+Tab in today's windows this time :p

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon