Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Another Turret "still under work"
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject:  Another Turret "still under work" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this is my first try to adopt C&C 3 style of turrets

first attempt.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  539.24 KB
 Viewed:  1230 Time(s)

first attempt.gif

3d turret.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.9 MB
 Viewed:  1230 Time(s)

3d turret.jpg

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What are the auto-normals settings you're using?

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I usually use the Influence auto normals with the RA2 range and some cases I increase the value, But for this one I used the Cubed auto normals  and ofcourse without changing any values

May I know why you ask, I mean that I keep reading that "auto normals"
DESTROYS the design and it's better to use hand made normals, which is something really very hard for me!!!!

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TRUEGRIT wrote:
I usually use the Influence auto normals with the RA2 range and some cases I increase the value, But for this one I used the Cubed auto normals  and ofcourse without changing any values

May I know why you ask, I mean that I keep reading that "auto normals"
DESTROYS the design and it's better to use hand made normals, which is something really very hard for me!!!!

Cubed normals is only good for boxy objects and kills the shape of rounded of lumpy sections. I use 7.1 with at least 2 smooth and 5-15 contrast for the basic run, then do manual touchups to remove stepping on slope faces and diagonal edges as needed.

See the G6 Howitzer I uploaded, that's had less than 5min of manual touchup. You should always view your model in normals mode from every angle, check to see if it looks good there, and note any problem spots.

apocnorm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.78 KB
 Viewed:  1182 Time(s)

apocnorm.jpg

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I did looked at your G6 and downloaded it too and I believe there is nothing bad notable with it, or so I guess

about the turret its just still under work, but I'm confused about your opinion, because as you know I'm not a graphic designer so there in no scratch or a version with normals mod from this model

I mean that I made it all just via the VSE (frame by frame and pixel by pixel)

and as you said to me that I should show my model in normals mod

so How is that??

Also, you haven't told me if the whole idea is good or bad, to make new turrets like that 3D one

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No I was suggesting always look at your models for weird spots/dots in normals mode, it can help you tweak your normals settings, but also show you what needs manual touchup. Eventually you kind of intuit the kind of problem areas for the auto-normals to sort out and can either design to mitigate that (like the G6) or get in there and fix it by hand.

Funny how everyone tends to have an opinion about doing it by hand or automating, I believe most of the high output modders make all their voxels with 3ds2vxl and no longer do normals work themselves, but there was a time when every veteran did.

Anyway what I'm saying is as a rule, if your model looks good in normals mode, clear faces, sharp details, smooth large (curved*) faces, the model should look good in game with the right texture... texture is easy to perfect without screwing up the actual voxel at that point.

Last edited by G-E on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, I did completely miss-understood you, but now for sure I got it.

Thanks for your advises, now you have become my MENTOR Wink

But you know what is really needed as a general help from the veterans ?

To make video tutorials for us newbies, you know normal scripted tutorials are useless

look, you veteran people has been and still super generous by releasing all this public models, superb models and helping to counter problems that faces us
But the thing is simply, Don't give me a fish, Teach me how to fish

You got me, damn now you will say that I'm not grateful and thankless

But actually my idea will upgrade the level in the forum, but this is only if somebody is interested

oh shit, such a boring speech isn't it Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon