Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:46 am
All times are UTC + 0
Adding new cameos
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject:  Adding new cameos Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Tutorial Name: Adding New Cameos
Made by: Banshee
Dificulty: Easy

Attention! You can post this tutorial in any forum you wish (except arm-ent), as long as I'm credited. If you wanna post it in your site, ask me first by e-mailing to bansheeppm@hotmail.com.

Making New Cameos:

Cameo is the icon of the unit in the side bar. This tutorial will teach you how to make cameos in TS style.

Prerequisites: XCC Utilities, Paint Shop Pro and Cameo Kit.

Attention: I'm using the PSP 6.0 and I`ve never seen the earlier versions of it. If the feature that I specify doesn`t exist in your version, check for similar names.

Operation 1: Taking the Screenshot!

Your first step to make a cameo is to take an in game screenshot of the unit. You should be carefull with some few details, basic for screenshots:

1 - Colour: When you play a skirmish game, be sure that you will use the colour of your side (gold for GDI, red for Nod, etc...).

2 - AI Level: Choose the easiest one, so taking a screenshot of the unit will be easier for you.

3 - Facing: When you take the sceeshot, make sure that the unit is facing for south-west.

4 - Selection: When you take the screenshot, make sure that your unit is NOT SELECTED.

Operation 2: Extracting the Unit From The Screenshot.

Now open your screenshot with Paint Shop Pro and cut or copy the unit (the smaller you get, the better, but don`t cut the unit). Paste it as a new image. Now replace all references of the ground with the colour (4,4,4 - RGB). You should also load the cameo.pal on it on Load Pallete and then, save the file as .pcx with any name different from the final name of your cameo and close your new picture.

Operation 3: XCC Resizing.

Now open your XCC Mixer and select the cameo.pal from Tiberian Sun as pallete. Right click the picture of your unit and go to resize. Change the width of your picture to 62 and be sure that "Maintain Aspect Ratio" is checked, so your Height will also be changed with width.<br>

Operation 4: Paint Shop Pro Final Service.

Return to the PSP and load your new resized picture and load:

- blankinfantryicon.pcx if your new unit is an infantry.
- blankvehiclesicon.pcx if your new unit is a vehicle or a building.
- blankaircrafticon.pcx if your new unit is an aircraft.

Note: All these 3 files are located inside the Cameo Kit.

Now, click in your new resized picture and copy it and paste as transparent layer in the blank icon. Go to the Layer Pallete and right-click your new layer and merge it with the background. Load the cameo.pal just to confirm that it has a pallete. Edit the first colour of the cameo.pal (change the 0,0,0 to a purple or pink colour). In the view menu, zoom it twice by 5 and check if you see any purple or pink points. If you see them, replace them immediatelly with the sixth colour of the cameo.pal (4,4,4) to avoid Green Line Syndroms. When all purple or pink points are eliminated, edit the first colour of the pallete back to 0,0,0. Now, save your new cameo as your final cameo name (note that this final cameo name will be the name used in art.ini) .pcx and you can close the PSP.

Operation 5: PCX to SHP (TS)

Open XCC Mixer again and select the cameo.pal from Tiberian Sun as pallete. Right click your new cameo and select "Copy To SHP (TS)". Now, open your XCC Mix Editor and open your ecacheXX.mix (XX is a number between 02 and 99). Drag and drop your new shp file there and compact it. Now open your expandXX.mix (the same XX from ecache) and drag and drop your ecacheXX.mix there and compact it.

Final Operation: Art.ini

Now, open your art.ini and add the following line in the picture that will have the cameo:

Cameo=YOURNEWCAMEO

Attention: YOURNEWCAMEO should be replaced by the name of your shp file. Use caps and don`t put the .shp extension.

That`s it and have fun with your new cameo.

cameokit.zip
 Description:
In case the link for CameoKit doesnt work, we have our reserves...

Download
 Filename:  cameokit.zip
 Filesize:  5.58 KB
 Downloaded:  3413 Time(s)

Key Words: #Tutorials #SHPs #Cameos #TiberianSun #Firestorm #Graphics #Media #XCCUtilities #PaintShopPro #Art.INI 

Last edited by Banshee on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 4 times in total

Tapek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The cameo kit sucks. You can clearly see the black infantry outlines and stuff.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what do you mean?

Tapek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is the cameo kit the thing with the 'blank' infanty, vehicle, and naval icons?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Adding new cameos Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

Operation 3: XCC Resizing.

Now open your XCC Mixer and select the cameo.pal from Tiberian Sun as pallete. Right click the picture of your unit and go to [b]resize[/b]. Change the width of your picture to 62 and be sure that "Maintain Aspect Ratio" is checked, so your Height will also be changed with width.<br>

??? Question Confused

this seems to indicate that you resize cameos with XCC Mixer. how?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just follow the instructions you quoted. It's more efficient and the quality is better than PSP resizing...

Venom
Laser Commando

Location: Floating along the river Stix, just about inside Hades but not quite there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a question thingy about this tutorial, well rather something in the tutorial. I noticed that there was no blank building icon. would the vehicles be best for that or what?

[img]http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/download.php?id=953[/img]

the_kid
Cyborg Informer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account AIM Address
Fremen5
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you have to use PSP? I don't want to pay 80$ or somethin like that...

Sk8erkid
INSANE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Basically you can do this with any image editor that you can apply palettes with. PSP, photoshop, whatever

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try using Irfanview, it's freeware and can use the same kind of palettes that PSP uses.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
#The fREaK!
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is something I think is important not included in the tutorial:

If you have a unit/building that both GDI and Nod uses, and you want separate cameos for GDI and Nod, then instead of adding one cameo to ecacheXX.mix (02-99), add the gdi version to eXXsc01.mix and the nod version in eXXsc02.mix (XX=02-99),
Both cameos should have the same name. Then add/change the cameo entrie in art.ini as you normally would.

Fremen5
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can you use other images, like a photograph for instance? or a render? and how?

Venom
Laser Commando

Location: Floating along the river Stix, just about inside Hades but not quite there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the size has to be 64 tall by 48 wide

[img]http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/download.php?id=953[/img]

Fremen5
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, thanks Smile

Xiphion
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me use Corel, and a software My brother and his friends made, ( its not specifically for TS) but it works wonderful

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is that a special program for making SHPs? or just for image editing?

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i tried putting a ra2 and a ra2:yuri's revenge cameo in tiberian sun i put it in ecache02.mix and modified art.ini and made new vehicles but it just won't show:(

Skywalker
Soldier

Location: in the 41st century SE, thinking up a new chapter of my novel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, I have one question: Wouldn't it be simpler to take a screenshot in the HVA editor?
OS HVA editor has the following menu:
Tools

View Transform
-----------------------
Managers             >
Screenshots         >| Screenshot
-----------------------| etc...

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do not recommend this tutorial anymore. This was written in 2002 when HVA Builder did not exist. Today I either recommend OS SHP Builder cameo generator (check OS SHP Builder help file) or a combo of OS Voxel Viewer with OS SHP Builder as you may see at OS SHP Builder tutorials forum.

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Skywalker
Soldier

Location: in the 41st century SE, thinking up a new chapter of my novel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe I have worked out why not use the HVA builder screenshot tool

Seraphim_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  387.03 KB
 Viewed:  37007 Time(s)

Seraphim_001.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL!!! I dont like HVA Builder for these purpouses, because it's slower than OS Voxel Viewer.

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Insomniac
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might want to get rid of/replace the tutorial here. I wasted a couple hours following this tutorial only to find that the newest version of paint shop pro would not do what I needed it to do for the tutorial and finding out that there is a much easier way Mad

uri.91@mail.ru
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how to pack many images shp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon