Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:13 am
All times are UTC + 0
how to get the GDI ai to build the walls without bugs
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject:  how to get the GDI ai to build the walls without bugs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you're to lazy to scroll down : an example of the bughttp://www.ppmsite.com/forum/files/bugsy_says_hello_660.jpg

GOAL : eliminating an annoying component tower bug DIFFERENT from the one in banshee's tutorial
bad things about it : gdi walls are replaced with nod walls and gates,

from

NodAIBuildsWalls=no
AIBuildsWalls=no

to

NodAIBuildsWalls=yes
AIBuildsWalls=yes

this allows the ai to build walls

now to allow gdi to build nod walls && gates and change the ai's perceptions of wich walls he should build

from

ConcreteWalls=NAWALL,GAWALL
NSGates=NAGATE_B,GAGATE_B
EWGates=NAGATE_A,GAGATE_A

to

ConcreteWalls=NAWALL;,GAWALL
NSGates=NAGATE_B;,GAGATE_B
EWGates=NAGATE_A;,GAGATE_A

now ai won't try to build the gdi walls anymore

ok now for making the gdi walls non-buildable

just replace the current GAWALL entry with this one

; concrete wall
[GAWALL]
Name=Concrete Wall
Strength=150
;Prerequisite=GAPILE
High=yes
Armor=concrete
TechLevel=-1
Adjacent=4
;Wall=yes
Sight=1
Selectable=no
Insignificant=yes
Nominal=yes
Owner=GDI
Cost=50
BaseNormal=no
Points=5
Repairable=false
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
ThreatPosed=0 ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
IsBase=no

getting the nod walls available to both sides

; NOD wall
[NAWALL]
Name=Concrete Wall
Strength=150
Prerequisite=BARRACKS
High=yes
Armor=concrete
TechLevel=6
Adjacent=4
Wall=yes
Sight=1
Selectable=no
Insignificant=yes
Nominal=yes
Owner=GDI,Nod
Cost=50
BaseNormal=no
Points=5
Repairable=false
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
ThreatPosed=0 ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
IsBase=no

and here we are

the ai builds walls without building dozens of useless towers

Key Words: #Tutorials #Modding #TiberianSun #Firestorm #Rules.INI 

Last edited by Judeau on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:45 pm; edited 3 times in total

W/P
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but now GDI will build Nod walls?

ENGLAND 2006!!! HAWAY THE LADS!!!

Jah
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just give the GDI wall Image=NAWALL and dont ztype with it no more... But I still cant understand why do you want GDI to build Nod walls...

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is to prevent a component tower bug
i doubt changing the image of the gawalls would change the ai
and yes it does give gdi the nod walls

just try it with a fresh rules.ini set aibuildswalls to yes and you will see an interesting bug with the gdi

this is to fix that bug

i'll post a screenshot of said bug

bugsy says hello.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.48 KB
 Viewed:  40893 Time(s)

bugsy says hello.jpg

Last edited by Judeau on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

D
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought Banshee posted a successful tutorial of this ages ago...

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

D wrote:
I thought Banshee posted a successful tutorial of this ages ago...

that was another component tower bug

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why the hell dont you just make GAWALL into NAWALL,and NAWALL into GAWALL? copy the codes,keep the [NAME] the same.

W/P
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the AI places walls in ridiculous places anyway...I mean a random peice of wall in a tib feild?

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnotaurus wrote:
why the hell dont you just make GAWALL into NAWALL,and NAWALL into GAWALL? copy the codes,keep the [NAME] the same.

have you looked at the screenshot?

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WP wrote:
the AI places walls in ridiculous places anyway...I mean a random peice of wall in a tib feild?

that's because the ai is TRYING to make a square of walls around itself.....it just skips the locations that can't be built on

and it seems it tries to build as many walls as possible without hampering movement of its vehicles
if you have a completely flat terrain and no obstacles the ai will build the walls perfectly

Last edited by Judeau on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OR you can just comment out the component tower,make a new one(TSTW style,3 versions. one with the Vulcan, RPG,and the SAM one. it'd be so easy to do.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnotaurus wrote:
OR you can just comment out the component tower,make a new one(TSTW style,3 versions. one with the Vulcan, RPG,and the SAM one. it'd be so easy to do.

then i'd still need something for WallTower=
can't set it to no or put nothing there i even tried setting the component tower to non-buildable.....the ai would fill the ENTIRE FIELD with component tower bases.

with making the gdi walls unbuildable you don't have to worry about such things.
no crazy component towers. just bliss....kinda Razz

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really, it's best for the AI to not build walls. They'll get stuck inside their own base otherwise.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i haven't seen that happen yet...

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it's a definite possibility. There is also the possibility that blockages occur when they place walls around randomly like that picture you posted.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the ai makes gates as well

you do know they build walls and leave enough space open to move units...in the masses
their method of wall building gives an annoying layered defence.......i sent out a HUGE force and it got it's ass wipped while the ai had minimal casualties

in my mod walls and gates are FAR stronger wich causes walls to actually be a deterrent to attack...especially when the enemy has deployes some artillery and tick tanks. and has built some normal lasers.

btw the fact that all units get damaged more easily and that they are cheaper means you need a large attack that is almost perfectly coordinated to take down the enemy defences

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

However, do the AI build the gates in strategic places, like humans?

W/P
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

to make it behave like a human would be near impossible

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

true but i'm happy with the ai walls as it is......they at least pose a sort of challenge now when attacking

and different players have different styles of defences
the ai at least makes use of the walls in a good practical way....they also place the gates where they are needed.

EDIT : doesn't look half-bad does it?

walls.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.42 KB
 Viewed:  40787 Time(s)

walls.jpg

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's alot more easy way to fix tis; Just change "WallTower=GACTWR" to "WallTower=GAWALL" and the problem 'll be fixed without having GDI building Nod Walls or building compnent towers in the wall.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol true and that ai wall building is highly unadvise cos if they do get stuck it will lag the game to hell and with guard range = more hell.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
W/P
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is there not a way to emulate RA2s way of protecting certain buildings with walls?

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no cos its needs an non existent RA2 tag.

however there is a way to solve the path delay, lagging issues.

Making AI "clone" walls which don't use guard range.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Sorrow
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
There's alot more easy way to fix tis; Just change "WallTower=GACTWR" to "WallTower=GAWALL" and the problem 'll be fixed without having GDI building Nod Walls or building compnent towers in the wall.

It causes internal errors when building tower upgrades.

(I know this thread is old but its listed in the big list and someone may discover the inaccuracy of this advice the hard way just like I did)

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To quote myself from the other component tower bug's topic:
Bittah Commander wrote:
I was just browsing through the tutorials and found that this one doesn't really solve the problem, so I thought I'd just bump this topic and post the same method I've been using myself.

All you have to do is change "WallTower=" to an upgrade which doesn't have to be buildable to the player (if this upgrade is specified after "WallTower=", the AI will simply ignore TechLevel=-1 and build it anyway). If this upgrade isn't buildable to the player, just make it invisible (with Image=none) so you won't notice them.
Do make sure the building specified after "PowersUpBuilding=" exists and isn't too high up the tech tree (I'd suggest you either use the Construction Yard, Power Plant or Barracks).

If the GDI powerplant is still upgradeable with the power turbines as normal in your mod, just changing whatever is after "WallTower=" to the power turbine should fix this problem as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Bittah
As all the maps in DTA are flat, have you tried re-enabling AI build walls

I seem to remember a big part of their problem was they could not figure out placing walls when there was any sort of slope around

I imagine it would still be buggy, but possibly a nice enough feature (maybe even just for certain maps which have large open expanses of terrain around the AI starting location?)

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The AI never builds walls properly, not even on entirely flat maps. It places wall segments all over its base, which take room from actual buildings and this way clogs up the base. Besides, even DTA has obstacles like cliffs and water.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The obstacles aren't the problem though; the problem is when the AI leaves gaps in its walls because of an obstacle such as a ramp, which will then allow enemy units to get through and with obstacles such as trees and rocks this isn't an issue.

@SMIFFGIG:
I might look into enabling walls for DTA's AI once gates have been added (I have no idea when this will be however) and then we'll see whether it makes the AI play better or worse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon