Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Hamachi tutorial and General LAN setups
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [44 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:  Hamachi tutorial and General LAN setups Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have edited this post and quoted Fenring's tutorial how to play LAN game matches via Hamachi. Scroll to the bottom of this post if you have Vista or Windows 7. Thanks to Tony for this find. ~DonutArnold

Quote:
Unlike Judeau's, the images will actually be here! #Tongue
Bear in mind this is for Windows XP since Windows Vista and higher deprecated the IPX protocol. After some testing, m666 and I have determined that the RA2/TS LAN Patch does not work.

Install Hamachi. The latest version of it fixes the IPX protocol so no old versions are necessary; if this proves to be a misnomer, use version 1.0.1.1.

! The following works as good practice for standard LAN play but instead of Hamachi, use your main Local Area or Wireless Connection !

Open the Network Connections panel. You can either right click on My Network Places > Properties or go Start > Settings > Network Connections.

Either way, you should have something similar to this;

Now we need to install the protocol.
Right click Hamachi and select Properties and you will see this;

As the arrow indicates, click Install.

Then this screen will show;

Highlight Protocol and click Add.

The "Select Network Protocol" box will appear.

As the arrows indicate, highlight NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol and then click OK.

Then you will go back to the Hamachi properties main dialog.

The new protocol should be in the list; highlight the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol and click Properties.

The properties will appear and you will have several options.

Disregard the Internal Network number. It has no effect and should not be touched; set the Frame Type to Ethernet 802.2; then set the Network number to 00000001. Then click OK.

Windows will likely ask you to reboot, which you need to do.
If Windows does not ask, reboot anyway.

Enter your game of choice - Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2 or their expansions and go Options > Network. In the network card slot, set it to the card that shows 00 00 00 01 : xx xx xx xx.

Make sure you have a Hamachi channel/network and your players are connected before attempting to play a game.

Then hit the Network lobby and you should be good to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people still play on Windows 98, I know, I did up until two years ago. For those of you still running that archaic system, fear not! Wink

Firstly, Hamachi does not work on Windows 98/SE or ME. So that's already out but you can easily play a LAN game on it.

First, we need to install the IPX/SPX Protocol as we did before but it's a little different.

You need to open the Network properties, which you can do by right clicking Network Neighborhood > Properties or by going Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network.

However method, you'll get this;

As before, click Add to bring up Network Component Types install dialog box.

As the arrow indicates, highlight Protocol and click Add.

This is where things differ from Windows XP.

There is a box on the right with a list of choices, mine shows four but you need to highlight Microsoft, then IPX/SPX-Compatible Protocol and then click OK.

You will be brought back to the Network dialog once again.
In my sample, I have chosen the Dial-Up Adapter but this is where you choose your required network device - your network/Ethernet card. Then click Properties.

Your particular device's properties will appear.

As in the image, go to the NetBIOS tab and tick the box if it is not already.

Click over to your Advanced tab and you will see the main screen available.

As the arrows indicate, highlight the Frame Type and set it as Ethernet 802.2 as before.

Highlight Network Address and put in 1 instead of 0.

Click to the Bindings tab to ensure that NetBIOS is bound to that IPX/SPX connection and then click OK.

As with Windows XP, Windows will ask you to reboot, which you must do.
If it does not, reboot anyway.

Enter your game of choice - Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2 or their expansions and go Options > Network. In the network card slot, set it to the card that shows 00 00 00 01 : xx xx xx xx.

Then attempt a LAN game.
If issues persist, let me know and I will look more into it.

Vista and 7 fix:

Quote:
The following steps are the least you'll need to do in order to play most games:
How the metrics and the Hamachi properties should look like in Vista.

1. After installing Hamachi, run it once and insure you've configured your firewall properly and have set port forwarding on your router(s) (if you have one).

2. Re-prioritize your network adapter order:

For XP/2000: Start > Control Panel > Network Connections, then, on the menu bar, click Advanced > Advanced Settings and put Hamachi at the top of the list.

For Vista: Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center, then, on the left side panel, click on 'Manage Network Connections'. Now press Alt, click on Advanced > Advanced Settings and put Hamachi at the top of the list.

For Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center, then, on the left side panel, click on 'Change adapter settings'. Now press Alt, click on Advanced > Advanced Settings and put Hamachi at the top of the list.

3. Configure the gateway and metrics:

In Network Connections right click on Hamachi > Properties, select TCP/IP(v4) > Properties > Advanced. Ensure that the default gateway is 5.0.0.1, if not, then add/edit it and set its metric to Automatic (this is the Gateway Metric).
Below 'Default gateways' tick 'Automatic metric' (this is the Interface Metric).

Quick notice: Some users have reported that their internet connection fails when Hamachi is turned on. Removing the Hamachi gateway (5.0.0.1) should resolve the problem. It is not known why this is happening, but it might be the ISP's fault. Entering a Gateway Metric manually (for example, the default "1500") can restore the internet connection, but gaming functionality may still not be available.

4. If you're running Vista disable TCP/IPv6 (untick it in the Hamachi properties)

5. If you're running Vista ensure that Hamachi appears in the 'Network and Sharing Center' as a 'Private Network' .
If it doesn't, then press customize (at Hamachi, of course) and set it to 'Private Network'.

6. Reboot.

7. Create/Join a Hamachi network and check to see if you can ping/chat with one another. If either one of these don't work ensure you haven't forgotten anything and check again. Still not working? check section 3.1 and 3.2 of the 'Advanced Guide' below.

8. The game host must be running Vista when playing with XP users!

For those who want know where to find this and to view the advanced guide:

logmeinwiki.com

Last edited by Judeau on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 18 times in total

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In your Hamachi settings, disable "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Windows" to prevent people from getting access to shared stuff on your PC.

No one likes to get a ton of paper spit out of his printer with junk from someone halfway across the globe #Tongue

If you have problems chatting or connecting to a game while you DO see eachother in the lobby, and you have only one network card option in the TS network options, go to the Hamachi settings, open the settings of the IPX protocol and change the "Internal Network Number" to 00000001.
Press OK, then press OK again to enable the new settings. Then, open it again and change it back to 00000000. Oddly enough, that seems to fix the problem.

Last edited by Nyerguds on Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, there's a Linux port as well. Do you think this would allow for multiplayer TS to work through Linux? You see, shared internet components don't work on Linux.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WINE normally takes care of all network stuff... so it should be possible.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You wouldn't possibly know how to configure IPX would you, Nyer?

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, when you install, MAKE SURE to restart your PC, or its going to _NOT_ work correctly. #Tongue Learned that the hard way.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And then you pretended to rebootbut really didn't and whinedd some more Rolling Eyes

Anyway, not for Linux Alkov. Linux never needs reboots, not even if you update Linux itself to a next version. In Linux, you could do the equivalent of upgrading Win98 to WinXP without needing a single reboot #Tongue

Clazzy wrote:
You wouldn't possibly know how to configure IPX would you, Nyer?

In linux/Wine? Not a freaking clue. But from what I've heard from other people, RA1 seems to have no problems with network stuff on Linux.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erm, a kernel upgrade requires a reboot.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no it doesn't... I've done it in my Gentoo. auto-update with Emerge, and it just does it all. No reboot necessary

oh wait... right. You do need to reboot to actually USE the new Kernel. But not to install it :p

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For RA1, join this network:

Name: ratech
password: RAForever

Wink

If you use FullRA, make sure you DO install the 3.03 patch, and DON'T add the INI files.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the tutorial has been updated with some relevant stuff

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bump for ye lazy ones

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sticky!

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Sticky!

It appears it is now.

Jenkins
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OFF TOPIC-NESS!! What mod do you have running in the background? It looks interesting and it might be what you are talking about. If it is, then call me an idiot. (Sorry, I didn't & obviously put a lot of time into reading your descriptions.) Your descriptions are very good though. I will (when I have the time) come back for them.
Thanks!

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jenkins, get off our forum if you're too lazy to read, which is EXACTLY what you do on forums.

To EVERYONE ELSE! Hamachi version 1.0.2.1 has an IPX bug! In order for your YR, RA2, or TS to work online, you need to dig up and download Hamachi 1.0.1.5 for a fixed Hamachi network experience.

Judeau SHOULD update this sooner or later, but I'll keep posted on this issue and it's resolution.

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW you can find all the versions of hamachi here

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tutorial updated, it was desperately needed.

phoenixankit
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do you mean by
Quote:
fire up hamachi now, follow it's tutorial, and once done, Join the network "TS-Network" with the password "none"

What tutorial?
And If I want to create my own network, then after creating, my friend just joins it, and then we open the game, go to LAN(or whatever it is) and we should see each other there?

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phoenixankit wrote:
What do you mean by
Quote:
fire up hamachi now, follow it's tutorial, and once done, Join the network "TS-Network" with the password "none"

What tutorial?
And If I want to create my own network, then after creating, my friend just joins it, and then we open the game, go to LAN(or whatever it is) and we should see each other there?

hamachi has a small in-built tutorial on how to use it.

well, follow THIS tutorial, and you should be able to see each other once you are on the same network.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ORCACommander wrote:
The IPX bug has been fixed see http://hamachi.cc/changes for more details

no dice, last time we tested that it failed.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when was it last tested new version just came out yesterday

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
-------

* Added Korean translation

* Fixed a problem of automatic update on Vista

* Fixed a bug with double-clicking on the peer status indicator

* Fixed a bug with opening network chat window using a systray
notifcation

* Minor cosmetic UI changes

Never mentioned at all, unless you backtrack to 1.0.2.3. I also tested this new version, and got the same result as Judeau. Also; check on these things before randomly posting, some of us value Hamachi quite a bit. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Hemlig
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hemlig wrote:
This one is good to, for RA2/YR

You must be blind if you didn't notice that setting this up for both games is EXACTLY the same...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judeau, your pictures don't seem to be showing anymore - might be time for another update?

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is a major bump, but has anyone find a solution for this so Vista users can play TS online too?

Revolutionary
Commander

Location: Scotland, starting a Revolution Cameo: metricon. Posts:???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you have the lan patch?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK, lan =/= online, so no...

Revolutionary
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it worked for me if it dosent fix it try the Xwis wedsite

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes look for the UDP patch I believe there is a page referencing it on medenc.

EDIT Uploaded it for you

ts_ra2_lanpatch_1_00.zip
 Description:
put the dll in your sun/ra2 folder

Download
 Filename:  ts_ra2_lanpatch_1_00.zip
 Filesize:  23.18 KB
 Downloaded:  778 Time(s)

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try it when I've got some more time. Still thanks for the file Wink
EDIT: ok, when I try to start the game, it doesn't work: it gives an error and it quits Confused

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats odd your the first I've heard about that problem.

Revolutionary
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question have you patched the game you with any 3rd party patches or any other 3rd party software(eg no cd cracks)

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm using TI, which uses a custom exe. Maybe that's the problem? Also, it must work with TI, because I don't play original TS online Wink

Revolutionary
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

id try it with out the mod to see if it works then if it dose work wothout the mod then try it with

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another bump, the UDP patch does NOT work for RA2. I tested this throughly.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judeau, please update the images above. I want to kick Team Black's ass on TI Online. Razz

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not hard to set up without images.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is for people like me who know nothing about Hamachi.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has nothing to do with Hamachi; it has to do with Windows and connections. It's still not hard to do.

Though I agree, he should get the images back on the thread.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want me to keep doing your requests you should stop trying to make me look stupid. #Tongue

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [44 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon