:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Do you want to advertise at Project Perfect Mod. Find out how to do it HERE.

The time now is Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:20 pm
All times are UTC + 0
 Forum index » Modding Central » Red Alert 2 Editing Forum
Regarding IEs, where to ask?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
skelebembem
Civilian


Joined: 23 Sep 2021

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject:  Regarding IEs, where to ask? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorry for bothering anyone regarding this post as I might have posted this in an incorrect section, but please bear with me.

Where, or who, do I ask regarding IEs? I kept on getting random crashes after 'long games'. I did the following:

1. I made sure that every time I add something new to my mod I would run it three to five skirmish games especially involving the 'new thing'.
2. I checked ModEnc's library of IEs, the EIPs aren't there.
3. I ran -strict in RunAres.bat to check the incorrect stuff, nothing seems serious (I mean, it's comparable to others but they're running fine).
4. I checked Ares webchat and no one is there Sad

Help! Who do I ask? I tried my very best to be careful regarding IEs but no, still IEs Mad  It's ruining my (and my friends') experience in playing the mod Sad

On a side note, I also just wanted to make sure that my codes are running correct as I intend to post my generic warhead superweapon clones, I don't want to post wrong stuff.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G-E
Defense Minister


Joined: 09 Feb 2015

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Late game crashes are AI related almost always. The problem with diagnosing it, is that the actual code might be 100% valid, but the map determines it can't succeed, so it ends up in a unresolvable condition that clogs up whatever decision making queue.

Does the game every get sluggish or jerky just before the crash? That might indicate it's a pathfinging hangup, like it ran onto a patch of passable overlay on an impassable terrain, getting stuck, or it could be a specific building attack/move that is impossible to reach for the unit doing the attacking/moving.
_________________
http://www.moddb.com/mods/scorched-earth-ra2-mod-with-smart-ai

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CCHyper
Defense Minister


Joined: 07 Apr 2005

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding IEs, where to ask? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skelebembem wrote:
I'm sorry for bothering anyone regarding this post as I might have posted this in an incorrect section, but please bear with me.

Where, or who, do I ask regarding IEs? I kept on getting random crashes after 'long games'. I did the following:

1. I made sure that every time I add something new to my mod I would run it three to five skirmish games especially involving the 'new thing'.
2. I checked ModEnc's library of IEs, the EIPs aren't there.
3. I ran -strict in RunAres.bat to check the incorrect stuff, nothing seems serious (I mean, it's comparable to others but they're running fine).
4. I checked Ares webchat and no one is there Sad

Help! Who do I ask? I tried my very best to be careful regarding IEs but no, still IEs Mad  It's ruining my (and my friends') experience in playing the mod Sad

On a side note, I also just wanted to make sure that my codes are running correct as I intend to post my generic warhead superweapon clones, I don't want to post wrong stuff.


Hi skelebembem,

There are a select few people who are able to read the EXCEPT.TXT files, so you have two options;
    - Post a new topic requesting someone investigate the EXCEPT.TXT file for you. Might take some time before you get feedback though.
    - Jump in the Mod Haven Discord and post in the #yr-ts-modding channel, there are many active developers who can assist you there.


Hopefully someone will then be able to track down the source of your issues.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skelebembem
Civilian


Joined: 23 Sep 2021

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Late game crashes are AI related almost always. The problem with diagnosing it, is that the actual code might be 100% valid, but the map determines it can't succeed, so it ends up in a unresolvable condition that clogs up whatever decision making queue.

Does the game every get sluggish or jerky just before the crash? That might indicate it's a pathfinging hangup, like it ran onto a patch of passable overlay on an impassable terrain, getting stuck, or it could be a specific building attack/move that is impossible to reach for the unit doing the attacking/moving.


Hi, thank you very much for replying.

Back then (I think it was 2015), when I am working on the same private mod, Alex mentioned something similar to this, about an aeroplane trying to hit a Chronosphere that isn't supposed to be there, then it crashed. I cannot tell what really happened, as he said that it could have been an Ares issue and I should just ignore it.

I did "beef up" my AI though; should toning it down solve the issue? I don't want to ruin the gaming experience, after all.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skelebembem
Civilian


Joined: 23 Sep 2021

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding IEs, where to ask? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
skelebembem wrote:
I'm sorry for bothering anyone regarding this post as I might have posted this in an incorrect section, but please bear with me.

Where, or who, do I ask regarding IEs? I kept on getting random crashes after 'long games'. I did the following:

1. I made sure that every time I add something new to my mod I would run it three to five skirmish games especially involving the 'new thing'.
2. I checked ModEnc's library of IEs, the EIPs aren't there.
3. I ran -strict in RunAres.bat to check the incorrect stuff, nothing seems serious (I mean, it's comparable to others but they're running fine).
4. I checked Ares webchat and no one is there Sad

Help! Who do I ask? I tried my very best to be careful regarding IEs but no, still IEs Mad  It's ruining my (and my friends') experience in playing the mod Sad

On a side note, I also just wanted to make sure that my codes are running correct as I intend to post my generic warhead superweapon clones, I don't want to post wrong stuff.


Hi skelebembem,

There are a select few people who are able to read the EXCEPT.TXT files, so you have two options;
    - Post a new topic requesting someone investigate the EXCEPT.TXT file for you. Might take some time before you get feedback though.
    - Jump in the Mod Haven Discord and post in the #yr-ts-modding channel, there are many active developers who can assist you there.


Hopefully someone will then be able to track down the source of your issues.


Thank you very, very much! I shall join the Discord server.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Modding Central » Red Alert 2 Editing Forum
Jump to:  
Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

[ Time: 0.1485s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0064s) ][ Debug on ]