Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)
Joined: 15 Aug 2002
|Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:47 pm Post subject:
OpenRA Playtest 20221203 is now available!
Subject description: One vision, one purpose, and a better pathfinding to reach it!
|Hello everyone! A new version of
OpenRA has been released recently by their staff. For those unaware, OpenRA is a real-time strategy game engine that recreates the gameplay experience of Command & Conquer games. OpenRA is packaged with three mods: Dune, Tiberian Dawn, and Red Alert 1, which expands and improves the experience of the original games based on the development team's ideals. OpenRA works for Windows, Linux, macOS, and FreeBSD. Here is the official announcement from OpenRA's staff about OpenRA Playtest 20221203:
Welcome back, Commanders! After more than a year and a half, the OpenRA team proudly presents Playtest 20221203
. It is finally here!
There have been tons of massive changes under the hood, and with reduced contributor activity, it took us a very long time to catch and squash all those pesky bugs. With the help of our third-party mods and people testing the devtest builds, we believe we finally have a stable release on our hands. We are incredibly excited to showcase a number of new features and improvements that have been built up over the last year and a half:
HPF helps units to predict obstacles better ahead of them.
- One highlight feature is the new hierarchical pathfinder, which massively increases performance on large or more complex maps.
- Our new net code brings major improvements to multiplayer. Your games should feel much smoother and units more responsive in both low and high latency settings.
- We have added transient text notifications matching speech notifications. Now you can play without sound!
- The fairly recent Dune film has brought many players to Dune 2000 and a decently sized multiplayer community was born. With the feedback from the community Dune 2000 has received a number of balance and polish changes.
OpenRA now supports tilting on slopes!
- Tiberian Sun has also received its fair share of features and bug fixes. This time around the highlight is tilting on slopes.
Some of the more visible new features and improvements include:
- Measures against sound/notification overlap. No more u-u-u-u-unit lost
- Measures against spamming the multiplayer lobby and in-game chat
- The ability to mute players
- Support for disabling the chat in replays
- An in-game encyclopedia in Dune 2000
- New Red Alert missions
- Community balance changes for all mods
Notable changes for mappers and modders include:
- Automatic map reloading in the background
- A change to the way speed is calculated for ground units
- A new map format that includes the map preview (minimap) in the map versioning (map hash)
- Loaders for more audio formats (e.g., mp3 and ogg), and formats used by the remasters
- Many linting and documentation updates
As well as some other changes worth mentioning:
- Toolchain and changes to support the .NET 6 runtime
- A massive amount of upgrades to both in-game and client UI
- Many more hotkeys became rebindable
- Substantial progress towards localization
All in all, 615 pull requests were merged since the last release, and 552 issues were closed, bringing the total number of open tickets down by 141.
This post covered just a small subset of all the changes and improvements added since the last release. We encourage anybody interested in finding out more to read the full changelog
. Head on over to the download page
to install the new playtest and let us know what you think in the comments below, on our forum
, community Discord server
or on GitHub
. Happy playtesting!
You can find more information about OpenRA by visiting the Official Website. OpenRA is downloadable at This Address. That's all folks! Stay tuned at PPM for more news coverage on OpenRA!
Key Words: #News #OpenRA #PlayTest
Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!