Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Mod Manager
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject:  Mod Manager Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(never knew where to post this , oh welz, u do have the move button and delete Wink)

Last time i posted a poll about mod managers and one reason ppl didn't like them was the fact that could screw up the game, im now wondering if u think that a mod manager that backs up every file it deletes would make some ppl use a mod manager (basicaly this would eliminate the chance of ur game being screwed, if u thought the mod manager screwed it up u could restore a backup........) also wondering about having a log feature that logs everythign it does........

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

kopaka649
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well its a goood idea...

dougfunie
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem is the bad reputation Mod Managers already have as a whole. You'd have to gether alot of proof, screenshots, logs, and testimonies to get the user to even consider giving it a try knowing their past history.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
hellfire
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll use it if u need people to test it out.

All hail me

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah good idea

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice idea, Stu Smile It really becomes safer for me Wink (although I manually do it when testing a mod manager Wink)

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is only one thing bugging me, for backups would the program keep saving in different folders backups, or woudl it only save one backup and then delete it the next time the mod manager is run?

o and its impossible for it to screw up the game for one reason, it(talkign about SMM3) only searches for files with the ext's of stuff liek vxl's, which arn't int he main dir but in mix, files #Tongue so it has to b safe....... ofcorce if someone shoved a game file in there mod, it would overwrite the game file n then the mod manager would delete it but that would b a stupid modder.

EDIT: i have modifyed SMM3(Stusworld Mod Manager 3) so that it now backs up files it finds that are not mods it has installed b4, also a basic log has been added, it currently doesn't save anything to ur hd but if u run a mod etc u can view the log of what it did.

P.S i havn't rearly tryed using SMM3 with YR or RA2.....

EDIT2: if anyone wants to test the latest ver go here http://stusworld.czeroxweb.com/smm3_0_0_2.zip 650kb approx.

kopaka649
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

backups are very useful and sorry i dont have ra2/yr

i would try it but i lost my ts cd Confused #Mad
oh well ill get a new one its only $10 or less

and btw it would be cool if your mod manager would support renegade cuz i get confused every time i want to delete a skin

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i know nothing on renegade mods.....

kopaka649
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should get renegade its only $15 canadian now which really pisses me off cuz ra2 costs more

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have every CnC game not including Generals. I just know nothign about modding Renegade.

kopaka649
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stucuk wrote:
o and its impossible for it to screw up the game for one reason, it(talkign about SMM3) only searches for files with the ext's of stuff liek vxl's, which arn't int he main dir but in mix, files #Tongue so it has to b safe....... ofcorce if someone shoved a game file in there mod, it would overwrite the game file n then the mod manager would delete it but that would b a stupid modder.

What about files that were in the wrong palette?

stucuk wrote:
i have every CnC game not including Generals. I just know nothign about modding Renegade.

Renegade is very different from the other C&C games...in gameplay because it is FPS not RTS and in modding because they changed the file system they used to use.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"What about files that were in the wrong palette?"
elaberate, this mod manager doesn't edit game files, and if ur on about something for YR or RA2 then it only have BASIC features for them, its designed for TS.

i do knwo that shp's have a pallet, yet i fail to see the relevence. all files for TS are kept in mix files and my mod nanager don;t touch these files. hence how it can;t screw up the game. it only looks for ini files that are mod ones(built in list) so that it doesn't delete ur sun.ini fiel with ut TS res n stuff.

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok in RA2/YR some of the stuff that was unused, but ledft in the mix files are in the TS palettes instead of the RA2/YR palettes.

What did you mean by?
Quote:
ofcorce if someone shoved a game file in there mod, it would overwrite the game file n then the mod manager would delete it but that would b a stupid modder.

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i.e someoen put sun.exe into a mod, i was just pointing out that this would b the only way i know of that it would screw the game, tho noone would add a "main" game file.

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

someone included sun.exe in a mod?!?!?

Laughing lol Laughing

EDIT: I think it was a TS mod from what was siad earlier here.

Last edited by Kravvitz on Sun May 04, 2003 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

kopaka649
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

which idiot would do that?

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

to my knowlage none has, n i never said anyone had.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!