Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am
All times are UTC + 0
OS Font Editor
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject:  OS Font Editor
Subject description: It's about damn time.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heck, it's almost been a decade since RA2 came out and the only people who managed to edit the game font were the AlliesRevenge dudes (afaik).

The only project that seemed to be serious was that by Siberian GRemlin, but that was for RA1 and besides it's cancelled.

So here you are, a tool to edit RA2's game.fnt!

This is some crappy WIP version. The program's functionality is complete (for RA2's game.fnt), but it looks awful and besides I want it to support more formats (there are two different formats in the RA2 mixs, fonT and FoNt, I will code stuff for FoNt pretty soon, right now I'm tired).

So I'd really appreciate it if somebody could upload the TS font file so I can create a format breakdown and make this tool support it.

This version only reads the first 512 characters out of the file and doesn't display the first 31 for editing (they aren't readable anyway). Actually, there are like thousands (chinese and stuff... I found no Cyrillic or Greek though which surprised me).
The first 512 should be all you need.

The program explains itself.
Just note that the "Save" button is for the character you're currently editing. To save the whole file, you gotta go File -> Save...
I didn't get to add a toolbar or something yet.

So just pull out game.fnt out of your RA2 mixs, put it into the RA2 dir and edit it.
And please somebody test it for TS, maybe the format's the same.

This will be open source with v1.00 which should still take a while #Tongue
And beware: I made it in VB6 'cause I hate Delphi.
There you go.

osfe01.PNG
 Description:
"S" for "Smile" :)
 Filesize:  8.23 KB
 Viewed:  19725 Time(s)

osfe01.PNG

osfe02.PNG
 Description:
What it looks like...
 Filesize:  18.14 KB
 Viewed:  19725 Time(s)

osfe02.PNG

osfe_001.rar
 Description:
The tool. No installer, just a binary.

Download
 Filename:  osfe_001.rar
 Filesize:  22.84 KB
 Downloaded:  1107 Time(s)

VK
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And beware: I made it in VB6 'cause I hate Delphi.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I will test your tool Smile

tobiasboon46
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why I can only open game.fnt???
Others (like metal12.fnt) say it's a wrong ext!!

Err...the image above means no offence to the american people...It's a bit of what I feel about it's gov't >_>

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wrote:
So here you are, a tool to edit RA2's game.fnt!

The fnt formats aren't the same.
game.fnt is "fonT" while the others are "FoNt", I still got to make the tool support more.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HE! HE! thats pretty cool! Razz

About TS... I couldnt find a game.fnt... but with a little looking it looks like the text in TS is based off shp's and pcx's... take a look at files in the zip. But i did add some .fnt files i found...

font.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.58 KB
 Viewed:  19670 Time(s)

font.PNG

TSFNTS.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TSFNTS.zip
 Filesize:  362.35 KB
 Downloaded:  564 Time(s)

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should make something that will convert any installed windows truetype fonts to these game font bitmaps at the right size etc all in one go.

if you figure out how to do that then please let me know how because i've been trying to do that for my program but all i managed to do so far is get it to draw the fonts on screen but not onto a texture.

btw can these game fonts have multicolors and antialiasing?

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The truetype stuff is one of the aims of course Smile
But first I want the program to support as many formats as possible.
Converting can be done afterwards.

Colors and AA aren't possible with the RA2 fnt files, because the characters are 24x16 monochrome bitmaps (one bit per pixel).

Oh and thanks MadHQ, I'll have a look at them Smile

EDIT:
Argh, seems the TS formats are entirely different.
Gotta reinstall TS then <.<

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't Russian versions of RA2 and TS have Cyrilic alphabet too? I'd like to use it to translate RA2 to Bulgarian.

Good job PD, welcome back Smile

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know the Unicode IDs for Cyrillic letters.
But among the first 0x7FFF, there are none.

Why welcome back? I've never been gone #Tongue

I found the program to have a few "problems" which actually aren't any problems, errrm, well:
The letters I (upper case i) and l (lower case L) use the exact same monochrome bitmaps in the file. That means if you edit and save I, you edit l as well, and vice versa.
Besides it seems that the program can't save several letters for a reason I didn't figure yet.

So before I continue working on other formats I should get this one working.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PaD: Check my PM yet?

My small contribution to OS Font Editor, an icon.

If you have suggestions or ideas for a different icon, add me on MSN and we can talk there. The actual .ico file is complete, poke me for it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah awsome, i was waiting until someone worked out the new Font Format!

Creagor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good pd!

The TS fonts are not used for the GUI, as said, they are controlled by PCX files. The TS fnt's are used for the ingame things and the "score" screen you get when you win/surrender a skirmish. And yes, the TS fnt's are different from the RA2 ones.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PaD wrote:
I found the program to have a few "problems" which actually aren't any problems, errrm, well:
The letters I (upper case i) and l (lower case L) use the exact same monochrome bitmaps in the file. That means if you edit and save I, you edit l as well, and vice versa.
Besides it seems that the program can't save several letters for a reason I didn't figure yet.

So before I continue working on other formats I should get this one working.

A simple decision - why not make the upper case I have those pixels on the side, like the letter used here?

Quote:
I don't know the Unicode IDs for Cyrillic letters.
But among the first 0x7FFF, there are none.

Ah, that's too bad. But will you try to find them? I think Siberian_GRemlin might give them to you if you ask him. You will have all Slavic people's eternal gratitude (well, modders anyway :p)

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fixed the program, you can now separate letters from others which share the same bitmap.
Also you can now edit all of the 65,536 characters available.
Besides all the saving/loading problems (there are some in 0.01) are resolved as well.

I still have to fix a few things so a second WIP version should come in the next 48 hours.

BTW, there aren't any Cyrillic letters inside game.fnt.
In the exe's internal language list, Russian is not listed, because RA2 was never officially released in Russian.
Well, people can work on a Russian version now Smile

My next post here will contain the updated tool including Icy's logo.

Last edited by pd on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Siberian GRemlin
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PaD wrote:
Well, people can work on a Russian version now Smile

Thanks, but I'm do it few years ago! Cool Russian language mod for RA2, TS, RS1, TD, etc can be downloaded from my homepage (only russian).

ra2_rus.jpg
 Description:
Main menu of RA2 with russian localisation.
 Filesize:  127.71 KB
 Viewed:  19552 Time(s)

ra2_rus.jpg

Westwood Studios forever!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, I'd enjoy seeing the text in finnish Laughing

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sorry (and lazy) but can some upload a freash GAME.fnt? Thank you #Tongue

BTW: I love the idea of a fnt editor, I will come in handy! Very Happy

Last edited by Dupl3xxx on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Siberian_GRemlin, can you send the Cyrilic files to PaD, please? I would like to make a Bulgarian mod.

PaD, great progress Smile

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have now modyfied EVERY letter and number, use if you'll like. Sorry now SS, maby later today #Tongue

game.rar
 Description:
Here it is :P

Download
 Filename:  game.rar
 Filesize:  457.87 KB
 Downloaded:  600 Time(s)

lionRA2forums
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can this  font be used in Photoshop?

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lionRA2forums wrote:
Can this  font be used in Photoshop?

Uhh... if it was usable in anything except the game, they probably wouldn't have needed to make their own editor for it.

Congratulations on bumping a ten-year old thread, by the way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum