Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am
All times are UTC + 0
SR-71 Blackbird
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EricJP65
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject:  SR-71 Blackbird
Subject description: My first voxel attempt
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've known Desu/Dustin for way too long, and he finally convinced me to put up this voxel I made tonight, spent an hour actually making it, and then another two hours getting the color right, it is as close to 'scale' as possible, in terms of dimensions to each other. My first attempt at it, all black turned out like this...

After a few tries, adding texture, changing some part colors, adding 'random' colors to break up the lines, it came out to...

So Dustin told me to post the finished voxel here, wondering if I am any good at it or not, it's definitely different than making 3-D models in Maya.

SR-71-post-v2.VXL
 Description:
The SR-71 Voxel, just a basic simple Voxel for my first time

Download
 Filename:  SR-71-post-v2.VXL
 Filesize:  39.24 KB
 Downloaded:  657 Time(s)

Last edited by EricJP65 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i like it, very nice, you should post an animated gif so that we can see it at all the angles. i think its great tho, very nice job

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol Spotlight it.

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh my god, I need my spotlight image...

EricJP65
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: The 360 image Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the 360 image, I tried to get a good angle.

Last edited by EricJP65 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea thats definately ztyping awesome, it needs to be spotlighted immediately

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahah, Spotlight this thing... It's friggen' beautiful. Wink

EricJP65
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:  O.O Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Von Kripple tells me that this spotlight thing is pretty impressive, and I'm honestly shocked. I just picked up VXLSE3 about 20 minutes before I started making it, did a few boxes and lines to figure out how the menus and such worked, pulled up a few SR-71 images and a ruler, and set about making it, an hour later, I had the basic all black with a few textures, talked with Desu about what was wrong and what was needed to be done, installed RA2 (Reformatted my computer since I last played it) and started testing it, took about 5 tries before getting it to look the way it did, changing colors and textures, all in all, 3 hours of work overall, with about 20 minutes of poking and random clicking to learn, and I finished it. Shocked

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, dude; It is a very good voxel... People would get the idea it wasn't your first. Wink

But still, it's friggen' awesome. Razz
Someone deserves a pat on the back. Wink

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From that gif you posted up, I can see that your voxel is not centered. After examining the file, the model also has a good amount of empty space all around the voxel.

The other problem is that you have too many 1-voxel wide areas on the model which are very bad for normals. Though it isn't much of a problem for an all black voxel.

Overall, good model, but you need to read up on voxeling a bit more, there are too many technical mistakes.

I'm sure you noticed that the model didn't exactly look right when it turned in-game.

I've attempted to correct all the errors.

SR-71-post_modded.vxl
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SR-71-post_modded.vxl
 Filesize:  41.03 KB
 Downloaded:  290 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
EricJP65
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll go back and resize the voxel, I just did it now, edited the original post for the new .VXL file, I did know about the 1vxl problem that can happen, but I tried it with just the one layer to see how it would look in game, it's almost 1:30am my time at the moment, so tonight I won't try to make it a two layer to test, but tomorrow I'll get to it. I'll look into whatever I can find on voxeling, but any advice, hints or points in the right direction would be helpful.

edit: I didn't notice that you had the file posted, and I edited my own before I downloaded yours. x.x

EricJP65
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: "Finished" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mkay, I went through, got rid of the dead space, got rid of all the 1vxl thick areas, added in a Remap, made a Cameo for it, as well as the .hva

This is how it turned out..
360:

and Ingame:

Hope that's all the issues with it.

SR71A.rar
 Description:
Contains SR71A.VXL, SR71A.HVA and SR71A.SHP

Download
 Filename:  SR71A.rar
 Filesize:  5.75 KB
 Downloaded:  1187 Time(s)

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spotlight this beauty.

Oh, and do moar, plz #Tongue

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like the real thing!

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks very nice, EricJP65, good work. I do believe this is worth spotlighting.

@Eric: I see you're unfortunate to know Desu as well? #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Tyler Adams
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modder666 wrote:
This looks very nice, EricJP65, good work. I do believe this is worth spotlighting.

Agreed..

Modder666 wrote:
@Eric: I see you're unfortunate to know Desu as well? #Tongue

.. I'm quite sure you know both. Smile

PS: Ric, your sig sucks. -_-'

"Banned" RP here

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[offtopic]Meh, you're just mad because it's the truth. I'll remove it when you decide to get over it and reopen communications.

Stop spamming this, leave this to PMs, or MSN.[/offtopic]

[ontopic]Hey, Eric, if you're gonna use a map to show off, try and go for something less bright. It'll help show the real coloring of the 'bird itself.(just advice for teh future)[/ontopic]

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
EricJP65
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The map I used was the first allied campaign, I simply renamed it FALC.VXL and put it in the RA folder, but I'll look around in my files for the map editor to create a map that I can test it out on, or if you have any reccomendations for lighting settings or a skirmish map that would be best for lighting, would be appreciated.

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do believe this is now arranged, and that Morpher needs to come spotlight this naow.

Harv
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't really like it, its been done before, its bland and boring, to dark, and just pain not original enough for a spotlight

for a first voxel it pretty damn good, but i wouldn't spotlight it.

sorry man

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to say, he's right, it has definitely been done before.
Otherwise, this is a GREAT first voxel.
I mean look at my first one, and I put it in the voxel competition, (and sadly I wasn't last) and it's crap.
<I'll upload a pic in a sec>

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
I have to say, he's right, it has definitely been done

And how many Mammoth Tank/Apocalypse Tank remakes are spotlighted in the spotlight forums? Muldrake's CC3 Mammoth Tank, IVI's Stegodon, Stingerrr's Apocalypse, probably more if you bother to look. Rolling Eyes

Raptor8
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SPOTLIGHT!
thats your first voxel, no way!

-Wraith88 on EA forums

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very nice, voxel. And as many people have stated.. worth a spotlight.

Spotlighted

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Congratulations, Dude... First voxel and spotlighted... Do you have any idea how impressive that is? Shocked

Harv
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i still have to say i don't like it...

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

harv wrote:
i still have to say i don't like it...

Your just mad you didn't make it. Razz

EricJP65
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Thank you all for thinking my first Voxel is good enough to be spotlighted, now my only problem is hoping all my others live up to the expectations some of you have now of me. Embarassed

To Harv: We all have our opinions and I respect yours. Smile

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like stated above: MAKE MOAR!!!1!

*cough*

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love it! I am going to use it in my mod!

*thinks*

Do you want to join my mod EricJP65?

EricJP65 wrote:
...now my only problem is hoping all my others live up to the expectations some of you have now of me. Embarassed ...

I cann't wait to see more >] But hey, I hove only realised one voxel, and it got spotlighted! but I hove made hundreds!

EricJP65
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome to use it in your mod, as long as there's a little thing about where it came from Laughing

And as for joining a mod, right now, I'm not looking to join a mod, I'm going to give it a try to see if I can actually do a request rather than something I want to do, and have it come out the way the person wants.

I do have a second Voxel almost finished, but I'm going on vacation starting Tomorrow for all of a full week, so I'll put it up when I get back and have time to finish the .hva and cameo for it.

Jeeves
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Show us the cameo!

MSN Status: (if says mobile, talk anyway)

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's in the download #Tongue

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I understand Wink

You tell me if you want to join #Tongue Cann't wait to see your next voxel Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!