Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:37 am
All times are UTC + 0
What I'd like to see...
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject:  What I'd like to see... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...some lazy programmers out their get off their arses and do.

Sometimes I just get so angery #Mad when I see all the opportunities for excellent programs for editing TS that no one has created yet. That, and the terrible bugs that could easily be fixed in the ones we do have...

I'm going to begin my rant with a few ideas I had that would make creative modding much easier, for TS and RA2.

SHP Editor:

First of all, pretty much everyone has a bone to pick with SHP editing. Why must it be so friggin' hard? You have to spend hours converting filetypes, adjusting colors to suit pallets and etc., especially if it's a large animation, like an infantry unit. Not only that, but you have to have an expensive program like PSP7 to do half of it.

Well, no longer, thanks to the Immaginary SHP Editor 3000! With the ISE3, you have all the comforts of MSPaint, with double the features! Copy&Paste, instant color swap, pallete matching, multiple frame manager, AND MORE! (WHA? DID YOU SAY MOOOORE?)

Ok, I'll cut the crap, but basicly, this would be sort of easy to make and it would save all of us a pain in the butt, it'd also make infantry creation a heck of a lot easier. Let me run by you what I have to do when I make an infantry unit: First, I painstakingly copy and paste every frame that I need from the base unit, then I edit them into my own infantry unit. I finish all of my frames, which are all layed out in one big paint file. Then, I piece together the shadows and the images, and copy each and every one of the 160+ frames, one by one, into PSP where I convert the pallete and save them as individual .pcx files. Then, I convert all of them to a single SHP (finally) with the XCC mixer. And then, wouldn't you know it, there's usually a shade of red that for some reason decided to stay red instead of become remap. So, I have to replace that shade with a different shade in every single frame, and start over again at the part where I copy them into PSP.

An all-in-one SHP editor would make this so much easier. At the moment, it takes about 2 weeks to make a single infantry unit. With the all-in-one editor, I immagine it would take half the time. Which is even better news for you RA2 infantry makers, since they have more frames.

It would have to be built in MSPaint style, with copy and paste features, and the option of editing all the frames at once, in one big spreadout, with a tool that automaticly replaces a specified color in every frame (or just some) with another. An automatic re-size would be nice too, for converting RA2 units. And of course, the ability to arrange the frames however you want would be imperative.

Honestly, it wouldn't be that hard for some of you talented programmers out there... Just... nobody wants to do it. #evil

The Pre-viewer:

This one's a new idea. It would have the ability to test things from the perspective of the Tiberian Sun game. For instance, ever made a voxel and wondered what a certain thing would look like ingame, but you don't want to boot up the game over and over again to see what looks best, etc. Well, this program would allow you to view it in-game without actually going in-game. It could even be incorporated into the VXL editor. I know, that one sounds like it's just for lazy people, but no, far from it:

I'm sure SMIFFGIG will testify that getting turret coords and FiringFLH's and pretty much any art coords exactly right is a MAJOR pain. This program would have a mode to allow you to place your turret exactly where you want it to be on your base or tank or whatever, and it would give you the coordinates for that location. It would of course have a rotating view so as to make sure it looks just right. It would also allow you to set where the projectile leaves the weapon on any unit or structure... and of course feed you back the coords for that as well. And it would have numerous other uses as well.

And one major MAJOR use, would be incorporated into FinalSun. A view-in-TS mode. It would pretty much only be used for lighting. So you can adjust the lighting to get it JUST right, which is ESPECIALLY useful with dynamic lighting (as I'm sure SMIFF would testify to as well).

The All-In-One VXL Editor:

Last but certianly not least, I'm sure ALL of us at some point have wanted to kick our computers because of how annoying VXL editing can be. You're stretched out over 5 different programs if you want to get anything looking right. We have all the features (or at least most of them) Now why can't we have them all in ONE program??? Would it be that hard to have a program with the classic Will's VXL Editor viewing style, a 3D viewer, advanced editing tools (like line-drawing and shapes, etc.), Auto-Normals, and a decent header editor?

And there's other features, too, that I'd love to see, like copy and paste sections (would be extremely EXTREMELY useful for texturing) and..... ok I forgot the rest, it's late, but still! Wouldn't it be cool???

My friends, these things and more are possible, if only someone would just do them...... Rolling Eyes

Ok, I'm done rambling, good night.
~FM

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here, here!

I wish someone would get the source code for Will's SHP Editor and SHP Builder and combine them, fix bugs, and add a few features.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

have sweet dreams, FM... Wink... Errr, really, I would try to do them if I could (have time)....

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like I said before, we just need to kidnap Olaf and Koen, then force them to make programs for us!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, stucuk can also do it... he is a great programmer...

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that we're talking about vxl editing... i have no idea how to view/edit the next layer in a vxl in Will's editor? (or even VXL Section editor). I use Deluxe Voxel editor for that... it has everything you need. Just no autonormals...

FireStorm
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in will's use Shift+Z,Shift+X,Shift+Y to move between vxls layer, height,length and width...

http://www.tiberiumsun.com/tsr/

Damn...Tutorials Links Doesnt Works Anymore

hellfire
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to see a script like flyby's(sp?) for Gmax.

All hail me

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

all exporting functions from GMAX were cut from free users. You have to buy the developer pack sold by Discreet and make your script. But here goes my tip: Convert your model to .w3d and load it with 3Ds Max Wink.

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Btw, there's a very annoying bug with either the vxl editor or the HVA editor that has really been a thorn in my side... Every time you make a new voxel or even just modify an existing one, it extends one of the sides by doubling the very last layer. If you look at it, staring down the front, the right or left side will look a little lop-sided.

Anyone know a way to fix this, or what causes it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon