Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:19 am
All times are UTC + 0
Crapped map
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
dagreatkane
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:  Crapped map
Subject description: BOO
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I just made my first map. With tiberium fields and civilian buildings and stuff. But then, it can't work on skirmish! What is wrong with my idiotic map? Is it cuz I put tiberium patches on small hills?

Note: I already set it to multiplayer.

Can anyone help me see wads wrong? Mad

Broken map.JPG
 Description:
My minimap
 Filesize:  11.82 KB
 Viewed:  7615 Time(s)

Broken map.JPG

tiberium twilight.mpr
 Description:
The map itself

Download
 Filename:  tiberium twilight.mpr
 Filesize:  190.38 KB
 Downloaded:  288 Time(s)

geekspeek
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tib on slopes

This mod is dead!
Ackron wrote:
It would be good if it was better.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's repetitive and too equal...

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you put it in the SUN directory, I wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn'y show up...
(you did put it in the directory, right? #Tongue )

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

dagreatkane
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It shows up it just goes tiberian sun has encountered an internal error after everything has loaded. The loading screen finishes and the tib world's most hated text box pops out.

Yay it worked I just dumped the cliffs and everything worked perfectly. I just owned ai level 2s on TS dusk on it. A bit too much tiberium though.

Please man, this is just my first map. So don't criticize ok

Well not too much anyway

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This isn't a map!!!
We do not call those kind of maps... well - a maps.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, good job on getting the basics of FinalSun down, there's a whole ton of cool stuff you can do with it.

scour through the tutorials, and you'll find some useful tips on making good maps. Myself, I king of learned by looking at the OMC maps, and the results.
It gets you aware of common mapping mistakes, and are superb examples of what good quality maps are like.

Keep on truckin, dude!

The Team Black Index

warlord
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahh, you'll get better with practice. Smile Trust me my first try was waaaay worse than that Embarassed

yes the pic says it all do not do what the arrow is pointing at which is: Putting tiberium on slopes

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.75 MB
 Viewed:  7539 Time(s)

1.png

Signature By Aro^

"So long as there are men, there will be wars." - Albert Einstein.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

warlord, dude, when you post pics, be sure to make em as small as possible, showing just enough to prove your point Wink
It's taking 2 forevers getting them to show Rolling Eyes

but yea, tiberium on slopes a real bugger sometimes...

The Team Black Index

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, you need to crop them in paint, it can be annoying to see all those 1280x1024 pixels or whatever, you run on.

dagreatkane
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh damn something went stupidly wrong with my new map. How the hell do you get any walls to turn cuz they're all facing the same way so i cant make a proper...perimeter.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for walls in FinalSun, there's the "overlay" walls, and the "building" walls...
you want to use the walls in the "buildings" section. I think that'll solve your problem...

The Team Black Index

geekspeek
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

geekspeek wrote:
tib on slopes

No one ever listens to me..............

Fortunately, other people noticed this too.

on-topic:
Keep working, man. There's a whole lot of cool stuff you can do with FinalSun, and with no practice you can easily surpass my mediocre mapping abilities, while with a little bit of practice and a smidgen of creativity, you can create some pretty amazing shit.

This mod is dead!
Ackron wrote:

dagreatkane
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I dumped the cliffs cuz I specially put tiberium on every cliff. So I listened, Geekspeek.

As for the walls, I did put them in using the buildings tab nod walls but the walls all face the same way. This is REALLY troublesome cuz how am I supposed to make a base with a nice perimeter if the walls look weird?

Close up.JPG
 Description:
close up
 Filesize:  13.51 KB
 Viewed:  7484 Time(s)

Close up.JPG

wall all same.JPG
 Description:
walls!
 Filesize:  36.9 KB
 Viewed:  7484 Time(s)

wall all same.JPG

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some things in FinalSun will look different than they will in game...
do a test run on the map ingame, and it there should be a perfect wall there.

The Team Black Index

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't see why people start asking questions before they check themselves in-game.

geekspeek
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because he assumed that FS depicted things like they would look in-game - an honest mistake which I'm sure just about everyone has made at least once.

This mod is dead!
Ackron wrote:

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

o__O....

Look under the Overlay Section.-> Other! NOT the building section then walls should arrange themselves according how you place them...99.9% of the time. >.>

-yea if only. but FS comes pretty damn close, all it needs is lighting. voxel rendering and .shp animation. ^.^

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pynk is correct Wink use the walls in the overlay section as they will connect automatically in finalsun while the ones in the building section dont. however the only difference is that you cant assign the walls a player if you use the overlay nor can you attach triggers to them then #Tongue (which really only matters in SP though)

also tib on cliffs dont IE its tib on slopes. Wink and actually its hard to find and i mean EXTREMELY hard to find but in the overlay section there are overlay pieces for tib on slope. i found it personally as i knew there had to be somewhere and i managed to get it on the correct slope. however it is quite hard to find and until there is a fix it will remain that way. (*hint* to a person like TitanMarkII or Yoshi or someone else*hint*)

anyways i suggest you dump the idea of flat maps though Wink your best bet to get good at mapping in the eyes of people here are to make maps with cliffs and hills and that are detailed. To help you placing cliffs use Marble Madness. and on the hills (slopes) just simply remember to not place tib on them. also remember to not make the maps symmetrical. symmetrical maps are ugly here. also remember to place cliffs and hills first then tiberium and other stuff like it.

good luck with future mapping Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon