Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am
All times are UTC + 0
Attention: PPM is no longer a Blue Zone!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [67 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject:  Attention: PPM is no longer a Blue Zone!
Subject description: Happy new year! ... with a happy new layout!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy new year everyone!

In 2007, PPM has returned to its old blue style. We are starting a new year, with a completely new look. This new layout made by Muldrake was inspired on Command & Conquer 3.

But this layout doesn't simply includes a new look. It also comes with some new features. The most noticeable of them is that, if you click on any menu, it expands with its options. So, the site is no longer cluttered with options. It simply shows them on demand.

And, of course, the categories were re-organized, some links updated and featured area includes new cooler icons.

I hope it is a nice start for 2008 and there will be more good things incomming, although my primary focus will be on my final project for the university (which is the reason I left Revora).

Anyway, in the name of PPM, we wish a happy 2008 for everyone. If the year of your calendar is different than 2008, we wish you a late happy new year for you as well.

Key Words: #ProjectPerfectMod #News #PPMForums #HappyNewYear #Forum 

Last edited by Banshee on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:22 am; edited 2 times in total

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..Is there a way to get the old one back? I preferred it.

XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks fine, I actually like it.. BUT I would love to see our old forum layout back.. you know back in the day #Tongue

ayylmao on Discord

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about the forums, will we ever get a good new look? Oo Woot 1000 posts, 4 years later #Tongue

ayylmao on Discord

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new version looks great. Very slick. Excellent work Muldrake!

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the new look. It is interesting. Though it did take a bit longer to load it up or at least it seemed to me.

Great job guys. Smile

Though I did notice something interesting....although I am sure its an edit thing you guys are still doing. But at least in the Spotlighted maps part of the Tiberian Sun section of the main page some maps show up 2 times. I think this is because you guys are going through and adding TS or FS in front of the names of the maps if they don't already have them. BTW I did notice some new spotlights...(kinda sad Yelcraz Island and Lake Istelv didn't make the cut after the long work I put into them...but meh oh well.)

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice, Muldrake. Making any for the forums? #Tongue

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to admit, I don`t really like the expandable menus. I really liked being able to simply click on Forum, and then be there. Now I have to click on Site first, and now it`s a little more inconvenient...

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ROFL.

I didn't drink too little yesterday, and now I'm still pretty dizzy after sleeping for 7 hours... opened this site and was like WTF!!???!!?111?ß

Oh yeah new design huh? humm time will tell whether I like it, it looks pretty good, that's for sure.
But having to open a tab on the left might be a bit annoying, might remove that feature for easier feature accessability... or something

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As i told you before Muldrake, its awesome. Wink

Though did i not tell you to expand the left top menu by default? #Tongue

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DCoder wrote:
Nice, but ... http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ppmsite.com%2F
Also, someone should send Mul on a Semantic HTML course.

... when I had the design pretty much finalised in november I made sure it was xhtml compliant.. those errors are new to me, so... Banshee?

Is my html really that bad?

Ixith wrote:
I like the new look. It is interesting. Though it did take a bit longer to load it up or at least it seemed to me.

Yeah, it does take a little longer to load, but its never taken as long as is now, but the whole of PPM is running slow for me at the moment..

Ixith wrote:
Though I did notice something interesting....although I am sure its an edit thing you guys are still doing. But at least in the Spotlighted maps part of the Tiberian Sun section of the main page some maps show up 2 times. I think this is because you guys are going through and adding TS or FS in front of the names of the maps if they don't already have them. BTW I did notice some new spotlights...(kinda sad Yelcraz Island and Lake Istelv didn't make the cut after the long work I put into them...but meh oh well.)

Damn, I'll have a look at that, thanks for pointing that out.

Destiny wrote:
Very nice, Muldrake. Making any for the forums? #Tongue

I'm not sure I could complete a full design for the forums, that plus nothing should be worked on the forums now, as eventually it'll move to phpbb3.

DeathRay2K wrote:
I have to admit, I don`t really like the expandable menus. I really liked being able to simply click on Forum, and then be there. Now I have to click on Site first, and now it`s a little more inconvenient...

Its something I wanted to try out, basically so.. there is potentially a lot more information easily accessible from the top of the main page, without a vast amount of scrolling being needed. The whole rearrangement of the site was to provide a more useful front page, so the major parts can be reached without scrolling.
But if people really don't like it, it can be easily removed. Or we could just have the site section already open?

Suiseiseki wrote:
..Is there a way to get the old one back? I preferred it.

Tell me what you prefer, and I could potentially work on improving it?

I appreciate that its different, and so may annoy people so I'm more than willing to try and work on it so it gets better for people.

EDIT: TSHyper, yeah.. you did. I forgot, sorry!

Equiredox
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Equi, what you're saying is basically "Yeah, this is bad, but look at that guy, he's even worse!". That is not really something to be proud of.

Muldrake, firstly, XHTML is still only for pages which display non-standard content such as mathematical expressions (MathML) or RSS/Atom feeds, or sites run by elitist wannabes, good old HTML 4.01 Strict is still the best for most sites. However, in this case that is a moot argument, since Revora's networkbar only works with XHTML (blah). (Here's a good reference thread explaining XHTML vs HTML.)
Most of the errors in the validator are because the & in URL are supposed to be escaped like "&" , something that the validator tells you in bold letters after each error.
About your HTML semantics... W3C describes the intended purpose of each element. E. g., <p> is used to denote a paragraph of text, <ul> denotes an unordered list, etc. In an ideal world, you should only use elements for their intended purpose.
Some semantical best practices:
  • A list of links goes into, that's right, <ul>, <ol> or <dt> elements. Not into <p> or some other box.
  • <table> is only used to display actual tabular data and not to lay out the design.
  • <h1> - <h6> are used for headings, not <span>.
  • <blockquote> is the proper container for citations, not <div class="quote">.
  • Class names and IDs reflect the intent, not the style.
  • <div> and <span> are fallbacks for cases when you don't have an element dedicated to this purpose, not universal wonders that should be used everytime you can.
  • JavaScript enhances the site, doesn't control it (meaning, most of the stuff should work without JavaScript enabled).
  • Disabling CSS doesn't render the content unreadable.

As for the collapsed menus, wouldn't it be easier to make them open up as soon as you scroll over them?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...Anyway. In my opinion, the layout is good. I Like it to be honest. It's also nice to finaly see Intoxication and Seige City spotlighted. #Tongue

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, after reading that DC, i think i better go back to college #Tongue

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apologies for killing the forum there..

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of the errors were inherited from the new links added on PPM's birthday (SVN ones). So, my fault.

Some others came from one of the news from RotD and a later news about PPM Plays Festival :: RotD day from Muldrake. But these are blamed to phpBB that refuses to allow you to add a /> in the end of the img tag, when you write the html code on your own.

I've fixed them all.

Last edited by Banshee on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay, shiney!

Any more suggestions from people?

Daz, you mentioned the banner didn't look that professional. Suggestions?

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not really sure, it's just there's this quite cool layout with the sci-fi bracket things and then the banner is some text slapped over some faction icons with the tagline in a box underneath.

It's probably the image integration that's getting me, so:

I think dropping the icons might be better, keep the PPM text as it is, lose the box around the tagline,make the tagline about half it's current size and get it all on one line under the PPM text.
Maybe lose the brackets around the banner too, or make them small on each end of the tagline.

Something like attached, but aligned properly and without the bits of icon in the PPM text.
Obviously black is transparency, and you can cut the blank parts of to take a tiny bit off load time.

And news posts being centred instead of aligned left would stop them looking off balance because of the 3 column nature of the layout.

ppmban.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.91 KB
 Viewed:  16666 Time(s)

ppmban.jpg

Last edited by Daz on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The faction icons are a must have thing, Daz. I won't allow a PPM design without them.

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well just change the tagline bit then.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked the new look, but I prefer the old one;) and the old logo is way better than the new one. Good try though:p

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As much as you might dislike it, the logos put it down IMO.

If your gonna add logos, you should add the logos from each C&C game to it...

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or at least do something other than just paste them behind the text.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TSHyper wrote:
As much as you might dislike it, the logos put it down IMO.

If your gonna add logos, you should add the logos from each C&C game to it...

i agree.
final dawn is dead.

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i miss the old days like last year ah those were the days
i miss the old style like one from last year
and a skin like the front page wouldn't hurt now would it if ya know what i mean eh? nudge nudge wink wink Wink

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, i think an actual thread indicator would be cool. which would alter the website's hue.
probably too much work though. just an idea.

banshee wrote:

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed, that'd be sexy. Select one and it turns a certain hue, and the dropdown menu attached is that hue. Also, aside from the bars, it doesn't feel Tiberium Wars-ish much. =| Put some tiberium in it maybe or add some TW GDI logos in.

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, I have one more criticism. It seems like the navigation takes up as much space as it used to, but there is much, much less information, due to the large images for each button, making it feel a little clunky.

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChielScape wrote:
BTW, i think an actual thread indicator would be cool. which would alter the website's hue.

Yeah, too much work. Sorry #Tongue.

DeathRay2K wrote:
Oh yeah, I have one more criticism. It seems like the navigation takes up as much space as it used to, but there is much, much less information, due to the large images for each button, making it feel a little clunky.

What? The upper+lower brackets?

A slight revamp of the banner. Any improvement?

ppm_banner_preview.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.74 KB
 Viewed:  16558 Time(s)

ppm_banner_preview.gif

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

give PPM a TW font and effect like the 3 in the logo.

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks better.
Logos are still a bit odd.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The logos ruin it anyway you present it.

Maybe use a image of Tiberium?

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. suggestions to what I can do with the logos? Short of removing them #Tongue.

And, I had originally intended on doing a tiberium based theme to the original front page I did, however as Banshee has reminded me, the modding activities of this site covers more than just the Tiberium games.

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muldrake wrote:
What? The upper+lower brackets?

Yep.

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Take the GDI and Nod logos and put them in the gap on the left of the tagline, then take the other two logos and put them in the gap on the right of the tagline.
You'll have to resize them down somewhat.

That eliminates text pasted over image syndrome.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think what opeing menus are... intuitive (I didn't knew they do so, untill I've read the full post by Banshee). But I like the idea... though, I still want the good ol' style back.

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love the new version, thanks to Muldrake for using his valuable time to make it Smile

Happy new year everyone! Very Happy

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muldrake wrote:
ChielScape wrote:

Yeah, too much work. Sorry #Tongue.

bawls.

bartpp7
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice one banshee very nice inded i love it its a C&C3 GDI looking theme Very Happy

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

since was thrown off abit with the statement. "PPM no longer a blue zone." when its still blue. Maybe a color theme for each "zone"

Severe=Red
High=Orange
Elevated=Yellow
Guarded=Green
Low=Cyan/blue.

kinda what Modd.com did. #Tongue

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If Muldrake's up to it in the future, i was going to propose helping him on a RA Skin, a TS skin, and a Tiberium Wars skin.

christophski the great
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just popped in to look at the news and was surprised at the new theme! I'm sure it's very nice but is it really meant to look like the attached? I'm using beta 2 of firefox 3 (now my primary browser) so it should display perfectly if it's valid code. I'm glad the community is holding together Smile

Screenshot.png
 Description:
Is it meant to look like this?
 Filesize:  202.89 KB
 Viewed:  16335 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh dear... i think there is something wrong :S

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also see the same, that is why i said i liked the old page design better in an earlier post.

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what are you afraid of acid 2 test?

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

correction what ever was done, it is fixed. And all i can say is that i like it #Tongue

Very well done on the design and the work gone into this. Anyway we can make the forum look the same?

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

still like the old one ¬_¬
how about a menu to let you choose which style to use, the new one or the old one and use the blue color scheme or this new feh...
besides i think it would look better blue

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!