Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm
All times are UTC + 0
OTS progress?
Moderators: Judeau
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Equiredox
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject:  OTS progress? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If OTS is dead, maybe we can start a new project to create a game in the spirit of CnC? Get members outside of the cnc community involved, and maybe use an already existing graphics + physics + AI engine to speed up the development process. It's a shame if this doesn't lead anywhere.

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally, I wish for more modding possibilities, and with the newly announced DLL project I felt that the void was filled.

But I'm perhaps not the best person to argue about this issue.

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wondering about OTS, too. Since I heavyly liked the Idea...

Well, how to help then, keeping OTS alive? Is OTS already Open-source? I mean - if everyone who stumbles upon OTS and likes the Idea - and is capable to do something for its benefits - could help out only abit, itd keep OTS at least alive...

yup, neptune size!

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well OTS does stand for Open Tberian Sun the Open Source Tiberian Sun Engine. Correct?

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea. I believe similar ideas exist. like TA Spring.

Equiredox
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will see if I can get some momentum going. But it may take a week or so to see any progress. I will talk to Jad about what is going on, and if he is still up for running it (too late in the night for that now). I hear that he is busy with other projects atm. I will also PM some guys to find out if they are still interested in helping out. We especially need graphics artists.

I presume the first goal will be to have pathfinding working and units 'sloping' and rotating across the terrain accordingly, whilst the graphics artists build the menu design. I still remember renegade's advice from a while back on milestones.

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If this engine will be 3d, how are shp's gonna work out? Confused

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Renegangsta wrote:
If this engine will be 3d, how are shp's gonna work out? Confused

lawl, if it was 3d there wouldnt be SHP's at all.

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but the builds iirc showed shp's being rendered along with voxels

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They can work...like opacity maps. just have the animation cycle on a plane or groups of planes intersecting each other for each direction.

...similar to how grass is usually done in most 3d games. #Tongue...yea its not perfect..though. and tratos is right no need for .shp files..since the image will be an animated texture.

Will this feature a fluid lighting system similar to diablo 2.

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone who has played Populous: The Beginning can see how sprites can work in a 3D game. Basically, its just a plane that faces the camera at all times and displays a different texture depending on which way it's facing relative to the camera.

Equiredox
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I spoke to Jad, and he is quite busy atm with other things. Also, I don't think I will have much time to help out as well I'm afraid. At the end of the day, I don't have many 'free' hours to do as I please.

It is going to take a hell-of-alot of motivation launching this project off the ground. Countless hours spent coding for, well, basically the fun of it - however, what happens when it doesn't become fun?

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just think of where it will get you, if you want to become a programmer as a job you could use this as a credit and im sure several others could help and as for motivation do it for the ladies Smile

Equiredox
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Renegangsta wrote:
do it for the ladies Smile

Being geeky won't get you laid, seriously, been there, done that, it doesn't work.

Geeks and girls mix like oil and water.

Being smooooth on the other hand, is quite beneficial in that regard, with a hint of intelligence to spare so you don't look like the average moron or leisure suit larry type.

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If this engine reaches progress to the point where you need graphics, I suggest that you, for starters, ask permission to use unit and structure renders from the TS:Rising mod for C&C3.

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea what file format will be used in OTS? and will someone make a converter for it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon