Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm
All times are UTC + 0
OS BIG Editor development resumed.
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject:  OS BIG Editor development resumed.
Subject description: I'm ignoring any version with problematic liscense.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

I just wanna inform everyone that I'm resuming the progress on OS BIG Editor.

The current version is 0.58. I'd say it is unstable at the moment, but it is not any critical instability. It still better than 0.5b. Here's the list of things I am targeting for 0.6:

Note:

Featured not started yet
Feature in progress
Feature completed and available on SVN

-> You can create new files
-> BIG files are now saved with and without RefPack compression.
-> The program now open and save .MEG files from Petroglyph games
-> Files are now displayed in a tree view, organized by folders and alphabetic order.
-> Users may add files by dragging and droping them from windows explorer to the program.
-> You may now add directories with the menu
-> You may rename files or directories
-> You may delete files
-> You may move and copy files internaly
-> Multiples languages supported
-> Real Time Edition: It saves the file in every change you do
-> The program should display Bitmaps, JPEGS, PNGs, organize text files and properly display binary files
-> The program should open package files with external programs and associate with other fan tools to preview certain file types.

Most of the orange features were coded already. The main problem lies in the TTreeView component and the way it deals with the delete key, which is extremely annoying. If you hit delete when renaming the file, it deletes the element. The features in orange are in orange because I'll use a customized tree view component to sort this issue.

Other than this, the program needs to final interface changes before being released.

The mod SDK kinda dismotivated me to finish this version, but I'm still aware that this editor would be good for Generals and Battle For Middle Earth I and II modders, so I'm going to finish 0.6 and probably move to another tool after that. Unless I get some kind of motivation to continue it later.

Last edited by Banshee on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:27 am; edited 7 times in total

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, good news. Great that you can now create new BIG files. Very Happy

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And you can create .meg files as well with the latest version in the SVN #Tongue

I just had to give a little support for Petrolution as well.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've updated my progress above. A lot has been done. The program is getting far more stable now, although the interface still needs some heavy improvements.

It still should take a while to be done.

The program now:

-> Loads and saves MEG files from Petroglyph games.
-> Rename files properly.
-> Delete files properly.
-> Load and save files with less memory usage and problems. Note that saving files with RefPack compression will always be very slow (unless someone explains me a faster way to do it or you get a faster hard disk).
-> You can add new directories.

Merri
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For faster RefPack simply don't compress, only use the initial block type. Of course the downside is that instead of ending up with a compression you increase the filesize by about 1/112th.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This option of not compressing is already available, because the tool also support Generals and Battle for Middle Earth modders.

Merri
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant that you'd still use RefPack (because isn't that required in the other games?), but just don't apply the heavy calculation part involved in compression that makes saving RefPack slow Smile

So:

• Write RefPack header
  • Write 0xFC
  • Write 112 bytes of data
  • Write 0xFC
  • Write 112 bytes of data
  • ... etc. continue until you must write the stop block with 0 - 3 bytes of data

You can't even call this "low compression"... maybe this could be "quick packing".

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generals and Battle for Middle Earth doesn't use or recognize Refpack compression.

Refpack is just there for C&C3 and future games. And for C&C3 it already seems to be useless, since the buildmod.bat seems to do the job in a better way.

Anyway, between using your method and not compressing, I prefer to not compress at all #Tongue.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: The program now previews JPGs, Bitmaps and PNGs. It also properly previews binary files.

I'm still messing up with internal file move, which is in very early stages.

Mighty BOB!
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait, what happened with the old 0.6 Beta? Did that one have a license issue?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 0.6 made by Carl Kerner (or whatever he is called) is being ignored. The guy:

-> Ignored the existing liscense and created a completely ridiculous liscense that doesn't allow military people and people from certain countries to use the program, which is unnaceptable.

-> He never distributed his source code, regardless of the many requests that I did. The OS in the name of the program stands for 'Open Source'.

So, I really have to ignore the piece of crap he did. Sorry.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today I finally got this internal file move to work. It was more simple than I thought, but I wasted too much time with it. It seems to be working fine, dispite one or other minor interface issue which I still have no idea on how to fix it. This change is already in the SVN.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And more progress:

-> You may now copy files internally (if you plan to organize them and modify them later, it is useful, otherwise it is not).

-> You may now open files with default external programs.

-> You may now open files with Notepad (requires hacking of the options.ini, since I'll only work in the options on 0.59).

More information in the SVN:
http://svn.ppmsite.com/log.php?repname=OS%20Big%20Editor&path=%2F&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=1

To download it, use Tortoise SVN and check the FAQ:
http://www.ppmsite.com/index.php?go=ppmfaq

Siberian GRemlin
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Updated translation for latest version

Russian.ini
 Description:
OS BIG Editor Russian Language INI for version 0.5.8 Beta made by Siberian GRemlin.

Download
 Filename:  Russian.ini
 Filesize:  8.91 KB
 Downloaded:  370 Time(s)

Westwood Studios forever!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've added that to the SVN. However, there are few notes: At the [Language] section, all left names should be lowercase, to fit the language file names (which should also be in lowercase).

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello guys, today I've made few interesting tweaks in the program to make it a way more confortable than it was. Actually, this program wasn't confortable when you dealt with huge files inside .BIG packages. Now, it is a little bit better. With a quick fix, most of the lag that you had once the file was opened no longer happens. Also, binary files are more friendly to debug with no more word wrap and horizontal scroll bar for those who are not on maximized mode.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OS BIG Editor is slowly becoming fast again. Now I've made a major optimization to save packages a lot faster by making it avoid to recompress previously compressed files, among few other optimizations.

Also, there were some annoying bug fixes.

The program also features a french translation (thanks to [wog]colonel from warofgenerals.com) and a brazilian portuguese translation as well.

The chinese and russian translations needs some minor updates.

My next steps are to test the changes with .MEG files from this revision and update the Preferences window.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope the auto saver has the option to turn it off

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's off by default.

[wog]colonel
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i give you the french ini langage .

french.zip
 Description:
french ini langage for os big editor 0.58 SE

Download
 Filename:  french.zip
 Filesize:  3.86 KB
 Downloaded:  331 Time(s)

Aussie Bomber
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wondering if it is possible to encode a .cdata viewer. Is it possible? :/

.|___|
..\__/
....\/

Now throw agrenade out the window & see What happens

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, it is far too much complicated to do such thing. Bin Opener is the best we can get for .cdata content.

Aussie Bomber
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm. Is it possible to move some software files into OS Big Editor? ;-/

.|___|
..\__/
....\/

Now throw agrenade out the window & see What happens

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Err... no.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum