Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm
All times are UTC + 0
New Terrain
Moderators: Dutchygamer, Lt Albrecht
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [65 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject:  New Terrain Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the RA2MV's Terrain topic! Here you will see the new terrain created for this mod.
As you may know, we where going to use MadHQ's terrain, but some ppl said it was overused, and it gave problems with TX. So we (the team) decided to create our own terrain. One problem though: we had 0 experience #Tongue And as the only person with free time, I decided to give it a try. Here's the result of 5 days working (which are also the first 5 days I've worked with terrain #Tongue):

I'd say it doesn't look that bad #Tongue

Comments please!

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I said on MSN, wow!
5 days for this! what are you going to do next week? learn to make infantry? #Tongue (jk, i've taken enough of your time this holiday Wink)

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is actually very good. I See my comments payed off in the end.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes they did Aro Wink
But I do have a question to you all: do you know what that third terrain is? Rocks? Sand and grass? I can't seem to get the WW logic. The call sand 'Green' in example...
Anyways, next stop: concrete! Then I'll do the rocks/sand/whatever it is, and slopes after that. Then I'll see what's left of Temperate terrain... And no Albrecht, I won't do infantry. I still have an AI to fix IIRC #Tongue

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it was a joke #Tongue I don't want to work you to death maybe exhaustion once in a while, but only when necessary Laughing

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Add in bit more dirt into the dark grass... #Tongue

partyzanPaulZy
Commander

Location: laptop? ... otherwise the Czech Republic -> south Moravia Posts: long int Posts;

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something reminds me Warcraft 2 . #Tongue
Good work! Wink

Don't blame the others if you haven't checked your own (in)ability in the first case.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Something reminds me Warcraft 2 .

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Dutchy, re-do it!
jk. I'm just not a warcraft fan #Tongue

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that is actually really good. nice job.

Retired YR Player
Steam Account : MAS93
Xfire: msbiohazard

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Sleepwalker
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is not so good actaully #Tongue
But there is hope... All you have to do is to redo all the edges. Because these are ugly. It doesn't look natural at all.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I looked at the WW ones... Also, when I tried it differently (making the terrain blend halfway the cell), the edges didn't look good. Blame WW for not adding 4 extra tiles which can make blendings much better >_<
For all others: thanks for the positive comments Wink After a 'little' SupCom fight (almost 2 hours #Tongue) I'll continue on the pavement...

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks more like green felt than terrain, but OK.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's alright, but the transitions between terrain types are too soft. It doesn't look very realistic.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I told him to re-do that, he'll do it tomorrow Wink

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've takes some inspiration from the new TI terrain for those transitions... Be on the lookout tomorrow Wink Now I'm off playing some RA2 #Tongue

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Beta I gave you?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE!
First view of the new terrain combined with the actual mod #Tongue Because Albrecht wanted a pic of the new terrain while I was killing the enemy, I made some:

As you can see, the transitions have been updated, and the new rocky terrain has been done. Radar colours have been fixed too. Now left is the Pavement, slopes, shores, cliffs and dirttracks.
Comments please!

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simply...classified. If you get what I mean.

Ah yes, people! In the first pic, those "Flak Troopers" are NOT the ones whom are firing those arty shells...those "tanks" behind them are. Looks like our AT Troopers did, eh? Dutchy is a genius...

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you really need that many tactical bombers?? :O They *might* be a bit OP ATM, even with the price set to 2000 instead of 1 (oops...).
Nice though, get on with the slopes, I meant do them first then some screens, but this is still good Wink

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think the pavement under the tech airport in the first picture is too smooth and clean...... other than that great!

Retired YR Player

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pavement is WiP. I'll do the slopes first (on Albrecht's request).

!DarkRose
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
I've takes some inspiration from the new TI terrain for those transitions... Be on the lookout tomorrow Wink Now I'm off playing some RA2 #Tongue

Wooow so youve been studying my terrain i made for TI to get ideas on your transitions that sounds kool lol, so you like my terrain then #Tongue

How long have you been making terrain cause your making good progress Razz

Silly taco fumbling unicorns nocturnally launch basketballs, Hell March.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

he's been working for just over a week IIRC

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Albrecht's right DarkRose, I've started a week ago with creating TMP's. And yes, your terrain style has influenced my new transition tiles. It is very good you know Wink
I do have a question to someone who uses TMP Studio to make his/her terrain: how do you create those slopes? It seems when c/p a pic into TMP Studio, it just uses the 1x1 cell, instead of the slope area. I hope you understand what I mean...

!DarkRose
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I havent a clue how to do the slopes in TMP Studio, but i use XCC TMP Editor for them its alot easier just right click and paste complete and done, so you should get TMP Editor if you havent already got it and use it along with TMP studio as this is what most people tend to do.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh, I tried it before (some years ago), but I haven't tried the new version. Thanks for the advice Smile
EDIT: which version do you use? 1.04 or 1.05?

!DarkRose
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got that one already. Thanks for helping me. Expect some updates soon. But first I've got an AI to fix >_<

!DarkRose
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem mate, if you need anymore help just ask lol.
Keep up the great work.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

INCOMING TRANSMISSION!
TRANSLATING, PLEASE STANDBY!
TRANSLATED!

Some more pics of the new terrain. Now with the new and improved pavement Smile Also, I seem to have some trouble with re-texturing the slopes. If you want to know what problems exactly, have some decent knowledge of TMP Studio, and can possibly help me, PM me please Wink
And of course the pics you where waiting for #Tongue

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, something about the pavement bothers me...

It seems a little too smooth compared to the other terrains.

Edit for clarification- Smooth texture-wise, but trying to appear rough.

Last edited by EVA-251 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AWesome.

Yea, but the pavement looks a bit too rugged o.o

!DarkRose
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe scale the pavement texture down and add a bit of noise to counter the smoothness.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too smooth? And I thought it would be too rough #Tongue I'll see what I can do to improve it...

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh, I guess the real problem is the size of the texture in relation to the other terrain types.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't worry, it's been redone. I'll try to see if I can get an ingame pic soon...

Sleepwalker
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much better *clap clap*

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATING!
DONE!
Small preview:

More pics may follow soon.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nothing wrong with the work you've done as it does look good in my opinion but maybe you should try changing the cliffs in general Instead of just simply recoloring them.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The transitions between the grass and cliffs look very rough and one the cliff pieces has the wrong tint.
Also, the you lost a little detail using that shade of brown

Although I disagree with Aro because we dont all have his godly skills or DRs and/or whoever does the awesome terrain of TI, I think doing custom cliffs would look even better and fit in more.

(as an aside, that is what I first considered when starting my terrain project- desaturating stock RA2 terrain)

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro, I work on Albrecht's request. He said the cliffs should stay, only they shouldn't be orange, but more grey-like. I took a middle path between this. And as EVA said: not all of us has the skills and time to completely redo the cliffs. I still have some dirtroads to do, which take up 1/8 of all Temperate tiles...
EVA, thanks for noticing the cliff. Fixing it right away Wink Also, I can't help the loss of detail: I just recolor them, but it seems isotem.pal doesn't support that many tints of brown. And about the transitions: I may fix that later on...
Still thanks for the comments from both of you Smile

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think its beautiful. i like it. alot

Retired YR Player

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
Aro, I work on Albrecht's request. He said the cliffs should stay, only they shouldn't be orange, but more grey-like. I took a middle path between this. And as EVA said: not all of us has the skills and time to completely redo the cliffs. I still have some dirtroads to do, which take up 1/8 of all Temperate tiles...
EVA, thanks for noticing the cliff. Fixing it right away Wink Also, I can't help the loss of detail: I just recolor them, but it seems isotem.pal doesn't support that many tints of brown. And about the transitions: I may fix that later on...
Still thanks for the comments from both of you Smile

Yeah, the original sand I had was alot darker..but became an ugly colorless orangish blob

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ztype isotem.pal...go make your own palette! #Tongue

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

raminator wrote:
ztype isotem.pal...go make your own palette! #Tongue

rami speaks wisdom~

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, then I'm a step closer taking over the mod from Albrecht #Tongue I may consider it, but I must discuss that with Albrecht first, but he's in Turkey now, having his deserved holiday Wink

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe he's there eating turkey, while thinking up ideas? Tests are going smoothly, don't find much of any imbalances or such.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm Back! Laughing Yeah... Dutchy has to do all the terrain by himself and although he's good he isn't godly. Remember that.

And will people stop moaning about what should be done and instead help it get done, a hint here, a little help there and a contribution or two goes a loooooonnnngggg way. And makes you look like a nicer person. Wink

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And will people stop moaning about what should be done and instead help it get done,

By saying what can and or should be done is helping. The only thing I've seen people do here is give suggestions. Confused

Anderwin
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IS looking really good. Maybe the dark grass can be a lit more bright?

The cliff look greats too Smile

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon