Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Recreating YR in 3D
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [95 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Hello There
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like how you made the pavements to 3D.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, this engine is looking good! Top notch!

YuriX
Medic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Dupl3xxx:
Em...Improving graphics is not the only thing to do. I plan to make something playable instead. Very Happy

raminator wrote:

i guess different terrain will be created threw different texture sets...or will there be a hole set of "models" for each terrain set?

Well, stiil like YR, a terrain set is made up of .tem/.sno/etc but in a new format.
The new format looks like old format but (1) blocks are 3D not 2D and they are not modeled (2) "extra image"s are models to work in 3d. Wink
So you can say there is a whole set of "models".

@Daz:
OK Daz, try this. It's the converter(vxl2obj) without model simplification and texture generation. Smile I just made a copy of the project's but it's simpler which can run without the IDE.
Hope it helps those who want to model in this way.

You can smooth the shape at your option.

Source code is included.
Credited VSLSE's developers for voxel loading code and normal table. I translated the code into C#.

Notice:
.Net Framework 2.0 is required to run.
Make sure your voxel is well "sealed". So invisible faces of a voxel will be ignored by it.

Vxl2Obj.zip
 Description:
download!

Download
 Filename:  Vxl2Obj.zip
 Filesize:  47.83 KB
 Downloaded:  490 Time(s)

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

look impresive! thank you for the shadow i love it. finally i hope you can make it support bump/normal thing.

NewGuy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks awesome.
This tool vxl2obj, it does not convert texture right?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's an excellent idea, people can still create good old voxels and just convert them to models Smile

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will it preview the "finnished" product? Or a screeni of the voxel, then of the obj? I'm not at my home computer so I cann't test it ATM Rolling Eyes

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It only converts the voxel to .OBJ file.

YuriX
Medic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Daz wrote:
You're never going to get good results out of automatic optimisation, you'll need to do it by hand.

and
Daz wrote:
it'd probably be quicker to remake the model using the voxel conversion as a base and building around it.

It's only a converter for Daz's idea on making models from voxels. You import the .obj from your 3d modeling program.
It's not even including model simplification because 3d modeling program can do it or simplifize it by hand is better as Daz said.

NewGuy wrote:
it does not convert texture right?

converting texture is not ready for release sorry. there are still problems to solve.

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Works great.
It simplifies the process aswell, because it's always one mesh there's no framerate hit at any point and you don't have to attach anything.

For the people who haven't quite understood all this gets you is a high polygon count, slightly bobbly model which you can use as a base to make a low poly model around.

Lamoot
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps you could use some of these models made for the now dead Generals mod Road to Moscow.

renders:
http://www.box.net/shared/aevsxhfs77

models:
http://www.box.net/shared/ml9lvgnipy

If it says 'Soulreaver' it means it was made by me (Lamoot).

Hopefully someone would be willing to use this and finish the work. The models can be edited if you want, since they were made with certain polygon budget in mind and might be a bit too optimized on certain parts. Just give the credit to the original authors Wink

And no, I can't offer any other help with this project Wink

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, Lamoot, isnt you a that guy from fife' irc chanel?

Lamoot
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yp Smile

NewGuy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Lamoot your models are very good. Is it ok with you if I convert some of them to voxels?

Chronojam
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is quite impressive. I've got some hope for this especially considering the work you've done to get those supporting tools made. Certainly you could find loads of willing volunteers to then take them and help churn out the terrain part models? If this really gets off the ground you've instantly got a huge library of maps which is an amazing asset to your efforts, making the converter was an ace idea. I'll definitely be following this, keep the news flowing. It's one hell of a surprise to get dumped on you! I'm in favor of the R3D moniker for this.

ViPr wrote:
this is great. i've been waiting ages for someone to do this. now i'd like it to have first person view with each vehicle controlled by another player. kthnxbai.

Hey ViPr, long time, no see. Your work on the 3ds to Voxel work was amazingly useful and let us create some great stuff, it's too bad my YR mod never got done because we got distracted by... other things you might be interested in.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are that RA2 units in Battlefield 1942? #Tongue

Stygs
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, that are RA2 units in a Renegade mod #Tongue

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If those models would be included in R3D, "who knows" by Marion Black Wink

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Lamoot:Do you bother if I edit some of your work and use it in my mod?(total credit,of course).

I need some boost-up,I'm kinda busy with some personal problems Smile

Lamoot
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
@Lamoot:Do you bother if I edit some of your work and use it in my mod?(total credit,of course).

sure, no problem, just give credit to appropriate people, since I didn't make all of the stuff Smile

YuriX
Medic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Lamoot:
Thank your for the models, Lamoot.

Here is a test video on path finding.

The boxes are terrain objects(i.e. trees/ traffict lights/etc) I don't have models for them. Like "missing cameo"s, boxes are displayed.

Note that the locomotor is still wip for a pathfinding test. So the tank move very fast and looks it have a large ROT.
And the pathfinder didn't check terrain objects(i.e. trees/ traffict lights/etc) yet, so the tank directly moves through those objects.
Oh well, it'll be better soon. #Tongue

I plan to add some physics effects. I had made a physics simulator last year. it's no problem to get it to work in the engine. Wink Here is a vid of that simulator.

The collision detection in the vid is model-level. collision shape is generated by the program automatically. No more work is needed.

I have improved the shadows, it looks less pixelly now.

I am going to university in the upcoming September. This will get unupdated because there is a school military tranning in the first month. And the uni don't allow Internet in the first year. but I also heard that they actually don't care. Anyway, I can apply for a ADSL and modify the modem, making it looks like something else(maybe a phone) so no one will know. If that doesn't work I can still access Internet in com. classroom, which is the worst case.
If everything goes well I will be back in October. And get hosted then. Very Happy

Chronojam
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is getting better and better. By the way, what the hell kind of university disallows internet for the first year...?

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

first youtube-video does not work...

Edit: now it does but the second not #Tongue

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

isn't that a fault with youtube? for the past few months many videos haven't worked at different times.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Strangely,for me it worked,maybe a bit slower,but it worked Embarassed

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, this is really starting to take shape!

The path finding looks interesting, but i wonder, will you be implementing some type of locomotor for each ObjectType?

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The collision...hmm. This whole thing looks VERY promising.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think YuriX just smashed all other competitants! This engin has a fututre! Give away source? Perhaps pääd can do some magic with it?

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok i think he can make proper commercial games with his work. so you can't expect him to give away his source for this because he will be throwing away his livelihood.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to miss all those tiles and sprites...

Alas 2D gfx, thou hast not survived, R.I.P.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't miss sprites as long as he makes the 3d engine capable of per pixel lighting effects

YuriX
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Hyper:
I will implement all 10 types of locomotors IIRC. And you can code your own ones in plugin DLL.

@Dupl3xxx:
The source code will be realeased under an opensource license but not now. #Tongue

There is still a hope for 2D sprites -- simply lock the camera to YR's view.
Make 2D objects 60 degrees to the ground so they will face to you(they are simple planes). Unlike other 3d models they shouldn't be lit.

Camera settings are in rulesmd.ini
Code:

[General]
; Camera settings
CameraCanRotate = false
CameraFieldOfView = 180   ; in angle,  lesser than 5 or bigger than 175 for orthographic view
CameraCanZoom = false
CameraOrthoViewZoom = 80  ; bigger for larger view
CameraHeight=60

In this case cliffs are easier to make. They are simply textured quads.

test.jpg
 Description:
Only the orthographic view. I didn't try 2d assets. :p
 Filesize:  141.81 KB
 Viewed:  13068 Time(s)

test.jpg

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you thought about the minimap yet? It could just be a second camera with a locked angle.

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YuriX this shit looks awesome man.. I cant wait until you release Very Happy

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice! Especially that YR view.

Your also using my YR map I see. #Tongue

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

make the minimap "click-able" click it and it covers the entire screen! Something like in BF2 Very Happy Now, This is getting better each time I view this thread Wink

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! A milestone in comparison to what we had before.

Dny
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! this AWESOME stuff is becoming better i cn't wait until release Smile

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ViPr wrote:
ok i think he can make proper commercial games with his work. so you can't expect him to give away his source for this because he will be throwing away his livelihood.

If he open sources with something like the GPL, then he still retains copyright over the code he has written (and can require copyright assignment to any contributions he includes in an official build if he wants) and can provide proprietary licensing to other companies wanting to make closed source games based on the engine. Any company that uses the GPL license would have to provide the source to any modifications and additions they made.

WolfyGirl
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Intresting mod.
Are there also beta versions that will come in the future or not? Smile
This mod does me thinking of Generals and Tiberium Wars o.o

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is not a mod, it's a stand-alone 3d engine which will have YR game logics plus more.

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Lamoot I think I might have a use for those model up there, I will credit you of course #Tongue

Probably for a rescale in YR.

TiberFCSL
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What happened to this project? I think it's brilliant!!!!

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

banderi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeh, it's just awwwwesome! Very Happy

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon